Bills Datsun Shoppe

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I didnt have him do any work, but I asked about a 1200 parts car he had on the side---wanted $2000 grand! Literally only a parts car...said it was rare and worth more than that, if I didnt like the price, dont buy it.........my friend however went with a b210 for a tune up......over $200.......wow. Still had carb issues.....

well, I didnt have him do any work, but I asked about a 1200 parts car he had on the side---wanted $2000 grand! Literally only a parts car...said it was rare and worth more than that, if I didnt like the price, dont buy it.........my friend however went with a b210 for a tune up......over $200.......wow. Still had carb issues.....

WOW..WOW..WOW.....WTF 200.00 REALLY?....I dont know the details of course....but Im going to say a high % of peeps here can tune up a B210 with in 1.5 hours MAX...with less then a 100.00 dollars in parts....if we are talking a "TUNE UP"...post the details to be fair, parts cost....time and such, would be interesting to know what they charged for.

Meh, I don't think that that's THAT obscene of a price. Figure about $70-80 for parts, and what's average shop rate up in Portland.. about $80/hr? That's really not much of a robbery for having a tune-up done at a shop. $200 is on the high side, but again.. I don't know what an average shop rate is in Portland.

On a side note; I believe that if you're going to own a Datsun, you should put forth the effort to acquire some basic tools and knowledge of a stupid-simple car to work on. If you just want to drive one and not learn or want to get your hands dirty, well.. you're at the mercy of people who are going to charge you what they want.

• Like 4

200 hundo for a tune up doesn't sound unreal. What's unreal is the prices people that don't know shit about cars pay to "mechanics" In my area. I was quoted 450 for a rear o2 sensor on my Tacoma. It's 2 bolts and a plug right before the cat and done. Where was the hundreds of dollars of work involved? How about 280 for rear break shoes on a mini van. Most "mechanics" are crooks from what I've learned.

This is not in defence of any one auto shop that may or may not be located in Clackamas, Oregon.

The overhead to run a business these days is unbelievable.   Rent on the land, the building, upkeep on the faculities, TAXES, utilities, usually at a much higher rate than residential fees, employee costs, wages, benefits, insurance, and on and on, and on.

That is why is costs so much to have a shop do any work on a car.

I bought my 1996 Ford Aerostar at a Ford dealer on NE 122nd, in Portland, Or.  At about 18,000 miles, a switch on the brake pedal broke, the switch that turn off the cruise control.  It was a warranty issue, no cost to me.  When I took the Aerostar to the dealer I bought it from, the service adviser recommended I get a "fuel injector cleaning" done for a forgotten charge, that I would have to pay for.  At 18,000  miles.  I refused the cleaning.  That was the last time I did any business with that Ford dealer. 

I used to work at a boat dealership.  I had to do some warranty work on new boats.  At the boat dealership, warranty work was submitted to the boat company, and it paid about 60% to 80% of what our normal labor rates were.  Basically, by the time you include all the costs associated with the warranty repair, the local shop loses money.

Running a business is expensive, way more expensive than you think.  But there are some businesses that take advantage of the uninformed, or the people who have no desire to get their hands dirty.

I have visited Bill's Datsun Shoppe.   I did not buy anything.  We did get into a discussion, about exhaust systems.  He said a 2 inch exhaust system was too free flowing, it was too big.  He recommended something smaller, and by the way, I can also sell you some headers for your 521.  I have not visited Bill's since.

So back to the beginning and these guys are just confirming the first statement. "not overcharge at Bill's" . 

And also just an Opinion given by someone who normally feels ripped off by mechanics.  And avoid most of them unless you get one of those problems that just throws you off.

like a stuck choke linkage.  The guy seems to be more helpful to people who have a basic mechanical understanding.  And he wants a fortune for his "gold"...

don't want it - don't buy it.

RR 

So back to the beginning and these guys are just confirming the first statement. "not overcharge at Bill's" .

And also just an Opinion given by someone who normally feels ripped off by mechanics. And avoid most of them unless you get one of those problems that just throws you off.

like a stuck choke linkage. The guy seems to be more helpful to people who have a basic mechanical understanding. And he wants a fortune for his "gold"...

don't want it - don't buy it.

RR

That's one example of a grey area on that place. Feel free to read all the previously linked threads on actual horrible service. This isn't a case about skewed judgement over a $200 tune-up. It's legitimately poor service and prices repeatedly for years.

• Like 1

Like i said, i helped fix a wagon broken down on the freeway, guy had his carbs rebuilt, went to bill for some work, picked up his car and jfuck told him hey your carbs need tuned, guys like these were just rebuilt and tuned and ran fine, starts car runs like shit, he was not happy, then teh repairs jfuck did ended up breaking on him on the freeway. Only go to trusted datsun mechanics, like if you could get dan hart to do work for you like me and my dad do, hes one of the best datsun mechanics in the freaking world, but good luck getting him to do anything unless your a friend since he retired.  Altered motives and nelson off hwy 99 in tigard is a great mechanic to for datsuns.  

Nelson @ altered motives  in Tigard got me out of jams a couple times in ways that no normal business would. Great solid Datsun and general drive-ability knowledge. Good communication even though the shop was jammed with cars. I would trust that if he quoted me a price it was specific to a job or procedure.... he has enough experience to know what the job entails and costs... and he is asking for enough money for the shop to do a workmanlike job. 

• Like 1

Just a heads up for anyone wanting a good quality header for a better price than this joke of a shop, give Kirk Racing a call. The A-series headers are the original Nismo design. The L-series are long tube headers. Note these are race headers with large 1.5" primaries and 2.5" outlet.

http://www.kirkracing.com/