1972 Datsun 521 Project "Jorge"

Hey Ratsuns!

Figured i post up my new project.  I lurk here quite a bit but do not chime in a lot.   Picked up this 521 on a lunch break  from a guy selling it on a street corner.  It has the oringal paint but has a little rust in the usual spots.  I desided to call it "Jorge" because of toy licesne plate sombody rivited to the tail gate.  seems fitting.  I will update as I move along on this.

Project plan for now is to leave the Petina and make the truck mechanically sound.  So far i have rebuilt the engine and transmission myself.  Motor is an L20B with the U67 head and stock cam.  going for driver here not a race motor.  Only mods i did was port match the intake and exhaust (stock exhaust manifold) and add a Nismo oil spray bar i had laying around.  Motor was built with NOS nissan pistions and is .020 over.

right now motor is back in and i am starting in on interior/wiring phase.  Stock wiring is just old and brittle so i am going for a compleate rewire. 

here are some pics, enjoy! 

IMG_0971.jpg

name of truck right in the middle of tail gate thanks to one of the previous owners...

IMG_0806.jpg

This is not a fire!   this truck had so many black widows in it I put 6 Raid bug bombs in/under it so i could go near it without dying from spider bites.

IMG_0901-1.jpg

fresh motors are always nice.  I wish i would have taken more pics of tear down and rebuilt but finish project is nice.  GM 140 amp alt.

IMG_0931.jpg

Dads Helper.   Nice thing about project trucks is they come with built in parts storage!

IMG_0970.jpg

Interior gutted.  pulled out the windshield and i can say was very, very carful as i don't think i can find another one.

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to need to do somthing with the dash.

IMG_0936.jpg

How Jorge is sitting today.  I am going to raise the front end a little bit but lower the back about an inch or so. Some vintage centerlines came with the vechicle and i had some tires sitting around I threw on as one that came with it did not hold air for long.

IMG_0969.jpg

I pulled the fuel tank and started to take the send out.  BIG PROBLEMS...  The tank is compleatly full of rust and the sender was literally discentigrated and the part of the tank that holds the sender is gone.  So i have to do somthing for a fuel tank.

Options.  Find a good 521 tank or put some kind of aftermarket tank in bed?  what have others done?

open to options.here are the pics

.IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

The tank looks like that because it is metal, and that crap you call gas down there is eating your tank away.

That fuel down there attracts water, so if it sits in the tank for even 4 months, it separates, and rusts everything. 

Just find another 521 tank, and use a tank sealer/liner on it, don't get cheap, buy the best sealer/liner you can buy, as you only want to do it once.

The 510 is my rally car that I last raced in 2009. I need to get motivated to get the KA swap done and race it again. After the 521 is running and driving that is. Also Sti in background is another future rally car. So many projects so little money and time!

Well not much done over the weekend as i ended up with some kind of bug friday night that cleared itself up just in time to go back to work monday.

Wiring came in.  I am using Ron Francis wiring with GM headlight switch and a new ignition switch.  I have used this kit in the past on several cars and it is pretty straight forward.  looks so simple in the box unttil you start unwinding it!    1st step will be to mount the fuse box then start running wire and making looms.  Then it is just a matter of tackling one cirucit at a time.

IMG_0976.jpg

• Like 1

So when i changed out the clutch and brake masters the pedal pins where they connect were very worn.  Most worn was the clutch master link pin.  So without going through a bunch of steps I actually had some made.  Pin on the left is the orignal, Pin on right is obviously new.  Question are the 510 ones the same as the 521's?  seem close to me but i don't have stock pedals/masters in my 510. 

IMG_0983.jpg