cost of amunition

I live in so Cal and a number of laws in my county already passed. You can call it retarted, but it's a real threat. Thankfully none of the laws don't allow me to go out and buy from a city 30 min away. Still doesn't change the fact I have to leave town to purchase something as simple a 9mm ammo.

But those laws are nothing new. It's not CA guys (or New York or now Colorado) that are driving the prices up. It's panic from everywhere, like super gun-friendly Oklahoma dudes who buy every round of ammo that comes in who are buying every round they come across that are driving the prices up and causing the empty shelves everywhere. My brother bought the Sig AR that Walmart sold on Black Friday (a few weeks before Watertown) but only got 2 boxes of ammo because there's a mom & pop store he gets Ammo from. Unfortunately he waited too long and still hasn't been able to get more ammo. So that beautiful bastard remains unfired :(

And I agree, 1,000 rounds isn't hoarding. It's getting ready for the weekend. Lol

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But those laws are nothing new. It's not CA guys (or New York or now Colorado) that are driving the prices up. It's panic from everywhere, like super gun-friendly Oklahoma dudes who buy every round of ammo that comes in who are buying every round they come across that are driving the prices up and causing the empty shelves everywhere. My brother bought the Sig AR that Walmart sold on Black Friday (a few weeks before Watertown) but only got 2 boxes of ammo because there's a mom & pop store he gets Ammo from. Unfortunately he waited too long and still hasn't been able to get more ammo. So that beautiful bastard remains unfired :(

And I agree, 1,000 rounds isn't hoarding. It's getting ready for the weekend. Lol

Actually, 2 new laws were passed in my county since January.

This has been going on for a few years now actually, but it's gotten to the point where it's really bad now. Ever since Obama mentioned the idea of "fingerprinting" ammo a couple years back, people have been buying ammo like mad. We were just at Sportsmans yesterday, and the ammo shelves were almost completely bare. Walmart has THREE boxes of ammo total. All of the "normal" size ammo was gone. Apparently there's a line to wait in on Saturday mornings to get ammo. Unbelievable. I have a little bit for each of my guns, but it would be nice to get some more when things calm down. We'll be hitting the next gun show when it rolls into town.

If you don't have them already, buy a reloading tool and dies, hoard cases and bullets, pick up all the wheel weights and buy a good Lyman bullet mold in your favorite caliber.  When metal jacket bullets are unavailabe you would be surprised at what gas checked lead bullets can do.  Then on to an appropriate few cannisters of powder.  It's easier to by several 1 pound cans, no fire department crap about "dangers quantities of hazardous materials" then.  Lyman, Hornady and other powder makers sell complete reloading manuals and most gun shops have flysheets from the powder companies giving current reloading data on their company's powders.

• Like 1

And this is a problem why?

Not a problem, and it may be more like 20,000 rounds. There is a massive amount of time and effort as well. Primers at times are unobtainable. I have looked into it quite extensively. As ammo prices increase, so do all the required materials.

When I was a kid, I'd come home from school and go plink 150 rounds or so with my bolt action long rifle. Or 50-75 rounds of .38, shooting used to be cheap. I can remember one day with my buddy's going through 1500 rounds on my .38 just fuckin off. Cleaned the gun twice that day and my fingers were covered in lead.

By the time you buy all the necessary equipment for reloads, you need to make about 10,000 rounds before it pays for itself.

Soo... seven or 8 good weekends and your even :D

With a Dillon 650 reloading station taking my time I could do about 300 rounds an hour. Many reloading supplies aren't available right now either. Hell I've been picking brass of all calibers at all the back woods shooting sites and even then, slim pickens. People aren't nearly as wasteful.

Wheel weights aren't the ideal lead, plumbers lead is what you want. Fishing sinkers and weights too. Wheel weights have a lot of impurities.

Here's what the gunsmith told me the other day:

The shortages started with the people who were scared of what Obama might legislatively get accomplished, which shifted into high gear after Sandy Hook.  Places not having a limit on how many boxes at that time meant that people could literally fill their cars with ammo.  Additionally Homeland Security thought it might be a good idea to stock up on a bunch of ammo while they could.  This leaves us where we are now...never thought I would see the day that I couldn't buy .22 long rifle on the cheap.  He also said that 13 months of ammo in "normal mode" was sold in 2 months of "hoarding mode".   O.O  That works out to at least 2 years for manufacturers to fill backlogs and get ahead of things, maybe longer.   This is a 60 year old man, telling me he's never seen anything like this.  Now if we could get other parts of the economy going again, lol!

Actually, 2 new laws were passed in my county since January.

That sucks man. I'm sorry to hear it.

Obviously I don't know the situation for every area so I shouldn't have generalized, but what I said holds true for my area at least. Bottom line is it sucks that people are having such a hard time getting gear and paying out the ass when they do :(

California has already banned all lead ammo for hunting. The police won't let them ban it all together or they'll be paying through the nose too

Not exactly, only some counties have it banned, mainly those in the range of the condor. This bill is newer and is a total ban for any hunting of any wildlife. There are several intended/unintended consequences if/when this bill passes. Also government officials are specifically exempted.

Text of the bill:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/asm/ab_0701-0750/ab_711_bill_20130319_amended_asm_v98.pdf

http://www.sportsmenslink.org/policies/legislative-alerts/california-a-711-1

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/28/california-lawmakers-weigh-first-statewide-ban-on-lead-ammo/

Current restrictions:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/

I just paid $85 for 550 rounds of .22 LR.Gun show price.

This is why the price stays high.  The demand is willing to pay 85$ for a 9$ box of ammo.  The seller would be stupid to sell it for actual market value ifhis customers would give him more.  The only way to lower the price of what little ammo is avail is to refuse to pay more than its worth.   

Something is still amiss during this ammo crisis,   CCI  a well know rim fire ammo supplier makes more than 4 million round per day, there is only 315 million people in the usa,  alot of those people dont use ANY rim fire ammo or any kind of ammo for that matter and you still have companies like winchester, remington, and federal that make millions!!!!  MILLLIONS of round per day.  There shouldnt be an ammo shortage but there is.  I believe this is partly due to the fact that pople like Z train are paying 85$ a box, the market is creating a fake shortage to keep prices high. I also beleive our corrupt govt has its nose where it doesnt belong.  

If CCI were the ONLY company making .22lr then they alone would produce 7300 boxes of 550 bulk per day.  Thats roughly 150 boxes for each of the US's 50 states every single day.  

Its the same thing that happened end when Obama wanted to serial number ammo, all the manufacturing slowed down and demand went up. I stopped buying ammo about 6 months ago just because of all the crazy demand and pricing. There are a few good deals at shows, a buddy of mine picked up .308 for .30 a round at a gun show last month. Deals are still out there just a lot harder to find

This is why the price stays high.  The demand is willing to pay 85$ for a 9$ box of ammo.  The seller would be stupid to sell it for actual market value ifhis customers would give him more.  The only way to lower the price of what little ammo is avail is to refuse to pay more than its worth.   

Something is still amiss during this ammo crisis,   CCI  a well know rim fire ammo supplier makes more than 4 million round per day, there is only 315 million people in the usa,  alot of those people dont use ANY rim fire ammo or any kind of ammo for that matter and you still have companies like winchester, remington, and federal that make millions!!!!  MILLLIONS of round per day.  There shouldnt be an ammo shortage but there is.  I believe this is partly due to the fact that pople like Z train are paying 85$ a box, the market is creating a fake shortage to keep prices high. I also beleive our corrupt govt has its nose where it doesnt belong.  

If CCI were the ONLY company making .22lr then they alone would produce 7300 boxes of 550 bulk per day.  Thats roughly 150 boxes for each of the US's 50 states every single day.

Cram it.I need the ammo.Sellers market.Learn how the world works.

The big retailers will be the ones with the best prices. They are competing with each other just as much as supplying the demand. Wall mart, cabelas, sportsman wearhouse, bass proshops, these are the places that have to keep their ammo prices lower to make sure they sell it

Cram it.I need the ammo.Sellers market.Learn how the world works.

yes i sure do know how the world works they raise the prices and Z-train buys it at higher price's,i think they call that supply and demand,Well the good news i got a ton of supply so i will just wait for the demand to drop.Thats why i was smart enough to stock a shit load up before al this bullshit happen.I shoot straight enough to not have to waste my money on over priced AMMO.Keep getting ripped off my flamming Datsun gun shooting buddy.

• Like 1