Nissan IDx (new 510?)

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another problem with the IDx:  WHY ARE THE HEADLIGHTS SO FREAKING HIGH?????  Seriously, they might as well be mounted on the roof considering the massive space beneath.  Can I get a roof rack for the box van with some extra bright Hellas?

And yes, Mike, all cars nowadays do look like electric shavers, but they don't have to.  Nissan needs to pull their head out of their French frog ass and build something unique again.  Something that will truly give the BRZ/FRS (Fuck Toyota) a run for it's money.  Lowering the fucking hood is the first way to achieve that!!

Why stop with something that will be a BRZ/FRS killer? If the original intent of the 510 was to create something that could compete with the BMW 2002, Nissan should go after the modern 2 series. But yeah, the cost would probably be prohibitive and put it out of reach for the average consumer.

I am going 150,000% ape shit because I really want to see Nissan one up someone, especially anything Toyota.  Here's Nissan's record so far, keep in mind I'm a staunch defender:

Nissan is the first to offer 4wd in the 720s.  What does Toyota do?  They leave a solid-axle in until 1985 and then go IFS.

The 720s have a problem with 2nd gear jamming and this pushes more towards Toyota.

Nissan responds with a better 4wd system in '86 and the introduction of the D21 hardbody.  Toyota sticks with the crapass 22R and RE and still outsells Nissan.  Dipshit rednecks brag about how awesome their 300,000 mile pos Toyota is, despite the fact that it makes 85 hp out of a 2.4.  However, they also don't break much considering so little power.

Nissan revamps the hardbody in '90 with the KA24E, a motor that had great promise, yet is plagued by a shitty hydraulic lifter design, timing chain tensioner rattles, and for a few years, blocked oil galley passages which cause KAs to go tits up in no short order.  Toyota keeps selling that stupid shit 22RE and remains supreme in the Japanese compact truck wars despite the popularity of the D21.

Fast forward to 2004, and the new Nissan Titan.  Finally a V8 offering from Nissan!  Toyota has the wussy T100 in a "sort-of" fullsize that really wasn't.  They also have the Tundra.  Early versions had the small V6s, and they finally came out with a 4.7 V8.  For a while, the Titan was still supreme with the 5.6 liter V8 making 305 hp.

Toyota brings the big guns with the 5.7 (350) and 381 hp.

Nissan quails and doesn't play the horsepower game.  Consequently, sales of the Titan drop.  Gas mileage is already poor, why not play with the big boys and provide some real hp?

Nissan also doesn't offer a V6 fullsize option, or a standard cab option.  Toyota does.

Toyota offers a TRD supercharger package with factory warranty if dealer installed.

Nissan responds by doing absolutely nothing and staying with no power, no mileage, and aside from purists, just another V8 truck on the decline.

And after the D22 Frontier, Nissan drops compact pickups and focuses on mid-size.  Fuck that.  I don't want a mid-size.  I like my compact truck.  No worries, everyone else dropped their offerings too.  The new Tacoma is still not even close to what I'd call compact, though they bill it as that.

Let's compare the last 20 years with the first 20.

The Datsun pick up comes to America and gains steam in the 60s.  Cars soon follow including the roadster, 510, and Z car, which gain immediate popularity for being technologically ahead of their time and made famous by numerous BRE SCCA Trans-Am wins.  The 521 does well, the 620 does immeasurably well, and at this point Toyota isn't anywhere with sales.  There are a few Toyota Stouts, but the market is vastly outnumbered by Datsuns.  In fact, the 620 is the second longest line of unchanged Nissan pickups, after the hardbody.  Even the 720 does pretty well, despite some transmission glitches and a Z24 motor that likes to blow head gaskets if the bolts aren't re-torqued every year.

So you see why I'm really, really hoping Nissan figures it out?  I'd like a return of about 1965-1980 as far as innovative, good looking vehicle offerings go.  Otherwise if vehicles all start to look like electric shavers and Nissan continues to ignore it's very loyal following of Datsun owners, I'm just going to buy domestic.  It's cheaper, it's easier to get things I want, like limited slip options, and there is a butt load of aftermarket support.  Sure every one else will have one, but with what choice am I left?

I need an offering from Nissan that makes me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_gGWsqd8Ec

• Like 1

Or perhaps you Nissan designers should crank the shit out of this while you're thinking of ideas!  Remember, there was a time when music didn't suck and cars meant something.  Bring it back!!!

3D Printed Body Panels.

I read somewhere round the MotorSport blog that yes we are seeing exposed hard attach body points and that part of the NISMO concept is to allow one to easily design and 3D print new body panels.  Just the engineering to support that would make this a very fun car to customize.

Just tossing that out for more discussion.

-- l8s

-- jrawk

You know, when reading about the diminutive power plans proposed for the IDx I thought maybe they're trying to create an all new youth sub-market somewhere between the sport compact and the fuel efficient econbox cube markets. But is that really a market need right now, or a big enough market for this platform? it's easy to forget the 45 year time gap between these two cars. By todays standards the L16s design looks purely economy driven, but in reality it was the SR20 of it's time.Although the 510 wasn't a muscle car, it's power to weight ratios gave it respectable performance. When you consider a comparable 60s American economy car like the Dodge Dart, it weighed in at 3,300 lbs, and had a 170 ci (2.8L) slant 6 engine that was putting out 101 bhp through a 3 speed push button auto trans. The light little 2,100 lbs 510 with 97 bhp through a 4 speed manual would literally run circles around the Dart under any conditions. When the 510 came to North America it set a totally new standard by introducing the "economy" light compact sports sedan. With the 510 Nissan filled a huge void in the market, on multiple levels; great fuel economy, light nimble handling, lots of technology with solid reliability and that's what gave it broad appeal and market success.

Today Nissan is late in returning to the entry level sport compact party they started back in the 60s. If they want to hit the dance floor again they are going to have to dance to the standards of todays market, but with a 1.5L CVT power train the IDx won't even make it to the floor. If Nissan builds it on the Juke chassis though, they might as well skip the party all together, smoke another bowl, and watch some more Gilligan's Island reruns.

The stock 2013 WRZ sti puts out 305 bhp @ 3,208 lbs. BRZ, 200 bhp @ 2,762 lbs (34mpg highway). IDx 150 bhp @ 3000 + LBS... Turn out the lights, the party's over Nissan.

• Like 3

didn't I post in this thread ... .oh no it was one of the other ones.... can people look before they just start a thread .......jesus this thing is a shit box ...... it looks like my daughter doll house got fucked by a toaster.....its a pile ... 510 are clean and subtl that thing is pure epic fail ..... look at the designers hair .... u sgouldexpect him to design some version of a abortion

oh yeah it got locked...........like this thread should be ... don't give that shit box any credence ....its shit house....... its embarrassing we are talking about it let alone getting excited..ok that's a overreaction but seriously ......its a turd now lets move on ...we have 7 "did u hear about the Datsun name revival" threads...just sayin

no homo

KIRDEN.....

stop interrupting my banter with my inner self

imposting this thread is on lock countdown ..... I texted lew too ...he said he would fire up a apple 2c and post someshit about the classys in here to

damn it bumped pages ..... go back its worth it ... I about popped a vessel

all of ratsun insomniacs .... spamers are invading the status updates .. no ones posting.... this place is snoozing for this beautiful day.....hey mike only my friends can call me j cock ......does this mean u consider us frineds?

wait till u see my blue lake and canby 2014 screen name t shirt I made for myself with Andrews help

• Like 1

I am going 150,000% ape shit because I really want to see Nissan one up someone, especially anything Toyota. Here's Nissan's record so far, keep in mind I'm a staunch defender:

Nissan is the first to offer 4wd in the 720s. What does Toyota do? They leave a solid-axle in until 1985 and then go IFS.

The 720s have a problem with 2nd gear jamming and this pushes more towards Toyota.

Nissan responds with a better 4wd system in '86 and the introduction of the D21 hardbody. Toyota sticks with the crapass 22R and RE and still outsells Nissan. Dipshit rednecks brag about how awesome their 300,000 mile pos Toyota is, despite the fact that it makes 85 hp out of a 2.4. However, they also don't break much considering so little power.

Nissan revamps the hardbody in '90 with the KA24E, a motor that had great promise, yet is plagued by a shitty hydraulic lifter design, timing chain tensioner rattles, and for a few years, blocked oil galley passages which cause KAs to go tits up in no short order. Toyota keeps selling that stupid shit 22RE and remains supreme in the Japanese compact truck wars despite the popularity of the D21.

Toyota reliability FTW!! I love old Toyota. :)

If you're buying tooling to recreate obsolete, 40-year-old cars, it probably wouldn't cost that much, actually..

Actually, I wouldn't make something the same as a 510.  It would be similar in philosophy but definitely modern.  However, I would find a way to put chrome bumpers on it and get away with it.  5 mph impact bumpers are such bullshit.

Oh, and for Nissan Designer D, here's a thought regarding taking on the BRZ/FRS.  Do you know which car took first place in Street Mod in SCCA racing this past year?  I'll give you a hint.  It wasn't Godzilla.  It was a car designed in 1989, the 240sx.  Weight will always win.  As in, lack of weight.  The GTR is neat, but it's still too damn heavy.

• Like 1