Bookend KC 620's ... Father & Son trucks

heretic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stick with 3M or SunGard....... when I had my own business I was an authorized installer for both & both are equally as good. SunGard being a tad bit cheaper, back then at least. 

The tint used on both of these trucks has been stored in a hot garage rafters for literally 20yrs. I was actually very surprised to see that it was still good. 

• 1 month later...

well this happened this past weekend........ I've been driving on a dead #1 cylinder for almost a year now hoping that I'd have the KA done & i'd just do a swap... well ..... I couldn't put it off any longer. The engine that was destined for the red truck needed to go into Stinky (the green truck, named by my wife for the burnt oil smell she endured for the last year). I was bummed I had to put the stock intake/carb back on but I'm doing shit on the cheap right now.

I did however upgrade to a 20lb KA flywheel & D21 clutch....... the stock L20b flywheel I pulled weighed a whopping 32lb's, I was astonished.  

I also am running a NapZ water pump... two reasons.. the one I had was bad & there were no L-series pumps local & most importantly the NapZ pump is 1/2 the cost of an L-series........ weird.  

EDIT: & a KA oil pump also

My nephew helping me out. He loves doing this stuff with me & I enjoy the company :)

Photo%252520Jul%25252011%25252C%25252011

Photo%252520Jul%25252011%25252C%25252011

Photo%252520Jul%25252012%25252C%25252012

ohhhh yeahhhh

Photo%252520Jul%25252012%25252C%25252012

Photo%252520Jul%25252014%25252C%2525206%

once fuel got to the carb, she fired right up & purred like a kitten.!!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

After a shorter than desired break in period we took a 700 mile road trip......... 

Oceano Dunes, CA

Photo%252520Jul%25252020%25252C%2525206%

Photo%252520Jul%25252021%25252C%2525206%

Photo%252520Jul%25252021%25252C%2525207%

she didn't miss a beat..... ran absolutely perfectly, not one single issue....... I couldn't be happier.

• Like 5

Great looking beach :)

It really is. I hadn't been there in 30yrs. I am pleasantly surprised that Kalifornia hasn't shut this place down.......... yet

Congrats on the engine install.  it is great when you get several hundred miles on them and no problems.

Thanks.!! & I averaged 25mpg. I'm very pleased. 

Amazing builds. I just got mine. Definitely watching you for inspiration. I think I read that you are in the Sacramento area. Any tips on finding parts nearby? Do you just regularly cruise the pick and pull? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words. There are MANY great builds here & a ton of information....... I am in Sac.!! I am CONSTANTLY watching the four PnP yards local to me and CL. Datsuns don't pop up very often at the yard & they seem to crush them quick. There has only been 1-2 620's in the last 6 months here in the Sac area. The Ratsun Classifieds are a great place to find parts or run a wanted add. The guys up north seem to have a plethora of old Datsun stuff on hand..... Shoot me a PM on what you're looking for & I'll do what I can to help.      

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Came across this old pic of me & my youngest boy (his is the red 620) on his first trip into the Rubicon. 

Circa 2000-ish

85' Xtra Cab.... mostly stock

welded rear

5.29's

Marlin Crawler

35" tires

she'd go just about anywhere

PGPhoto.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty easy to get back down to the oem paint with the correct chemicals and some elbow grease. A few guys around here have done just that. 

That is a nice kc Yota, bet you missed that rig. :cool: 

620 is looking FINE as usual. :D

• Like 3