I just picked up a '79 510 hatchback yesterday. I guess I'm supposed to post in here since it's a 510 in name only. (At least when I had my PL510, they were kind of looked down upon).

What do I call this thing? HL510? A10? I need to find some window glass for it, but I don't know what to search by. Finding parts for this down south is going to be a challenge.

f8e13f81.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you could go calling it a Stanza, like the Austrailian market. God Bless cross-over models!

Nice score, a modern looking Datsun, L-Series motor reliability, and room for upgrades. I like it.

Welcome to Ratsun!

Datsuns are generally referred to by the first letters and numbers of the VIN tag. Sweet score. What are your plans for it?

This one is weird since it's HLA10. I'm used to just two letters.

Not much in the way of plans. I just want to paint it, lower it and put some mesh wheels on it. Later on I will go through the engine. My old 510 had some headwork and a cam and it was a lot of fun. But the first thing I have to do is replace the broken windows.

This one is weird since it's HLA10. I'm used to just two letters.

Maybe not so weird as it was part of the A10 family of cars. They called it the 510 in the US to bank on the familiarity of the 510 moniker. I found this:

Second generation 510's were built by Nissan Motors, Inc in both Tokyo and Yokohama Japan, and were available only in North America. The 510 was part of the Datsun A10 series which also included the 140J, 160J, and 160J Violet.

The J series cars had the same body as the 510, but had small differences. The grille had completely round headlight frames, the bumpers were lighter and non-shock absorbent, and the car was available in a Righthand-drive configuration. The 160J was powered by the L16 engine (the same engine that powered the 1st generation 510) and the 140J was powered by the OHV 1.4 litre A14 engine used in the B210.

The Datsun A10 series was discontinued at the end of the 1981 model year, and was replaced by the Nissan/Datsun Stanza.

Anyone know how similar the A10 is to the B310? I found a 79 210 hatchback in the junkyard today, and it had a really nice interior.

Obviously the body stamping is different, but I was wondering if the floorpans are stamped the same. (The cars look awfully similar) Some idiot that owned this car before me stripped most of the interior. I'd hate to yank all the seats and carpet out of the 210 if they don't fit my car. I would have done it today, but I was there in my Jeep and was unable to make a comparison.

Front seats may work ok, back ones not sure, the 210 may not be as wide. Take a tape measure with you next time and compare to your 510's dimensions. At least your Datsun isnt as ugly as mine. Im not far from you up here in Grant, about an hour and a half from Birmingham. About the only old Datsuns I see are the 620 trucks.

74 710 wagon.

Cyrrently under construction or for sale if anyone wants the thing.

710wagon001.jpg

710wagon003.jpg

710wagon013.jpg

• 1 month later...
awww man i just scraped my 78 hl to bad you didnot post a couple week's a go .

Shit.

I think I'm going to use it for the GRM $2009 Challenge, so I'll probably wind up making some Lexan windows somehow. I think it'll be a pain in the ass without door pillars.

I'm glad to see that BRE paint job, I was going to do that to mine in black and silver.

Second generation 510's were built by Nissan Motors, Inc in both Tokyo and Yokohama Japan, and were available only in North America....

The Datsun A10 series was discontinued at the end of the 1981 model year, and was replaced by the Nissan/Datsun Stanza.

That's basically crap. It was sold all over the world, and sold as a Stanza... :confused:

Some of the '79s in Europe also only had 2 headlights. Those are wild...

The quote about being only sold in North America was the "510" badge. Also applied to the NA-spec '78-79 grille, which was different than the Violet (Violet grilles had rounder headlight surrounds).

That KHA10 Stanza (orange) is one of the rarest Datsuns in existence- the result of a paperwork mistake in Australia. Australia was only supposed to get 4-door Sedan Stanzas (A10 Stanzas were assembled in AU from Japanese-manufactured parts) but somehow 120 3-door hatchbacks ended up there. I've heard 2 stories- one was that the 3-door HBs were destined for South Africa (who also assembled them in-country) but the containers got offloaded in AU, and story 2 was someone ordered the wrong CKD kits and ended up with 120 KHA10s. In either case, they ended up there, and are pretty rare.

• 9 months later...

I'm making a little progress.

before

f8e13f81.jpg

after

100_0201.jpg

I want to paint it. I'm going to do the rising sun hood, since no one in the southeast seems to do it. I don't know what color to do the car that won't look like shit with the hood. White? Yellow? Orange? I could put it back in satin black (I can actually do a good job, unlike the dude I got it from.)