Anyone upgrade DRUMS (rear)

oldskoolvws

Looking for some ideas. Don't like the fact that they are not auto adjust. I have the Krecs back brackets for disks but will likely not use them. I want to stay with drums in the rear.

Anyone convert anything, upgrade?

I'm thinking about trying to convert to first gen Toyota Runner back plates and brake gear.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My plan is/was to put in an early Toyota axle ('84), but not just for the brakes.  They do have self adjusting drums, but they're also a little wider so it would work better with the higher offset wheels I want to run, and I have an LSD to drop into it.  But, the axle tubes are smaller so that's one downside, and I haven't found the right size spring perches nor ubolts.

I have always wondered if the 720 84+ self adjusting rear axle drum brakes/hardware will bolt to an early axle, it looks like it is the same, but there are subtle differences in datsun/nissan hardware, it would be interesting to find out if it will bolt on though.

Maybe someday I will try it when I have another late axle.

Wayno, next time I go to the yards, I may may have to pull some hardware from a 720 to see the same. I guess only the backing plate would be needed at first? Also I guess the measurement from the mounting face of the backing plate to the surface of the hub would be needed as well to make sure the pad to drum sits right.

The self adjusters were introduced in the middle of the '82 model year. I was told the axle length was changed too because of this but you never know if you change the backing plate and everything

• 7 months later...

I drove my 521 to a pick n pull and a guy walked over to me and started talking about my truck. Long story short he said he had one year's ago and that he upgraded all of the brakes on it to 11 inch off a mid 60s chevy pickup. He used all of the backing plates and the master cylinder from the c10. Plus he stated he installed a self adjusting kit for them. It sounded crazy to me but who knows?

I agree. The guy at the wrecking yard that I referred to was one of the dudes that you weren't sure if he was on crack or Angel dust. You know the type? Just wouldn't shut up! Making what he said about those chevy drum brakes seem like horse shit.

If you can't lock them up, the brakes are not big enough. The fact that you can lock them up means the brakes are bigger than needed.

How to prevent lock up? The industry moved to ABS. Before that an expert driver could feather the pedal when on the edge of lockout.

Disc brakes do not inherently stop faster. Instead their performance advantage is in superior cooling which means they can get much hotter before they fade.

If you can't lock them up, the brakes are not big enough. The fact that you can lock them up means the brakes are bigger than needed.

How to prevent lock up? The industry moved to ABS. Before that an expert driver could feather the pedal when on the edge of lockout.

Disc brakes do not inherently stop faster. Instead their performance advantage is in superior cooling which means they can get much hotter before they fade.

And discs work better in the rain.

First of all you shouldn 't lock up your breaks. You are suposed to pump them instead of riding them until they lock up. I know it is difficult to do this but with repeated practice it will be helpful when the emergency arises

How do u not lock them up in emergencies?

Drums up front are kinda scary for sudden stops, i have drums up front and will be driving it like that for a while with a ka

The point is that larger brakes will just lock up easier. If you want to stop, in the shortest distance you don't want full lock up. In a emergency, I mean at death's door heading for a cliff, I know of no one that can feather the brakes once they lock up. Maybe if you were sliding a long long distance you may be able to have time to let up and re apply the brakes but it goes against everything your senses are screaming at you. When you need to stop there is no time to waste taking your foot off the brakes.

• Like 1

From what I have read 1960-1970ish chevy full size pickups use 3/16 brake lines for the front and 1/4 lines for the rear brakes. All the brake line nuts and knuckles are the same size as the 521 pickups. So I guess as long as you got the backing plates off the given year chevy pickup it could work. If somebody is willing to devote the time and effort. One good thing about chevy products is that there is always reproduction parts available. Somebody do this and tell us how it goes. Convert your 10 inch brakes to chevy 11 inch drum brakes.