swapping a ka24de out for sr20det?

ok so I'm about to pull the trigger on a sr20 and guess looking for some last minute opinions

here's what's up. I bought atom's blue 510 2dr came with a ka24de. Totally thought a KA would be substantial enough power when I was shopping for dimes. I did love it when I bought it but it was immediately noticeable that it was no speed demon.

now after having it for some time it's ever more clear that it's needs more. That's not to say it is slow and boring, I always told people it was fast, but it's not. My 350z was much faster and I always thought it was a heavy slow mule.  Became most evident while I was driving the dragon (129) and simply didn't have the power to get out of any turns, unless you rev'd and heel toed the living sh!t out of it.

I had it in my head for awhile that I would just add a turbo to the KA, mostly because I paid extra $$ for a 510 with a modern engine... but more and more I research and talk to buddies with 240sx's. the SR is the only way to go.

so is there anything major that Im not thinking of that will prevent me from simply swapping one out for the other. (beyond wiring, new manifold and such)

drive shaft should be the same right?, as well as tranny mounts? and motor mounts??

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I kind of believe in this, thought it was the answer for awhile. And in the end you can make just about the same amount of power too. Really comes down to how much do you want to spend. What are your goals, how much trouble are you willing to put up with.

ka build after build always ran into some kind of problem. and if you what more that 7-10 psi have to rework the motor. so much to have to upgrade and change out when your turbo it.

from my research, if you want more that 250 and don't want to build an entire motor, sr the way to go.

if you going for more than say 450-500hp, doesnt matter which one cause your overhauling everything.

buddy here has blown up 2 ka-t, another ditched his long ago for sr and swares by it. got tired of arguing with them

plus common sense says go with the motor that was designed to be boosted from the get go. Every time you add Fi to an NA motor going to have problems.

Ya somewhere between 250-325.

I'm aware this is a lot for a 510. Kinda thought about it this way. Drop it in with stock turbo (and top mount manifold) then move up to a t28 once get more comfortable with it.

Feel like if bought everything to turbo the KA, I would be forced to rebuild the motor. Or be running it on the verge of the pistons blowing.

here's what's up. I bought atom's blue 510 2dr came with a ka24de. Totally thought a KA would be substantial enough power when I was shopping for dimes. I did love it when I bought it but it was immediately noticeable that it was no speed demon.

I'm afraid there is no upper end for hp addiction. It's called building a tolerance to something. After a while it takes more and more to get you off. Maybe skip right to the LS1

• Like 1

I know it's kind of an endless debate. Neither one is leaps and bounds better than the other.

I really don't think I will be chasing progressively higher horsepower numbers. I've had friends with 600hp street cars and their honestly pretty stupid. If want that rush I'll go for a ride in boss' 6.5sec pro-mod car.

Max I'd prolly ever go would be 400hp.

Have to say there a bit bias too, as seeing, hearing, and feeling buddies SR's make me want one soo bad.

got the stock l20 in my 620 and its content but i hear you on always wanting more power.  i like the l20 because its reliable and keeps me out of tickets but everytime some honda ricer pulls up to me i wish i had a KA-T or sr. but then again datsuns get more women anyway  :thumbup:

so is there anything major that Im not thinking of that will prevent me from simply swapping one out for the other. (beyond wiring, new manifold and such)

drive shaft should be the same right?, as well as tranny mounts? and motor mounts??

You will need an SR 5 speed, the KA 5 sped won't work

tKAandSR20bells.jpg

^ did not know that tho, I'm buying a complete s14, as I need ecu and wire harness. I'd go for a s13 if price was right but guy i'm buying from is overpriced on his s13 so why not.

Buddy has already started hoarding parts. 2 extra wiring harness, couple MAF's, short block, various parts. Said wouldn't take us but a couple weekends.

Buddy has already started hoarding parts. 2 extra wiring harness, couple MAF's, short block, various parts. Said wouldn't take us but a couple weekends.

bart_laughing.gif

I think it will take several weeks of work maybe months. If you can, go for it.

.bart_laughing.gif

I think it will take several weeks of work maybe months. If you can, go for it.

Haha, right stay optimistic. When you consider I'm going to be completely changing the whole fuel system, ehaust, more wiring beyond the motor.... Already know it's going to take much longer.

If it worn't for optimism we'd still be living in caves, but it always good to be realistic and cary a big stick though. 

The SR is a great power platform for a 510, but it's never going to feel like your 350Z. What you feel in the seat of your pants with the Z is 3.5 liters worth of torque. A turbocharged 2.0L will never give the same low end grunt. That being said, I have an SR 510 with a Garrett 3071R, and yes, it is a total dog up to 3,500 rpm... When it hits boost though, it's a totally different story. Once you get the hang of keeping the revs up and the boost within reach, it'll more than satisfy the urge. My advice, upgrade to a T28, boost it to 12psi and hang on.

What gear ratio do you have in your 510?  While my wagon was running with my KA24de motor, with 3.9 gears a 350z could not pull on me.  I wonder if your motor is just tired or wrong gear ratio out back.  In a 3rd gear pull with my brothers 02 wrx, he could not pull on me either.  We were neck to neck.  Stock 240sx were mated to 4.10ish gearing I believe.  There's more to getting out of corners quick than just power.  Proper gearing has a lot to do with it as well.

What gear ratio do you have in your 510?  While my wagon was running with my KA24de motor, with 3.9 gears a 350z could not pull on me.  I wonder if your motor is just tired or wrong gear ratio out back.  In a 3rd gear pull with my brothers 02 wrx, he could not pull on me either.  We were neck to neck.  Stock 240sx were mated to 4.10ish gearing I believe.  There's more to getting out of corners quick than just power.  Proper gearing has a lot to do with it as well.

Good point Foo man. A shorter drive gear simply compresses the power into a shorter usable range. Good in short track auto-X and roll on pulls from 30 to 80mph. The KA24 is a torquey low revving grunter though, so it's usable power of 155 HP (in stock form) is produced at 5'400 and it's max torque 160lbs at 4,400rpm.  In contrast, a stock s13 SRDET with a T25 boosted to 12psi will produce upwards of 265HP all the way up to 6,500rpm and 210lbs of torque at 4,000rpm, so it's power is distributed over a much greater range. If you're thirsty for more this is a very tall drink. 

Okay so here my plan. Going to hold off on SR for a while.

Going to address everything else on the car I want and need, then if I'm still power hungry ill go for it.

Going to buy seats, wood grain steering wheel, fender mirrors, a rear diff+cv's, and so on.

• Like 1