Project Unicorn - restoring 1965 Cedric

merlin

So here is my not so mean big green machine...

photo_zps1f0727af.jpg

more pics in this thread...

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4969&start=0&view=print

It's a 1965 Nissan Cedric LG31 deluxe. L is lefthand drive, G is short wheel base, 31 is the Second generation of the Cedric... the first generation had vertical headlights.   It has a 1.9 liter H20 engine which is essentially a stroked out R16.

I bought this car from Ross at Sportsimports.ca a few years back.  the car had no reg, a lexan front windshield(not legal here) and enough small issues that the PO had given it to Ross.  Ross knew i wanted it, he had no room for it, and he knew if anyone could source the parts for it, i would... eventually.

After not thinking i would ever find such a rare thing, I scored a new front windshield through Eiichi Shimizu, a PR exec from Nismo who also owns a H31 Cedric(long wheelbase).

Getting a little hope, I tracked down the original owner through his local sports scores published in an online newspaper... I called about 25 numbers before i found the right guy.  He gladly signed it over to me once I explained that I would restore it.  That was 4 years ago...

The really bad unfixable parts of the car were the front and rear fenders... the Cedric  has bolt on rear quarters...

About 6 months ago I scored NOS rear quarters on Yahoo Japan , plus lots of odds and sods... 2 weeks ago I picked up a set of rough but restorable front fenders. So now the resto is ON!!!

I will do the  dissassembly, cleaning,  body and paint with the help of a very professional assistant- who is a hot chick...

Ross from Sports Imports will do the brakes and engine.   

• Like 2
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems we talked about brakes for this car several years ago.  I'm glad to see that it's getting worked on :)

we did... fortunately they are the same as 320 ... almost... we can rebuild them as stock... the forklifts use an almost stock brake and clutch MC that is a bolt in  and looks just like the stock ones... only difference is  the outlet position(on back instead of the front) and it has a plastic cap... the old metal cap fits so i just need to replate a pair of those.  I want to keep this as stock as possible, but  if that proves impossible, we will be going mklotz disc conversion.

• Like 1

Wow I'm glad someone got there hands on one of these with such small to unknown numbers I wish I could find one and looking at the pics doesn't look so bad for its age I've read these do pretty well for a big datsun on not getting bad rust I hope to see it person one day!

Scrubbed, scraped, washed, did trim and dash tear down today... 

started doing a list of rust repairs... it's a long list... 2 good weeks of fabbing and welding ahead  :poop:  :ninja:

I'm taking it to Vancouver to have Ross pull and go through the drivetrain, i'll bring the shell  back and start hitting it hard.

• Like 1