fj20et 510

hey everyone I recently came across an fj20et for dirt cheep  I own a 69 4 door 510 can any one tell me if its worth trying to put the fj into my 510 and if so what other thing whould I need to swap out to get it to fit like tranny diff mounts ex ex.... 

thanks all comments appreciated

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a rare engine so parts are rough, but it is a great powerplant. By rare we're not talking regular SR/RB rare. It's like looking for a full EFI A-series setup. They exist, but only in photos... :P

Make sure it is in decent condition. Getting a rare part that's junk is still just a piece of junk no matter how "cheap" it is. If it has serious problems or missing parts it could cost 2-10 times what you paid for it to get it running. Definitely check out mrbigtanker's thread and take a look at how lng it too him to get a crank pulley... FJ20 = Not for the daily driver IMO

• Like 1

It's a rare engine so parts are rough, but it is a great powerplant. By rare we're not talking regular SR/RB rare. It's like looking for a full EFI A-series setup. They exist, but only in photos... :P

Make sure it is in decent condition. Getting a rare part that's junk is still just a piece of junk no matter how "cheap" it is. If it has serious problems or missing parts it could cost 2-10 times what you paid for it to get it running. Definitely check out mrbigtanker's thread and take a look at how lng it too him to get a crank pulley... FJ20 = Not for the daily driver IMO

Got the Pulley.lol

hey everyone I recently came across an fj20et for dirt cheep  I own a 69 4 door 510 can any one tell me if its worth trying to put the fj into my 510 and if so what other thing whould I need to swap out to get it to fit like tranny diff mounts ex ex.... 

thanks all comments appreciated

By the way i have really nice motor mounts to put that FJ right in your dime.your ready already,you like that,and as for stand alone i have a factory ECU i also have a factory intake powder coated already,tranny thats east 83 280z will work if you dont have one i will double check on the bell housing oh you know what the KA24 tranny will bolt right up.your good,just do your self a favor and go through the motor before you build it if its been sitting for a long time,I did not and will pay later,thats ok though its only money just not driving it is the problem,you will love it.

By the way i have really nice motor mounts to put that FJ right in your dime.your ready already,you like that,and as for stand alone i have a factory ECU i also have a factory intake powder coated already,tranny thats east 83 280z will work if you dont have one i will double check on the bell housing oh you know what the KA24 tranny will bolt right up.your good,just do your self a favor and go through the motor before you build it if its been sitting for a long time,I did not and will pay later,thats ok though its only money just not driving it is the problem,you will love it.

The guy mrbigtanker bought the FJ20 from was also planning on sticking it in a 510. He was having a custom oil pan that didn't quite wrork out and custom motor mounts.

Im not sure what the availability of the FJ20ET bits are like in the USA, but based on the comments i'd say they are getting like here, i.e. a lot harder to find.

The FJ20 n/a or Turbo conversion (I had a n/a with webbers in one of my 1600's about 12 years ago) was definitely the preferred option in the mid to late 90's and early 2000.

Without a doubt, down here the SR swap is the way to go now.  Plenty of these beasties about and hopefully will be for a while longer as this transplant is on the wish list for my Goon.

Great power can be had from an FJ, but like others have alluded to, if you go the FJ route, make sure you can source the bits needed to keep it on the road.

Eirher way, good luck with it.

Oh, and if anybody in Aus is chasing one I have a 2nd hand n/a rocker cover and a brand new Turbo exhaust manifold gasket for sale :)

• Like 1

What the hell happen to this guy.I got motor mounts for you hello.

He probably did some research and found out just hard it was to find parts for it or found some prices of some items and went running for the hills! BTW, Mr.B, thank is one fine ass 510. The FJ20 was a Skyline motor right?

Hey every one thanks for all the comments Sry of to so long to read all of them I'm currently over seas in Afghanistan and can't check my stuff all the time. But I did do some research and I really want to put an if in to my 510 but I think it'll just have to remain a dream got kids and bills to pay but if any ones interested the guy still has it for sale 600.00