620 rac and pinion

polmec

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could fab something just need something that is correct length and one that would be correct steering angles.

Did you search? If you did, and didn't find anything here-you may have just become a pioneer. 

Look for narrow cars with an R/P mounted in front of the crossmember. Go from there. 

Why the interest of putting a rack and pinion on a truck?

• Like 1

I have a v6 and the box and steering shaft is in the way of the headers and I would like to lose some more weight.

Maybe you should have left the Vortec in the Blazer you got it from?

Yello620 had a 620 with a VG30 in it and he did nothing to the steering. 

All pioneered. 

Maybe source some block hugging headers?

It has been a while, but, iirc the fiat X19 was the closest I could find to even being close. It would still need to be shortened a little to be a perfect fit though.

Be sure to really study steering geometry to get the correct lenghts AFTER you find your mounting point. Good luck.

Is there any rac and pinion steering that would fit a1976 620,if so from what and what year? Would there be any bump steer?

There is a Fiat manual rack that is close, that's ii. Everything else is too wide or rear steer.

Yes there will be bump steer. 

It has been a while, but, iirc the fiat X19 was the closest I could find to even being close. It would still need to be shortened a little to be a perfect fit though.

There is a Fiat manual rack that is close, that's ii. Everything else is too wide or rear steer.

Yes there will be bump steer. 

What Yello said.

Did you search? If you did, and didn't find anything here-you may have just become a pioneer. 

Look for narrow cars with an R/P mounted in front of the crossmember. Go from there. 

Why the interest of putting a rack and pinion on a truck?

Well in my case so I can remove the steering box and make room for the KA A/C compressor.

Bump steer is a function of how high or low you mount the rack compared to the stock location. What others haven't realized or mentioned is that the truck is steered from the front of the axle and most cars are from behind. A rear mount R&P would turn the wheels opposite what you want. You would have to design rear mounted steering knuckles to use most R&P... and good luck doing that with the torsion bars in the way.

Well from my limited exp with steering geometry and rack n pinion. I dont think the geometry is that tough. I would think that if the pivot point for the rack, and the lower control arm were in the same place you shouldn't have any bump steer cause their traveling on the same arc. Or another option would be to use a center pivot type rack with really long tie rods. Either way I doubt theirs a rack that will work perfect. And really in my opinion, if your trying to put a rack on stock truck suspension geometry your an idiot.

• Like 1

1)Well from my limited exp with steering geometry and rack n pinion. 2)if your trying to put a rack on stock truck suspension geometry your an idiot.

1)Pay attention to this

2)See #1(both of them)

A rack is the ONLY way to put A/C into a 620 with a KA motor in it.

Hey not sure if it helps but the Ha vauxhall viva/envoy epic rack is front mount and had a spare sitting to compare widths not too far off! Dont know what you'd do with the steering column though,That'd be up to you to work out :P  The viva steering shaft fits between the front cross member and sump on the stock engine. DSC_0875.jpg