Bookend KC 620's ... Father & Son trucks

heretic

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you're probably like most everyone on this site... why pay someone when YOU KNOW you can do it yourself. Therefore it IS to exspensive.

it's SO EASY to do.!! more than anything its practice & the key is LOTS & LOTS of water & I prefer to pull the glass also.

Back when I was doing cars most the window seals were like our 620's, now they "glue" them in & the tint needs to be cut to size & placed, I've done many cars that way but I hate it.

A lot of guys will say to put a dab of soap in the water to make it "slicker"...  DON'T.!!!  most soaps have ammonia or other chemicals that break down the adhesive over time. Ever see old window tint that is purple? Its the ammonia in glass cleaners that bleaches it AND cheap tint. They make specialized slicking agents to add to the water but you really don't need it. The films adhesive will be more than slick enough with plenty of water. 

Whats the going rate up there, out of curiosity?

• Like 1

Sorry for the late intro. I've been lurking here for a bit & have meant to start a build thread for awhile but I'm terrible with documenting progress.

EDIT: I will do my best to try & keep this as chronological as possible.

Long of the short is, I was quite excited when my son wanted to build a Datsun. My very first car was a B210 & I have a long love affair with them. His first "want" was a 510 but being that he needed a daily, it was out of his AND my price range. He quickly set his eyes on a 620 KC

We watched & watched CL & finally one popped up. We struck a deal & off we drove.

We brought it home & he immediately got to buffing out the abused paint.

IMG_00095.jpg

IMG_00097.jpg

IMG_00098.jpg

IMG_00099.jpg

IMG_00100.jpg

What did you use to make your paint shine??

• Like 1

Thanks man. I appreciate the input.

I got all my parts at PnP. A buddy & I turned the rotors down to fit modern wheels. 

YOU WILL wait forever for a V6 D21, they weren't very common I've found.

Exactly What I Did:

Brakes

• Bell-Tech D21 Dropped Spindles (2wd 4cylinder spindles 85.6' thru 97')
  • Hubs & the dust shields (if you want them) from any 85.6' thru 97' 2wd 4cylinder hardbody
  • Calipers & Mounting brackets (keep the hardware) from a 85.6' thru 97' 4x4 Hardbody or Pathfinder
  • Order new rotors for a 2wd D21 V6 truck.

Ball joints

• Upper ball joints are the same from 78' to 97' ... Moog PN# K9022 
  • Lower ball joints are the same from 78' to 85' ... Moog PN# K9045 

You're probaly saying "but wait wait my spindle is now a D21 not 620/720" ... Don't worry, the only change to the lower ball joint (D21) was the way it attaches to the lower control arm NOT the spindle. You're 620 LCR is the controling factor with this part :)

My master cylinder (13/16") & all my steering componants are stock.

The 13/16" MC works great. 

Thanks for the list.  Looks like I have everything except the hub and the ball joints.  There is a V6 in San Jose and one in Modesto, but that is what PnP says and sometimes they are wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks guys appreciate the comments.

:) nice, I feel honored, steal away :)

No, but I will be robbing it from yours :D

The 4cyl D21 hubs are a dime a dozen & the ball joints I would buy new.

Thanks for the list.  Looks like I have everything except the hub and the ball joints.  There is a V6 in San Jose and one in Modesto, but that is what PnP says and sometimes they are wrong.

• Like 1

We're getting close now. I scoured my comp for more pics but most were on my phone.... bummed

all this info is why build threads rock man!!! 

keep at it, are we almost caught up or have you been holding out that long? 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Thanks man.!!

Not sure if I understand your question entirely .... my truck is a 78' ball joint truck. I only swapped spindles & brakes & kept the original 78' ball joint control arms.

Whoa sick! So much motivation.

So you're saying if I buy those parts for the ball-joint/disc swap I DONT need any modified control arms? Just the upper and lower ball-joints?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So when we bought the truck the front windshield leaked BAD. You could tell it had been like that for awhile because of all the silicone & RTV bullshit used to try and stop the leak........ none of it worked.

My biggest fear & why we kept putting it off, rust..!! I was dreading replacing all the rusted pinchwelds under the gasket.........

beginning to cut out the dry brittle gasket... layers of RTV & other "sealant" & look at that TRASHED dash.!!

IMG_00607.jpg

IMG_00604.jpg

IMG_00605.jpg

much to my surprise there was ZERO rot... just very minimal surface rust that we cleaned up with a wire wheel & then primed & painted black. We taped it off & painted to the body like at the top edge & under the cowl.

IMG_00611.jpg

IMG_00609.jpg

IMG_00616.jpg

IMG_00620.jpg

IMG_00624.jpg

New little windshield wiper gaskets... 

IMG_00622.jpg

Done & happy with the results... leak test passed with flying colors.

IMG_00626.jpg

While we were at it we cleaned up & swapped in a better dash & swapped in a new passengers seat...... thats a later update :)

• Like 3