Draynor's steering box brace - Build Thread

So I have been talking about building some steering box braces for a while now. Tonight was the night I got started on it.

Right now I am just mocking the first prototype up. After I make a couple and have tested them on mine and other peoples cars and have them where I am happy, I will start selling them.

Not sure on what a final price will be, to early in the build. But I will be shooting for $30-$45.

Today I almost got all three pieces cut out, limited on time. Tomorrow I will finish cutting, and hopefully have the first one welded up :D. I will add some sort of gusseting, not sure how I am going to attack that yet, all in time...

I am making these out of 1/4" plate. Not pictured, but I do have a plate for behind the strut tower. I cut these with a acetylene torch, Will probably use the plasma on the final product.

I will be updating as I go, Hoping to have a few I can bring to Canby :cool:

* This is the first mock up, this will be cleaned up and the edges rounded out later on.

IMG_0030_zps693e9eca.jpg

IMG_0029_zpsc429d22f.jpg

IMG_0031_zpsb38cc4a7.jpg

IMG_0032_zpsc188064e.jpg

IMG_0033_zpsda586c29.jpg

IMG_0034_zps5ba5bcd7.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be stronger as a bent piece of metal with a gusset vs 2 pieces of metal? Also I would make a longer gusset as it will resist flex more.

Yes. But I am only working with what I have. Don't have anything capable of bending that plate. and really this is more for the fun of it and to get some people box braces that would never really want them before cause of the price.

I'm gonna shoot to make the asking price on these as cheap as possible, while still being very durable. For a cheaper alternative to the $80 ones.

• Like 1

Weird, I already edited that once, and it went back to being all messed up :confused:

It's something that started a couple months ago.  Everytime you edit your post that has a $ in it, it will do that.  Also, if you edit your post and hit delete, it will erase a "quote" if you have one in there.  If you hit backspace, it doesn't do it....  at least that what happens to me. 

A welded and gusseted corner will be plenty strong for this application. And as a side note... if your need a clean bent corner, you can cut your shape out of a piece of box ;) especially 1/4" because of the nice deep radius that makes up the outer edges. You can even change it slightly after the fact and still keep it clean with a little heat.

• Like 2

nice draynor!!!!! ... just dont use my hub as a brace... i was at adams last week with^^^^totally forgot to let u know but i meeting ^^^^ again this weekend too...i have thought about making my own  brace too... i like it keep it up.... adam has your money ,... lol good luck getting it

nice draynor!!!!! ... just dont use my hub as a brace... i was at adams last week with^^^^totally forgot to let u know but i meeting ^^^^ again this weekend too...i have thought about making my own  brace too... i like it keep it up.... adam has your money ,... lol good luck getting it

Lol your hub is safe ;).

No problem, Just let me know, and i'll get it to you...

A welded and gusseted corner will be plenty strong for this application. And as a side note... if your need a clean bent corner, you can cut your shape out of a piece of box ;) especially 1/4" because of the nice deep radius that makes up the outer edges. You can even change it slightly after the fact and still keep it clean with a little heat.

is it 90 degrees from the top of the steering box to the inner fender? i thought thats why they were welded is to make that slight angle correct. i could be wrong, i have never measured it.

Luckily I now have access to a parts car to test fit it on :)

Well didn't get much done today, only had about 20 minutes.

Did a little clean up on the box piece, Should have it welded tomorrow, I hope...

IMG_0036_zps37e31a91.jpg

IMG_0041_zpsb05dd9b4.jpg

Size comparison.

IMG_0040_zps89265ddb.jpg

Alright, got it welded up tonight!

I'm not to happy how the welds turned out. The inner corner I was a little higher on one plate, So I had to run another bead, it built it up more and now looks a bit bulky :(. Also the outer bead was a little wavy...

This was done with a stick welder, 7018 rod. Once I get access to a Mig machine, that will be used.

I took a grinder to the outer weld, came out looking nice :D Going to weld some gussets and drill some holes in this one and call it good. This was just a first mockup piece, Going to change the design a little bit on the next one, give it a better look :)

IMG_0058_zpsa2ce645e.jpg

IMG_0055_zpsf0ba8b4f.jpg

IMG_0057_zps3b83ff16.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsc36aeba3.jpg

IMG_0052_zps88b5feef.jpg

IMG_0069_zps68d1dbb4.jpg

IMG_0067_zps80eb0d62.jpg

IMG_0071_zps447dcd39.jpg

IMG_0075_zpscde4510b.jpg

IMG_0073_zps555c9350.jpg

I think the plate you're using is just too thick. While it does give some stiffness, a proper gusset provides way more of the structural integrity. Plus it would be cheaper for you and, subsequently, others.

I think the plate you're using is just too thick. While it does give some stiffness, a proper gusset provides way more of the structural integrity. Plus it would be cheaper for you and, subsequently, others.

The plate isn't much thicker than the TTT* brace. and really its all I have access too at this time.

We put it through some test, and its damn strong as it is with no gussets.

When I can get some other material, that will be tried out. Right now I am just having fun getting the design of the thing down.

Yea, that has come up. Ive been talking to him. The thinking is, how rigid does it need to be? My guess with 1/4" steel, it doesnt even need a gusset. But with thinner steel and a gusset, it would look stout and be plenty strong.

Just like the rest of the 510 it should be overengineered. You want to be confident that it wont move even under hard turning on a autox course. Because you're not only bracing it do that it doesn't bow in and out, you also want to prevent torsion. I would do 2 long gussets down the sides and be done with it.

• Like 1