Bookend KC 620's ... Father & Son trucks

heretic

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my pet peeves on old Datto's is when the hood is shut & it sits down further than it should. With the drivers side hood bumper missing mine did just that... my fix  

drilled holes in the radiator support & put in these adjustable rubber bumpers from a Range Rovers rear doors

IMG_00224.jpg

IMG_00223.jpg

IMG_00227.jpg

I know it wasn't a huge difference but I feel that a combination of small changes make a huge differance in the overall appearance & besides I did say it's a pet peeve... before & after

IMG_00229.jpg

• Like 4

got some rubber installed on the wheels & on the truck

IMG_00542.jpg

IMG_00551.jpg

IMG_00544.jpg

IMG_00546.jpg

IMG_00478.jpg

Then I turned the torsion bars down a bit to close the gap until I find dropped spindles. I was a tad bit lower in the front but the tires were rubbing on the fenders too much when I hit a bump. Not to mention I wasn't sure how I wanted to do the back just yet....... & somewhere in that time frame I pulled the big door mirrors off & put a set of 720 mirrors on it.  

IMG_00484.jpg

IMG_00485.jpg

• Like 6

One of my pet peeves on old Datto's is when the hood is shut & it sits down further than it should. With the drivers side hood bumper missing mine did just that... my fix  

drilled holes in the radiator support & put in these adjustable rubber bumpers from a Range Rovers rear doors

IMG_00224.jpg

IMG_00223.jpg

IMG_00227.jpg

I know it wasn't a huge difference but I feel that a combination of small changes make a huge differance in the overall appearance & besides I did say it's a pet peeve... before & after

IMG_00229.jpg

great idea! mine doesn't have hood bumpers either and my passenger side sits half an inch lower than the drivers

• Like 2

They used to have the square rubbers that fit in the fender channel on both sides as hood bumpers, but most of those have rotted away.  Look for the inch long slit.  I like the Range Rover idea.  Hardbodies also have similar rubber snubbers there.

• Like 2

almost forgot..... before the wheel swap ..... I was at Pick-n-Pull sourcing parts for a brake upgrade & saw a beyond help rusted out 240Z. I didn't give it much of a thought because it was in BAD shape. As I was leaving I thought I'd go take a look. To my surprise it had a 5speed in it..... so I dropped it, brought it home & immediately put it in my truck.

IMG_00535.jpg  

IMG_00820.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Completely rebuilt the front end & put dropped spindles with D21 rotors & brakes on.

IMG_00681.jpg

before .... non-vented 78' rotors

IMG_00677.jpg

after .... D21 vented rotors, hubs & Belltech spindles 

IMG_00678.jpg

IMG_00047.jpg

78' Datsun 620 single piston caliper on the left ..... D21 V6 twin piston caliper on the right ...... slightly more brake pad area :)

IMG_00680.jpg

• Like 1

after waiting & waiting & waiting & waiting .......... AND WAITING. I finally found this 

needs complete rebuild but it was damn near free... D21 KA24E

IMG_00055.jpg

Then I found this to go along with it.

IMG_00057.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

With the 15" wheels, dropped spindles & reindexed torsion bars I still have enough suspension travel that I was having an issue with scrubbing the crossmember under the engine & the front tension rod anchor brackets when I hit a dip in the road. 

So after reading/ following GRpufnstuf thread on Bigger Torsion Bars Please  ......... I started the hunt for a two wheel drive 82' 720 with a manufacturing date of 10/1981 thru 12/1982 ...... Datsun & 80's Nissan trucks don't pop up at the wrecking yards here in CA very often. I was becoming discouraged when looking at every 82' 720 that showed up at the wrecking yards in a 50mile radius, and time and time again, wrong dates. So after 4-5 months I was stoked when I finally found one in Chico, CA

Stock 1978 620 torsion bars

54009-B9500 LH (drivers side)

54009-B9500 RH (passengers side)

IMG_00972.jpg

IMG_00973.jpg

Stock 1982 720 torsion bars (10/81 thru 12/82)

54009-12W00LH-F29 (drivers side)

54010-12W00RH-F29 (passenger side) 

IMG_00968.jpg

IMG_00969.jpg

22.0mm 620 on the left 

24.0mm 720 on the right

IMG_00971.jpg

I admit the difference between the two is not very drastic BUT it has helped TREMENDOUSLY.... the larger bars have slowed the compression of the front suspension enough that I only scrub from time to time but it has to be a fairly large dip & quite a bit of momentum.

I expected the ride to be a bit harsh but surprisingly it feels smoother & the added bonus is that the cornering has seemed to improve a fair amount. All in all I'm very happy with the upgrade & would highly recommend it.   

• Like 3