Need noob advice on buying this 620

shven

Hey guys,

So I'm brand new with Datsuns, I've never owned one or even thought about owning one until two days ago I randomly decided to search up "datsun" on Craigslist and I fell in love with this beauty. It's a 1975 620 and I'm definitely considering buying it. However, I know next to nothing about these trucks so I found this site and figured I'd get some help from you guys. It would be my first car so I think it would be pretty cool. I'm a student so I'd mainly be driving it to and from school (about 20km round trip). What are these things like on gas? This one has a 5 speed which I've heard improves fuel economy. Just to confirm, I don't own this truck (yet) I took the photos from the craigslist ad for reference.

Anyways, here's the truck!

ScreenShot2013-09-07at64916PM_zpsa6600c2

ScreenShot2013-09-07at64935PM_zps38c72b3

ScreenShot2013-09-07at64954PM_zps46f3d89

The description in the ad is as follows:

1.6l motor
Webber 32/36 downdraft carb
5speed swapped from 1981 280zx
Front disc brake swap from 1991 nissan hard body pickup
New alternator and battery
New radiator
Great body, no rust
Bfg radial t/a's 205/60 r14 @ 85% tread
Lots of spare parts!
Great commuter

I contacted the guy and he says the truck has only 45,000 miles on it and has no mechanical issues or rust. Asking $3150 (Canadian). One thing I noticed is that he says it's a 1.6l engine yet it's a 75 so should it not have the 2.0l L20B engine?

So basically if you guys have any general advice on whether or not this is a good buy and if so, what kind of offer I should give the guy that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It should have an L20B with the U67 head. 

I don't think 5 speeds were available in 1975 for the 620. 

Take a magnet with you to look for rust. Rocker corners. Around the windscreen. Floors. Firewall/cowl area. 

Everyone says rust free. Hardly ever true with a Datsun. Especially in Canada. 

Magnet won't be attracted to bondo plastic but will stick to metal. Some bondo is ok if done properly as a thin skim coat, well sealed and painted.

Climb under and look at the back of the transmission for this small bolt sticking down directly where the speedometer cable enters the tail. If the bolt is like this down at the bottom, it likely is a 280zx 5 speed. If it is at the top (12 o'clock) it is not the desirable close ratio big over drive zx 5 speed)

goon5speedswap018Large-1.jpg

$3K isn't bad for such a good looking body and that's half the battle. As to the mileage... could be but keep i mind the 620 speedo only went to 99,999 before returning to Zero. So if reading 45,000 it could be 345,000. Look at high wear items like the brake pedal pad rubber and steering wheel plastic, dash knobs like the headlights.

That truck sure has some class to it!!! You know you see a truck and it looks just like every other truck.  Well, I see your truck and see a truck that it kept clean,simple, good looking rims and tires and without getting all crazy, you have one clean ride.  And for your first, Congradulations on choosing a Datsun!!!

That truck sure has some class to it!!! You know you see a truck and it looks just like every other truck.  Well, I see your truck and see a truck that it kept clean,simple, good looking rims and tires and without getting all crazy, you have one clean ride.  And for your first, Congradulations on choosing a Datsun!!!

Haha I'd say thank you but the thing is it's not mine (yet)!

Magnet won't be attracted to bondo plastic but will stick to metal. Some bondo is ok if done properly as a thin skim coat, well sealed and painted.

Climb under and look at the back of the transmission for this small bolt sticking down directly where the speedometer cable enters the tail. If the bolt is like this down at the bottom, it likely is a 280zx 5 speed. If it is at the top (12 o'clock) it is not the desirable close ratio big over drive zx 5 speed)

$3K isn't bad for such a good looking body and that's half the battle. As to the mileage... could be but keep i mind the 620 speedo only went to 99,999 before returning to Zero. So if reading 45,000 it could be 345,000. Look at high wear items like the brake pedal pad rubber and steering wheel plastic, dash knobs like the headlights.

Thanks for the advice! As for the photo of the bolt, I'm not quite sure where you're trying to say it's located. I'm not hugely engine bay/parts-savvy so that probably doesn't help

Looks good, good on gas, Datsun for your first car = win!. My advise, go for it. Get a manual, some metric wrenches, and know that anything you need to figure out with it down the road you can find the answer here with the search bar and a great community ready to help. You could always try and get it for a little less but thats not a bad price if it's running well.

might be an L16 or L18 or L20 and the guy really doesn't know look at the passenger side of the block at the back  at the top edge near the aluminum colored head and it will say L something this will tell you for sure what motor is in it 

looks like a nice truck for the price if all mechanical,s are working good  

Check all the fluids first off.  Make sure oil level is good & look under oil fill cap for milky substance (couldbe a bad head gaqsket)  The best thing to do is drive it.  Make sure it drives st8 & brakes good & str8.  Watch for smoke out of the tailpipe when you start it.  Also look for smoke out of the tailpipe when you are decelerating down hill.  Make sure all electrical works.  Wipers, lights, blower, heater, cig liter etc.....  Make sure windows roll down & up.  Check tires for bad wear & dry-cracking.  Look under truck for bad rust spots & check driveline carrier bearing for wear.

It looks like a nice clean truck with a good stance.  If everything checks out should be a cool ride.  Just know that it is a 40 year old truck & will require a little automotive know-how to keep it maintained.

Good luck & keep us posted.

pass on it as your a student. these need more work than you think as they are old.

Buy a Toyota Camery.

better yet a Jeep Cherokee for 4k a clean one.

Not that its a new truck but as your young and think these are going to by a turn key car for your whole college time is wrong.

its a cool truck and if you know Datsuns can be a EZ driver to maintain

Buying this truck comes with responsibility. If you do not give this truck time and money, she will disintegrate. And many people around you will watch with dismay. I want to scare you off if you are looking for a truck. If you are looking for a Datsun, welcome to the family. It's a trip! My first car was a DAtsun.

L16 came stock in a 1975 i bought years ago.  It was a very tight fit to angle the l20b w trans mounted into the body but it did fit just fine.  I wish all trucks had heavy guage metal like that old 75 did. The bed was solid as shit.

After some consideration and the advice you all have given me (thanks to everyone, by the way), I've decided to pass on the truck:( I don't think I'd be the right owner for it due to the fact I'm still in school and somewhat tight for cash it wouldn't be the best idea overall. My true love is Volvos and my parents are willing to sell me their S70 T5 (for much less than the cost of the truck, and about 2.5 times the horsepower:P) so I know I will have a good reliable car! However, some day I will own a Datsun and it will be amazing:)