Back up camera stupidity: NHTSA, look here.

HRH

I hear you. But it's only sensible to take advantage of all the safety available now. I certainly don't want to go back to single master cylinder for brakes, no seat belts, one rear view mirror and hard metal dash and knobs like my first car, a '64 Dodge.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this car new.  About a year ago I was driving to the mechanic for an oil change.  I was running late, focused more on the parking spot than scanning the oncoming traffic, and turn into the path of an oncoming Toyota.  The other driver was not hurt, I had minor burns and abrasions on my arm from the air bag deployment.  A few minutes after the crash, I stood on the side of the road and my first thought was:  those guys at Honda saved my life. 

I was driving 30, oncoming car was 30-25, which made this a freeway speed kinetic event, right?  So, based on my experience, I disagree that safety features only protect the stupid.  Unless of course your premise is that I'm stupid, in which case my response is....take a number, there's a long line ahead of  you of folks cueing up to deliver the same message.

0911121644.jpg

You know yourself very well, good job.

When DO you graduate High school?

When

I bought this car new.  About a year ago I was driving to the mechanic for an oil change.  I was running late, focused more on the parking spot than scanning the oncoming traffic, and turn into the path of an oncoming Toyota.  The other driver was not hurt, I had minor burns and abrasions on my arm from the air bag deployment.  A few minutes after the crash, I stood on the side of the road and my first thought was:  those guys at Honda saved my life. 

I was driving 30, oncoming car was 30-25, which made this a freeway speed kinetic event, right?  So, based on my experience, I disagree that safety features only protect the stupid.  Unless of course your premise is that I'm stupid, in which case my response is....take a number, there's a long line ahead of  you of folks cueing up to deliver the same message.

0911121644.jpg

It's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to NOT drive with your head up your ass.Your first thought SHOULD have been HOLY SH!T I F*CKED UP! The first line of defense in driving is skill. Second is situation awareness. A distant third is equipment.

• Like 1

So the lesson you learned was "buy a safe car"? And not, oh maybe, I could have been killed or killed someone with my lack luster driving skills? I'm glad you're ok but this is a fine example of my point that people need to be better drivers and then we won't need all the weight cost and complication of that extra safety gak.

i agree with HRH that they are a good idea.   i think the point is that it should be an option and not a requirement.  although i tihnk i might be a little more accepting of the idea of a mandate because i live in texas where driving a small car is like playing bumpercars with a bunch of semi's.  i dont even think a lot of people here driving large trucks or SUVs EVER turn there heads when moving.  ultimately the best way to get people to pay attention to driving would be to ban automatic transmissions IMO, but thats not going to happen.

So the lesson you learned was "buy a safe car"? And not, oh maybe, I could have been killed or killed someone with my lack luster driving skills? I'm glad you're ok but this is a fine example of my point that people need to be better drivers and then we won't need all the weight cost and complication of that extra safety gak.

Precisely.

What kind of ratsun member takes his car to the mechanic for an oil change? That's the real question :P

Well for now living in a condo, it's just easier to have the oil changed at the mechanics place.  Rest assured, when I retire next year and move into the house, garage, all my tools...I'll still pay somebody else to change the oil.  :fu:

When DO you graduate High school?

When

It's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to NOT drive with your head up your ass.Your first thought SHOULD have been HOLY SH!T I F*CKED UP! The first line of defense in driving is skill. Second is situation awareness. A distant third is equipment.

The presumption is that all motor vehicle accidents are due to the actions of one or the other driver.  Probably most of them are, but some are caused by weather, mechanical malfunction, pedestrians, animals on the road, blah blah blah. 

Anybody got a list of safety gak we can do without?

Air bags, seat belts, horn?  Windshield glass?  Honestly aside from seat belts, I don't see that the safety features, like frame design, make today's cars worse than the cars you drove in high school.  Today's cars are definitely uglier.

Anybody got a list of safety gak we can do without?

Air bags, seat belts, horn?  Windshield glass?  Honestly aside from seat belts, I don't see that the safety features, like frame design, make today's cars worse than the cars you drove in high school.  Today's cars are definitely uglier.

Back up camera isn't or shouldn't be called a safety device. It's a convenience for lazy drivers.

"Going 100 MPH won't kill you. It's the sudden stop that does it." Yup it's the extreme G force that kills you so if you can spread the sudden stop over a longer time and distance, your chances of surviving an accident are improved. Padded dash, seat and shoulder restraints, air bags and crumple zones (ideally in both vehicles if two vehicles are involved) reduce this sudden stop.

Old cars were basically battering rams and it wasn't uncommon to find one car's engine in the back seat of the car it hit.

That Honda's airbags didn't save you, the crumple zones did.  Look at the cabin area.  Not deformed at all.  I still don't like airbags.  At 60 mph and above, yes, they will help.  Still, do I want them in my car?  Nope.  

That Honda's airbags didn't save you, the crumple zones did.  Look at the cabin area.  Not deformed at all.  I still don't like airbags.  At 60 mph and above, yes, they will help.  Still, do I want them in my car?  Nope.  

I'd say the same thing looking at the photo.  If the impact (yes the one that was caused by ME) had occured a few moments later it would have hit the side, which means the side airbags might have been the factor.

I just think it's more realistic to equip cars with safety gear, even the crap you don't want, than the idea of getting the rest of America to drive safely. 

Guest 510kamikazifreak

˙ɹǝɥʇouɐ ɹo ʎɐʍ ǝuo'dn ʞɔnɟ oʇ ǝbɐuɐɯ ןןıʇs ןןıʍ sɹǝʌıɹp ʇoıpı ǝɥʇ 'ǝןɔıɥǝʌ ɐ ǝʞɐɯ noʎ ǝɟɐs ʍoɥ ɹǝʇʇɐɯ ʇusǝop ʇı

I feel like I have better visibility in my 97 land cruiser vs my dads brand new prius. But no doubt in an accident his car is a little bit safer, but i wouldnt say by much.

I feel like I have better visibility in my 97 land cruiser vs my dads brand new prius. But no doubt in an accident his car is a little bit safer, but i wouldnt say by much.

better visibility vs 50 mpg...hmmm

• 3 weeks later...

my friends mother drives a prius and I hate the prius but even with a backup camera she never looked at the screen or mirror or over her shoulder she just put the car in reverse and backed up into his car 

saftey devices dont make stupid people smarter or better drivers but it is supposed to help IF YOU LOOK AT THE SCREEN