repo question...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that without a title you're screwed. My guess is that you'd have to go to civil court for it, and try to prove to a judge that the car belongs to you. That will be tough without a title. So you'd be trying to prove it's yours by other means, IE: receipts, pictures, testimony, etc. It's likely you'd end up paying far more than the $800 to get the car back if you went the legal route. So realistically you have two choices: Buy it back for the $800, or cut your losses and find another one.

I've had problems buying cars/motorcycles with no titles in the past, and I will never do it again. Not worth the hassle.

What's with the Crimson Tide??? and is Texas a southern state??? If so Raphatutti (w/e) should loose a point.

1. That's something that happens to ladies once a month.

2. Texas is indeed a southern state. Both geographically (that means on one of dem Der maps for you bama boys) and we participated in the Civil war on the side of the confederacy.( we were really into rebelling back then)

3. Texas requires a title. My orange truck has a clear Alabama title that I cant transfer until it passes inspection. Texas requires an extra inspection on out of state transfers.

4. Texas doesn't lose points when someone out of state does something stupid. We have our own dumbasses to worry about.

Vehicles 1979 and older do not require a title in Alabama.

I sure wish Raggleflaggle would just let me have it.

I was considering that too.

Try again. Vehicles '75 and older do not require a title in Alabama. All of my cars and trucks '76 and newer have had them.

2. Texas is indeed a southern state. Both geographically (that means on one of dem Der maps for you bama boys) and we participated in the Civil war on the side of the confederacy.( we were really into rebelling back then)

3. Texas requires a title. My orange truck has a clear Alabama title that I cant transfer until it passes inspection. Texas requires an extra inspection on out of state transfers.

4. Texas doesn't lose points when someone out of state does something stupid. We have our own dumbasses to worry about.

------------------

1. I can't argue with.

2. Thanks for clearing that up, however I feel your rhetoric is slighty condescending. And Texas was the last to give up if I remember correctly.

3. See above post for year clarifications on titles. Cars in Alabama do not have to pass any inspections YET. Our air is still fairly clean.

4. We have plenty of dumbasses here also. If you're looking for sympathy it is between shit and syphillis in the dictionary. Points should stay the same.

we have the non title for antiques thing in maine too. I actually hate it.

I had the title for my 69 510 signed over to me, and I brought it in to get it registered and they used it as a BOS and gave it back. No title from maine. Not that I ever plan to sell it, but if I wanted to, and the buyer was from say Mass (a whopping 15 miles from our southern border, who requires titles) it would be a ROYAL PITA. Maine does offer a "warranty title" that basically states that the state considers the car the property of the seller, and when offered with a BOS should count in MA to get you a title, But I haven't tried it.

were a little backwards for new England, but I wouldn't need a title to buy, register, or drive stuff up here so long as its 25 years or older. I'm hoping to see some r33s up here at the end of the year!

Sorry Taterhead,  I might have been a little on the condescending side there.  That was in response to Mike's insinuating that Texas should be held responsible for Alabaman mistakes compiled with RaggleFLaggle (nice screen name btw) saying that Texas wishes it was southern.

As far as inspections go, we have nice air here too.  Only a couple of counties require an emissions test.  The inspection I'm referring to checks the safety and legality of the vehicle and you get a little window sticker.  Before transferring a title from out of state, the vehicle is required to pass an inspection to make sure it complies with Texas laws and is road worthy.  My truck doesn't run yet, therefore I can't pass that inspection.  Therefore, my title is still in the name of the guy I bought it from in Alabama.  

edit: And the points thing is a running gag from when I first joined the sight.

EDIT #2: I noticed I misspelled RaggleFlaggle!  Sorry!  I really do like that Screen name.  I was not being sarcastic or rude.

Edited by Rhapakatui

I just sold my 79 Cherokee. Happened to have lost the title. I called the DMV, as did he, and was told that vehicles 25 years or older do not require a title. That means next year a 1980 vehicle is exempt and so forth.

No apology needed Rhap. I was just using larger words in my rebuttal to show that all Bama boys aren't dumbasses. I smelled what you were stepping in. Text+ sarcasm = no bueno. Yeah we don't even have that inspection but can be fined by police if something is fixed using redneck ingenuity. You got that Infiniti torn apart yet?

I just sold my 79 Cherokee. Happened to have lost the title. I called the DMV, as did he, and was told that vehicles 25 years or older do not require a title. That means next year a 1980 vehicle is exempt and so forth.

If that's the case then the law has been changed in the last 5 years

You got that Infiniti torn apart yet?

Mostly.  I need to pull the dash to get at the last of the electrical bits that I need.  I've been spending a lot of time messing around with my 77 goon.  I told my wife the other day that if I had spent as much time on the truck as I have on the goon lately, it'd be ready to crank up and drive back roads by now. 

Without titles, how the fuck does the state keep track of who owns the vehicles? Do they have registration? how can you do registration without knowing who owns the vehicle?

I know in Cali you don't need to sign or notarize a title to sell it, they just check to see if it's stolen. Which is more lax then here in AZ. But no titles at all, that just seems stupid. I'd be curious to hear what kind of problems crop up from that.

There is registration. It's always good to have the registration slip from the last registered owner. 

Not sure how far they go into checking those records though. When I registered my 73 Beetle, the DMV lady got the last owner's name completely wrong when typing up my information from the bill of sale.

Without titles, how the fuck does the state keep track of who owns the vehicles? Do they have registration? how can you do registration without knowing who owns the vehicle?

I know in Cali you don't need to sign or notarize a title to sell it, they just check to see if it's stolen. Which is more lax then here in AZ. But no titles at all, that just seems stupid. I'd be curious to hear what kind of problems crop up from that.

May not be super relevant to the thread... but more states are doing this. Connecticut does not issue tittles for vehicles older then 25 years either. Never got one after transferring ownership and registering it - assumed it got lost in the mail- went to get a replacement and was informed they dont do them... 

I guess registration is all that is needed.... still wish I had a title for the car though... not stoked on not having it

edit: And the points thing is a running gag from when I first joined the sight.

No worries I gave you the last #10 point.

Hey... any animal that bleeds for a week but doesn't die is pretty imporessive in my books and should also get a point.

Dang, so somebody could spend $40,000.00 on Jay Lenos duster and never get to really drive it. His was probably sitting in a super sized humidor for the last 40 years with no title

OR, anyone from one of the states that don't need titles could register it and drive the crap out of it with a BOS from jay. And it seems like that's most of the south, ME, NH, CT...... ect

and there are ways to get titles for cars in some states. MA for example there is an application process which involves a bill of sale, a registration from the previous owner, inspection from the police where they look for the VIN number, verify the vehicle exists, check to make sure it isn't stolen ect. A PITA? yup, but not impossible, and I would avoid it if I could.

• 2 weeks later...

2014 - 25 = 1989

Titles,

no titles,

BoS,

registration only,

let me tell you how it works in my state/country even though it won't help you,

how the hell does your system work down there even though they've been doing it that way for years...

So much confusion in this thread.

Even without tits, this thread is amusing.

Not saying tits would'nt definitely make it better though.

And to the OP, I wish you all the luck you need to figure this shit out son.

Ya, I know, zombie thread