1976 620 airbags

SteezySkreez

Just picked up my Datsun 620, the guy didnt even know what he had picked it up for 2 grand and have big plans for it. Converting the brakes next week ant then eventually airbags and then an SR20 into it. Wondering which one should come first the air bags or the motor. Also it is original paint but have been thinking about painting it? Wanted to know what you fellas think.4C9FB400-F8E4-4DA8-B43F-2C26E7C69436_zps35327806-EF42-4FB2-A11D-8C93B70BCA24_zps1B0488A7-5520-4B69-A3AA-5CAB760D534C_zpsf2566c0b-9024-462d-a147-8aea06b04120_zps6AB1FB5E-1715-41CE-B573-056301E9CBE6_zps/>

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea, the motor is older than the actual car, i think it is an L16. But i honestly have no idea. The wheel came with it when i bought it. I have little to no knowledge of these cars i know they look cool and are fun to drive. But each day im learning more. Also im going to buy a disk brake conversion kit. Is there any that you would specifically recomend?

Welcome! Your Truck was spotted in the "sightings" under the General tab not too long ago. I think somewhere near PCC or something?

My truck is that color and people on the streets really like it. I'd say drive it a while and see if it grows on you.

What makes you think it's an L16? 72.5-73 should be L16, '74 L18, then L20 after that, I think, I'll get a correction beat down if I'm wrong. The block should have a casting telling you what it is.

I'm very pleased with my L16 for the time being. I am planning KA swap down the road though.

Which brake conversion are you going with? Are you staying with those directional wheels? When you do e SR are you going DE or DET?

Welcome! Your Truck was spotted in the "sightings" under the General tab not too long ago. I think somewhere near PCC or something?

My truck is that color and people on the streets really like it. I'd say drive it a while and see if it grows on you.

What makes you think it's an L16? 72.5-73 should be L16, '74 L18, then L20 after that, I think, I'll get a correction beat down if I'm wrong. The block should have a casting telling you what it is.

I'm very pleased with my L16 for the time being. I am planning KA swap down the road though.

Which brake conversion are you going with? Are you staying with those directional wheels? When you do e SR are you going DE or DET?

I took it to a Datsun shop and the guy said it was older from a 73 or older and it was an L16. And brakes i'm not sure i've found a couple conversion kits online but i don't know which one is better than the others. And the idea was to put an SR20DET on it but i want the most power i can get out of it. So i think i'm going to have to do some more research. What makes you want to swap it with the KA?

KA is a fairly "easy" swap. redeye makes the motor mounts and e CanAm box makes wiring easy for KA or SR. Also the KA makes more torque when you compare NA versions to SR.

Edit: OH! And there are KA parts EVERYwhere, the NA torque specs and parts are my reasons for KA swap. I'm building a DD for SoCal use. I don't need turbo power just good mileage and reliability

Some threads to check out

Sweet and clean KA swap

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58600-benjammins-1973-620-ka24de-restomod-build-thread/

SR swap and more in progress

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56533-wallrockets-620-build/

Air bags..

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53934-74-and-then-some/

Aaaaaand your sighting(mid page), I've been waiting for mine and it never comes. Luckyyyyyy (my best Napoleon Dynamite impression)

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3867-sightings/page-408

KA is a fairly "easy" swap. redeye makes the motor mounts and e CanAm box makes wiring easy for KA or SR. Also the KA makes more torque when you compare NA versions to SR.

Some threads to check out

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58600-benjammins-1973-620-ka24de-restomod-build-thread/

thanks man, and yeah i go to school at PCC. Thats funny. One girl came up to me and gave me a stick and some stuff. Was there a picture of it on the sightings page or what?

if ur dead set on sr20 then do motor first. sucks to have to redo bag job to  get motor to fit. u really should have whatever motor, brakes and wheel/tires installed before bagging it, so u can get the stance ur after. i ve seen several bag jobs redone because they did plan for bigger wheels or custom irs  setup.

I agree with kelowg. Sort out your powerplant and get that done. Suspension seems to be part of the whole sr swap dealio. I thought about it at one point, but in reality I'm going to be more than happy with my LZ22 in the long run and I like the cleaner look and the sound of a built NA motor on some dual sidedraft carbies

just my .02

Ive got a 78, so it came with disks up front. Use the search function and you should find tons of info. some people do the D21 spindles and calipers and some other junk, some people do the 78+ swap. Its really up to what you find.

I'm wondering if D21 drop spindles would be useful for later airbag conversion. Seems like they'd leave more space for the bag when things got low? That could help narrow your brake choices. And wheel choice can affect your brake options as well.

Have a look in the brake section of the homepage. Most of the threads (involving 620s) seem to be about conversions.

Also look for users BeeBani and Mklotz (bluehandsinc) they have a lot to do with brake conversion.

I'm just starting to get my front suspension and brake conversion 'kit' complete enough that I can start thinking about putting it together.

On a side note, I'm starting to wonder about the year of your truck. I don't think I've seen that color on trucks newer than '74. And your Tach block off plate is the same as mine was before I added the tach. Just a "D" centered in the circle rather than a smaller D above a centerline in the circle. Maybe there was a '73 parts truck in your truck's past?

But then It has the later radiator with the top hose on the driver side and I think that grey box on the passenger inner fender is the little emission counter box thingy?

What is the weight writen on that silver/gold sticker on the center/top of your firewall? 2500lb or 2750lb?

I have to agree too... no need to get halfway through a project and then it just sit until you get the cash or time to finish it. Personally I would crank the T-bars up front, block the rear and drive it for a few months. Start deciding what you want to do first and then start a parts list, and a savings jar. when both are complete order parts and toss them on ;)

Whoa, what is up shifter :)

Welcome, I second or third the enjoying it first.

Not much, I'll always have the datsun love so I come in and lurk from time to time ;) there have been a few times (like 2-3) that I came on and answered a question or two and then slipped out but I mostly just come look at all the projects and then disappear :( I try to get on at least once a week though :D

• Like 1

Looks pretty decent as is.   Mine was pretty cool as it was when I bought it (I just didn't realize it.... kind of like you saying the po "didn't realize what he had").  I ran around in it for about a year before I started making changes.   Looking back, it had some issues but I went nuclear on it with the mods.

If anything, just for peace of mind and safety, convert to front disc brakes and go thru the rest of the system before anything else if that hasn't already been done.  Along with that, check the steering links for anything janky.

After those two major things,  the most important  is to come up with (WRITE DOWN!)  a list of goals for the truck and stick to them.  Please re-read that last sentence at least 10 times.

Believe me !

• Like 1