How would you clean an alternator?

Eagle_Adam

The alt I got with my KA is filthy to say the least.....

But it tested good and the swap I bought was running when I pulled it so I don't see the need to buy a new alt.

My question is what's the best way to clean the alt?

Seems like electrical cleaner would be fine but it also seems like it would just fill the internals of the alt with crap and ruin a good part :/

Sooooooo.......

Suggestions?

And just go buy one isn't up for discussion until I fuck up the one I have ;)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oil n junk on it? If so my old man always used break cleaner then some lithium grease. put a belt on his bench grinder and had it spinning while he did it. looking back I think he's nuts but always seemed to work for him

I appreciate the effort.... But I'm hoping for a little more of a controllable process ;)

Won't brake cleaner dissolve the coatings on the wires inside?

I figured it probably wasn't good on electrical components since there is a specific cleaner for electrical bits

And I have a can of it, but I'm hoping someone will chime in with either personal experience or a link I can read up on

After googling the topic id like to take the front and rear cover off in a manner that allows me to reassemble it after powdercoating or paint.

But I seem to have this idea stuck in my head about if you take an alt apart wrong you could fuck it up or make assembly a real PITA.

clean only the bottom side while holding it up so all contaminants fall away from the inner of the alternator 

use electric or brake cleaner it evaporates faster

That's about what I had in my head I do, but the issue now is that the interior of the alt is prob 1/2 as bad as the outside if

I'm Lucky and I'm not Putting a dirty alt on this....

C20132C5-7F70-4B0C-AE83-BAAA920CE7A9_zps

needs powder coat 

at worst you ruin a good alt taking it apart and you will have a nice case to put on the new one as long as you don't ruin the new one taking it apart 

BTW that green makes the black parts on the motor glow 

• Like 1

I would use mineral spirits, or paint thinner.  Be careful to not rinse ant grease out of the bearings.  If you take the alternator apart, put a mark on the bottom side so you can "clock" the front, the stator,  and the back parts in the same orientation they were.

some of the 1970 or so Datsun alternators had a removable brush holder.  If the brush holder is removed, on one of these alternators, there is pretty much nothing in the way of the parts of the alternator going back together.

on some alternators, you might have to disconnect some wires, or keep the stator with the back body.

I would use mineral spirits, or paint thinner.  Be careful to not rinse ant grease out of the bearings.  If you take the alternator apart, put a mark on the bottom side so you can "clock" the front, the stator,  and the back parts in the same orientation they were.

some of the 1970 or so Datsun alternators had a removable brush holder.  If the brush holder is removed, on one of these alternators, there is pretty much nothing in the way of the parts of the alternator going back together.

on some alternators, you might have to disconnect some wires, or keep the stator with the back body.

I'm workn with a stock KA24DE alt from a 91 240

I use Non Chlorine brake cleaner (Wearever Brand from Advance Auto). It doesn't eat the paint like other brake cleaners.  I've never had any issues with taking an Alternator apart.  The only thing that gets tricky sometimes, it putting it back together.  It differs from Alt. to Alt., but usually there is a simple trick to holding the brushes outward, while sliding the two halves back together...

Just unbolt it.  You should be fine.....  Famous last words, I know, but really, there is always a way to reassemble.

• Like 2

On second thought, I use cleaner when I'm going to be replacing the bearings anyways. Best bet is to leave well enough alone. But since that's probably not an option, I would not open it up. Instead, scrub it with a brass brush first, dry, then rub it with a cleaner soaked rag to control where the cleaner goes, until clean.... Safest bet.

Just buy new alt,u cant screw that up. New one well still look good on motor. Plus u know it well work when ur all done. Then miss with the old one if ur really wanting one painted and see what happens. Honesty, ur goin to put more time and money in it then its worth.

This page has downloadable PDF files of Nissan service manuals.

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech.htm

I have downloaded the L-16 , L-18 engine service manual, and near the back of the manual, there is a chapter on the engine electrical systems, and a section on alternator testing, dissassembly, and reassembly.

I would think that there is a engine service manual for a 91 KA-24-DE, and if you are working on that engine, you should have its service manual, and there is a engine electrical section in that manual.

• Like 1

By hand, use a wire brush to clean all the outside fins of oily dirt and spray brake cleaner that dries quickly, but not a petroleum solvent. The bearings are sealed. Brushes make it slightly difficult to put the back half on. I see no advantage to disassembly except to cause problems. This thing is designed to run for years and 100s of k miles in dirt and water spray and the inevitable oil. I've dunked them under water driving and the output drops off for maybe 10 seconds until the brushed make contact. (might have been a wet belt slipping?) The S13 alt that is on my 710 sedan I cleaned with a pressure sprayer with it mounted on the engine.

• Like 2

I'd take it apart to clean in the solvent tank as well.  Scribe the parts for alignment later, as mentioned above, press out the bearings and check them for roughness or slop.  For the brushes, there is a series of holes that allow them to be held back in the recesses by a small allen wrench or piece of wire while reassembling.  When it's all back together, pull the wire out and the brushes snap down onto the commutators and it's good to go.

• Like 2

Just buy new alt,u cant screw that up. New one well still look good on motor. Plus u know it well work when ur all done. Then miss with the old one if ur really wanting one painted and see what happens. Honesty, ur goin to put more time and money in it then its worth.

And just go buy one isn't up for discussion until I fuck up the one I have ;)

Hmmmmm, I'm wanting to take it apart now.

Not for powder-coating but paint, for no reason other than I can :)

I'm gunna read thru that PDF that was posted and see what my FSM says about the topic as well

For now. Merry Christmas to all!

If you're anything like me........and I have a feeling you are......

Just take the damn thing apart and clean it........it's the only way you and I will be absolutely satisfied....

....and like KM said.......hardest part will be those damn brushes.......

• Like 1