Bookend KC 620's ... Father & Son trucks

heretic

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

It's been awhile since we've done much of anything to the truck.... its my sons DD commuter & he does approx 50 miles round trip every day & it has been running great. 

Previously we had put a 95 amp Saturn alternator on it and used a turnbuckle (a thread somewhere here on ratsun recommends) as the top mount because of the clocking of the top alternator ear. I DO NOT recommend doing this.!!!!!!

Friday on his way home, while at freeway speed he heard a god awful noise ...... or as he put it ..... "It sounded like the engine wanted to jump out of the hood!" ...... to his testament he stopped immediately to look under the hood & then called me. When I got there the first thing I noticed when looking under the hood was the missing turnbuckle. It was laying inside the fan shroud against the radiator. It had sheared at both the engine side & alternator side mounting points & shot into the radiator.

Once we got the the truck home we swapped in a new radiator (THANKS abominable666) & a WD21 Pathfinder 70amp alternator on the stock upper & lower mounting brackets. It bolted right in no issues.... he's back to the grind this morning.

IMG_00019.jpg

IMG_00018.jpg

• Like 2

love your truck the paint on it is amazing how you got it to shine makes me want to try and see if i can get my old paint to shine like yours keep up the good work and posting on here what are the future plans for this beauty? any mods, or engine swaps

• Like 2

That was my picture you probably saw with that adjuster, sux that it came apart like that. 

Dave offers a much nicer solution. 

http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=23&Itemid=79

350x262-images-stories-alternator%20adju

Not sure how long it is, looks kinda long in that pic. Maybe they are easy enough to shorten? 

• Like 1

love your truck the paint on it is amazing how you got it to shine makes me want to try and see if i can get my old paint to shine like yours keep up the good work and posting on here what are the future plans for this beauty? any mods, or engine swaps

Thanks man I appreciate it. It's officially my boys truck. He does have engine swap plans for it but thats on his dime :) so it may take awhile. He's a musician and prefers to spend his extra money in that department. The next big thing he wants to do is change it over to a manual transmission. He's gathered all the parts, he just needs to block out the time.

That was my picture you probably saw with that adjuster, sux that it came apart like that. 

Dave offers a much nicer solution. 

http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=23&Itemid=79

350x262-images-stories-alternator%20adju

Not sure how long it is, looks kinda long in that pic. Maybe they are easy enough to shorten? 

I'm not sure what thread it was Steve, it's all good. I only bring it up to help educate the community & honestly I wouldn't think there would be that kind of stress on it to cause it to shear. Clearly I was mistaken.

Daves looks badass & I HIGHLY doubt there would be an issue with his.

The pathy alternator has a v-belt pulley, bolted right in & adjusted perfectly, no clearance issues with the idler arm at all... 70amps is plenty & unless someone has a bunch of stereo stuff I would highly recommend it for a 620 upgrade.

• Like 3

I've been working on my truck for the last few months so instead of starting another thread I'll just lump it in with my sons truck here. 

So after getting my sons truck dependable & on the road, I was wondering to myself ..... Why the hell am I not driving a Datsun again? 

So I started the hunt..... I found this little gem in Grants Pass. After striking a deal, I met the dude in Redding CA where he trailered it down to me & I drove it home to Sacramento. It didn't miss a beat.

The first gas stop the day I got it.

IMG_00349.jpg

Home safe & sound.

IMG_00351.jpg

• Like 3

I drove it around stock for a solid 6 months or so while I collected parts. Before I sold my other truck I got home from work one day & my son had put his old wheels on it for me.... the tires on the stock steelies were SMOKED....  

IMG_00353.jpg

IMG_00355.jpg

IMG_00356.jpg

• Like 4

The black crap on the bed is some kind of rust converter. There is no rust anywhere on the truck except surface stuff where you see the black crap. It is a MOTHER F :angel: CKER to get off & I really wish he wouldn't have done it.  

• Like 1

The drivers door hinge musta crapped out at some point and swung out creasing the door & fender... dude hammered it out in a gravel driveway is my guess, another thing I would've handled differently, oh well.

IMG_00368.jpg

IMG_00369.jpg

• Like 2

..........  I want to shine up the paint on my truck seems like doing it by hand will take for ever

honestly I just do small parts at a time over a couple of days. I don't really care what it looks like in the interim. 

• Like 1

The stock tan interior matched my sons interior so I pulled the door cards & gave them to him being that I want a grey interior anywho... I then used his old cards as a template to make new ones for myself....... made a test card for the drivers side.... then the two permanent ones...... drove it for months like this. 

IMG_00925.jpg

IMG_00929.jpg

test panel fit well enough.

IMG_00358.jpg

• Like 4

A hunt for wheels to put on my green truck began......... found these & dude was the original owner that bought them for his Chevy back in the day. He had just given the Chevy to his now 16yr old son who wanted 20's....... The clear coat was yellow & peeling but there was no curb rash...

IMG_01150.jpg

IMG_00301.jpg

IMG_00298.jpg

after a good wash ....... aircraft striper & a LOT of elbow grease... 

IMG_00325.jpg

IMG_00302.jpg

IMG_00321.jpg

IMG_00449.jpg

IMG_00333.jpg

I hadn't polished a set of wheels in a VERY LONG TIME & I had definitely forgotten how much work it is and these things are FAR from perfect but they'll do. 

IMG_00295.jpg

• Like 5

Other fun shit I like to do...... 

Sighting in at 100 yrds

IMG_00066.jpg

Kidney shot ......... & yes the firearm was unloaded. I may be dumb but I'm not stupid.  

IMG_00068.jpg

1" cold rolled steel ........ on the right is 5.56 ..... on the left 7.62 ...... both at approx 50yrds

IMG_00064.jpg

IMG_00065.jpg

• Like 5