Defeating CA SMOG, do's, don'ts, ways and means

It's an open discussion of the current state of CA's SMOG laws and how to navigate them.

1. I understand how your username came to be.

2. I've done my best to comment on CA smog, to help other Ratsuner's out...

* if it's 1976 or newer, it needs to have smog checks - period - what is checked varies county to county.

* if it's 1976 or newer it can have an engine swap, to be done legally you need to work with a smog ref (get that sticker).

* If it's 1975 or older it doesn't have to have smog checks (that's not the same as not needing smog)

3. The first "smog requirements" were the addition of PCV on all new cars sold in California in 1961.

* there is nothing requiring any type of pollution control on vehicles built before 1961 - still PCV is a smart upgrade

* my 1926 Ford is 100% stock, it has no smog control on it at all - never had, never will - completely legal in Calif!

4. You aren't going to change California law by complaining on a forum :rofl:

• Like 3
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also some less populated areas dont have to smog either

^This^  The best way "around" the smog mumbo jumbo for any year vehicle in CA, is to find out what specific zip codes in a handful of counties do not require smog inspection other than in a title transfer situation.  Then just move there.  Buy your dream car and mod away after the title transfer smog. :)

* If it's 1975 or older it doesn't have to have smog checks (that's not the same as not needing smog)

this is true BUT look at the emmisions controls on anything before 75 has next to no smog control a cop pulling you over isnt going to know if you need a smog pump thats missing or an egr valve that i cant see anyway 

The best way "around" the smog mumbo jumbo for any year vehicle in CA, is to find out what specific zip codes in a handful of counties do not require smog inspection other than in a title transfer situation.

You are pitching out-dated information.  I suggest anyone who tries this will regret it in the long run!

a cop pulling you over isnt going to know if you need a smog pump thats missing or an egr valve that i cant see anyway 

Unless the cop is an older car guy (I think there are plenty of them around), you might get away with some stuff ... it's still a risk breaking the law, but to each his own.

IMHO I really think in California it has come down to - keep it all stock, especially if it's 1976 or newer - or go wild with a motor swap (getting the BAR sticker).

Anything in between is going to be a headache ... sure you might get away with it at first, but they're going to catch up with you ... or you will sell it out of state.

^This^  The best way "around" the smog mumbo jumbo for any year vehicle in CA, is to find out what specific zip codes in a handful of counties do not require smog inspection other than in a title transfer situation.  Then just move there.  Buy your dream car and mod away after the title transfer smog. :)

Actually that is true, and if you ever have to sell the car you must do so out of state.  However, do you really want to live above 6000' in the boonies where the closest full time jobs are hours away?  Of course not.  Some people have tried to get post office boxes in such towns, but it is impossible on three fronts: the postmaster knows every resident by name and face, you must empty your box before it fills including junkmail (and therefore show up at the post office often), and the postmasters specifically are watching for such abuses.  I moved to a town nearly (but not quite) that far out, and I was "general delivery" for several months and the postmaster wasn't even going to give me any mail service until he was sure that I actually did live there.  Now if you should happen to have relatives who retired on some mountaintop somewhere... you might get away with it, living with them, and merely "visiting" your actual home, with your address officially that mountaintop, including voting, and whatever.  Is it worth all that?  Of course not, but since this was since debunked, I thought I'd clarify.  Also, as populations grow, smog stations can be supported further out, and those zipcodes become fewer and will eventually disappear.

It's funny... on HybridZ, I brought up a potential project of mine including an SR20DET and was bombarded with smog opinions which I didn't ask for.  I asked here on Ratsun about all the obscure cars 1970-1975 that actually made it to the USA, and smog was brought up again.  So I made this thread directly opening dialogue on smog for cars 1975 and older, and am getting contradictory opinions.  It's a great thread.  Maybe JagsThatRun will respond about their statement which may be out of date, but is corroborated by a DMV link by someone here, that any 1973 or older car cannot be inspected whatsoever.  Opinions vary so wildly, so it is sort of like watching a tennis match.  Any more boobies?

• Like 1

You are pitching out-dated information.  I suggest anyone who tries this will regret it in the long run!

Unless the cop is an older car guy (I think there are plenty of them around), you might get away with some stuff ... it's still a risk breaking the law, but to each his own.

From the CA DMV smog Information page:

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

Follow this link to determine which Zip Codes are included.

Not sure where to get more up-to-date info than the DMV...

even old cops dont care unless they have some reason to suspect that your not smog compliant (short of a moble test station they have no reason to) they arent gonna check your smog equipment and this is straight from my chp officer of an uncle 

So I made this thread directly opening dialogue on smog for cars 1975 and older, and am getting contradictory opinions.

If you want a straight, no BS answer ... ask a smog referee (seriously).

even old cops dont care unless they have some reason to suspect that your not smog compliant (short of a moble test station they have no reason to) they arent gonna check your smog equipment and this is straight from my chp officer of an uncle 

I am not here to argue, I am just sharing with peeps what I know. 

You know of an officer that doesn't care, and I don't doubt that one bit. 

I know a few cops that know what they're looking at, and do care ... but you doubt me, if you want to.

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

It's not saying folks in these counties don't need smog checks.

It is saying these counties require smog checks be done within a specific location.

It is saying these counties require smog checks be done within a specific location.

Sorry, but you are simply incorrect.  I lived about ten miles from the line!  The fact is that the car only needs smog inspections for transfer.  The reasons aren't specified, but from experience it causes undue hardship to travel all the way to a smog station from those places.  Also, there's less smog in those places from cars than old woodstoves and sometimes illegal burning of trash (seriously).

BTW: That map quoted looks old.  The 'on transfer of ownership only' areas have gotten smaller, and will continue to do so.  But for now, the high sierras (and elsewhere) don't require biennial inspection of any car at any age. 

(but what matters to me is the laws and enforcement for cars from 1968-1975)

Sorry, but you are simply incorrect.

So you think no smog checks are needed in these these six counties: El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

Do you realize those counties have areas/regions with some of the worst smog problems in the state?

Whatever ... you'll never be finished with this topic, I can tell you're just trying to stir up stuff. :sneaky:

So you think no smog checks are needed in these these six counties: El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

Do you realize those counties have areas/regions with some of the worst smog problems in the state?

Whatever ... you'll never be finished with this topic, I can tell you're just trying to stir up stuff. :sneaky:

No, you misquoted me, and I'm not trying to stir things up.  I live in El Dorado County, and have lived in different areas.  I did live in the edge of the El Dorado Forest (there's patches of forest and private land near the edge of the forest), and had I lived another 10 miles or so further east, I would have been in a "on transfer only" smog region.  So I speak from actual experience.  It depends entirely on your zipcode.  Though that map someone attached is not quote up to date, do you see all the gray sections?  They are 'on transfer only' meaning you only have to get a smog certificate if you are buying/selling a car.  After you own it, they will not bother you again until you get rid of it.  Think of it this way: gray = boonies!

Okay RanMan72,

But please give me some details on that 67 411 Wagon on Miata subframes.  If he seriously built that, I most certainly want to do the same.  I am in no way kidding.  That is exactly what I'd like to have. 

Bob3 built it in 60 days?  Are you pulling my leg?  I will definitely look that up later when I have some time.

Peace!

The smog laws for 1968-75 are fairly simple:

They are exempt from biannual testing, as well as transfer of ownership testing.

They CAN (and have been) BAR-reffed at any time.  The law (the Federal AND California laws) state that the factory smog equipment must be in place and connected.   BAR refs are only done if you get caught doing something stupid, or fail a roadside check or set off a roadside sniffer.  It's not common, but it can and does happen.

The best way "around" the smog mumbo jumbo for any year vehicle in CA, is to find out what specific zip codes in a handful of counties do not require smog inspection other than in a title transfer situation. 

To which I replied ...

Then this came back ...

To which I replied ...

When you came back with ...

Sorry, but you are simply incorrect.

I questioned if the two of you are even reading the printed words correctly ...

Now you are claiming I misquoted you - to which I put the tread into context for you above.

No, you misquoted me, and I'm not trying to stir things up.

Good luck with trying to figure out whatever it is you're trying to figure out. 

I still say asking a smog referee is best, not an online forum .. this thread is a good example of why I say that. :blush:

This is an open discussion on a topic that affects most people on this list, not "hey everybody, what should I build?"

Yet Ranman72 gave me the most helpful advice so far for my own build.  I am seriously exploring 1967 or older bodies (411 or 520) on a Miata chassis.  That may give me enough space to put an SR20DET in the car (with some modifications to Bob's plan).  That's a real option.  Truly smog exempt, handles great, and use any engine I want.  Any flaw in that?

The smog info is not real clear (just check through this thread for contradictions) but someone may give information acquired directly from the referee, and I wrote to the author of JagsThatRun, which may have an opinion to offer.

FlatCat, I'm going to go take the first part of your advice, and a couple minutes later the second.  Not sure how that will help with building a car, but I'll feel better.