What are you listening to???

On 6/30/2023 at 7:38 PM, Duncan said:

Small world !! Back in late 80's - early 90's we tried to make the 'Big Bug Shootout' Volkswagen weekend at the 'Texas Raceway' dragstrip south of Dallas for the Fall event. The raceway is just west of the historic little town of Ennis TX. One year we made a point to just spend an hour or two walking around Ennis and absorbing some of the history and culture of the town. We happened into a little used junk/trinkets shop and the owner came out of the back area wearing a weathered shop apron. In the back of the shop he built new and maintained old wooden vintage golf clubs. We got to talking and asked to see his work area, a quite small and basic craft-area and a trip back in time. We got to talking and he maintained clubs for Tony Joe White and several other people known to many. He was surprised when I mentioned the 'Polk Salad Annie' song. Stuff like this, ya never forget. Ya never know what you'll get into doin a little careful exploring.

• Like 3
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, difrangia said:

'More Than One Way to Skin A Cat', they say !!

If the first little bit of this vid makes ya want to click it off, scoot over to about 5:30 and give a short listen.

this at 6 years old is incredible 

12 hours ago, Ranman72 said:

one of the coolest violins i have ever seen

Ranman72, it's obvious that you're a violin enthusiast. It's also my favorite instrument. IMHO, ounce for ounce no other instrument can create as much emotion as a violin can from barely a pound of wood, wire, & hide-glue; been so for over half a century. The cello comes closest. In the right hands, a cello can move mountains. Nothing sexier than a beautiful woman and a cello together; Caroline Lavelle here. 

Caroline Lavelle #1.jpg

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 2

Caroline Lavelle on cello & Loreena McKennitt on everything else. Recorded September 2006 in the Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain. If you like this find the entire Alhambra concert online with the rest of the musicians playing and enjoy. For me it's magic.

• Like 1

Maybe the best piece from the best movie soundtrack of my lifetime; the "Main Theme' from 'Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid'. Soundtrack composed by Bob Dylan and released in 1973. A masterpiece that is the origin of 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'. If you haven't heard this album or seen this movie, my advice is do some catch-up as soon as you can. Even better search up the old 'Rolling Stone' article covering the main actors in the movie twisting Sam Peckinpaw's arm to bring Bob Dylan on for the soundtrack and his bit part that turned out to be 'Alias' in the movie. I'm attaching the 'Main Theme' and 'Billy 4'. Gun slinger/bounty hunter music, for sure.

• Like 3

In my book, these are the masters. We were privileged to attend two nights in a row of the 'Division Bell/Pulse' tour in 1994 at Texas Stadium in Irving TX. The first night we got stuck in the traffic jam around the stadium and were behind about 20 minutes getting to the gate. We finally got parked and started toward the arena and the sound and lights were booming out of the open oval top of the stadium. We started at a fast walk but within seconds were at a run to get to the front entrance. When we came up the ramp into the arena this song, 'Take It Back' was playing in the instrumental part and the green and gold lasers were panning back and forth over the stage area. It's an understatement that I was overcome by the audio and video, knees buckled, and had to grab onto the railing overhead to keep from going down. It only got better from there. Do yourself a favor and watch the 'Pulse' video. Images: Ticket stubs and poster from the 94 TX concerts.

PF Tix.jpg

PF Division Bell MEM.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/17/2023 at 8:58 AM, difrangia said:

Ranman72, it's obvious that you're a violin enthusiast. It's also my favorite instrument. IMHO, ounce for ounce no other instrument can create as much emotion as a violin can from barely a pound of wood, wire, & hide-glue; been so for over half a century. The cello comes closest. In the right hands, a cello can move mountains. Nothing sexier than a beautiful woman and a cello together; Caroline Lavelle here. 

Caroline Lavelle #1.jpg

when i was in grammar school i played the violin 

when i moved to junior high I quit playing because i didn't think it was a manly instrument 

I defiantly appreciate when artists can play them the way they do 

the one thing I really like is the positive attitude Karolina has and spunkyness while playing 

Edited by Ranman72
  • Like 1

Tina Guo is a long time favorite of mine.  She also travels the world and plays with various classical orchestras as a featured guest artist.  She is from the San Diego area, and also loves playing metal and rock.  The song actually starts about 1:50

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Duncan said:

Tina Guo is a long time favorite of mine.  She also travels the world and plays with various classical orchestras as a featured guest artist.  She is from the San Diego area, and also loves playing metal and rock.  The song actually starts about 1:50

For anyone not acquainted with Tina Gao, just look at her contributions to the epic movie soundtracks of Hans Zimmer over the past decade or two. These people are the Bachs and Beetovens of our generation.  Movie soundtracks are just one of the cultural anchors/mileposts of our culture. I have just discovered Hans Zimmer and Tina Gao over the past half a year or so.. If Ur an culturally inquisitive individual, give them some study. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tina+gao+zimmer

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1