Project Unicorn - restoring 1965 Cedric

merlin

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

about half of the body has been stripped to bare metal. I keep forgetting to take pictures...

I towed it to Ross at Sportsimports.ca for a mechanical rebuild and help with the rust patches. should be there at least a month.

Ross has the most amazing collection of NOS nissan parts... 520 fenders, roadster and 520 windshields in stock... he needs to do more internet business...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so i haven't updated this in a bit, but the car and its parts are being worked on...

Ross and Dave at Sportsimports.ca have the car and have been custom fabbing a whole bunch rust repair patches... I've been cleaning and bead blasting stuff for plating and sourcing parts...

today i sandblasted the backs of the bumpers and ground out a couple of sections that need patches welded in.  I also started day 3 of gas tank cleaning... the good news, it ain't rusted through... the bad news... it has more tar  and gum in it than a bingo hall full of chain smoking, nicorette chewing grannies. I am going to see what i can do with the pressure washer tomorrow, but i might have to send it off somewhere to be  professionally cleaned.. dunno where, but...

soaked it in varsol for 12 hours, then risned it out with about 200 gallons of hot water... letting it dry now and going to pour the varsol(i strained it and saved it) and some acetone in and leave it for a while.

• 1 month later...

sorry all  i maxed out my photobucket acct and am too lazy to fix it...

The car has now had 100 hours of metal repair... new sills and rockers, a and C pillar repairs, minor floor patches, etc...  I am currently stripping down the engine bay.. I pulled the engine last night...

Today's plan is to strip the wiring harness and the rest of the driveline and exhaust...  then a real deep clean, glass blast, etch and seal... then back to Surrey for bondo and Paint in 2-3 weeks

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...