Hainz... I feel dumb

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

So... today Hainz came out after I was having some timing troubles and we (he) got her sorted out :D . I'd tried a bunch of times to get the timing to where it would run, but was unsuccessful. I finally called up Icehouse and later Hainz, and he decided to come out and take a look. I had thought it wasn't firing cause maybe I had aligned the wrong cam # v notch and tick mark, but in the end Hainz illustrated my DatsuNoobiness by checking the most basic of things. Fouled spark plugs!! I didn't even think it was possible to foul them out so quickly cause I had just bought them a week prior. I even spent a few extra bucks and got the NGK V power R plugs instead of the autolites, so I thought they were fine. I felt like such a dumbshit. I ended up using a set of his used autolite platinums and it pretty much fired up right away. I knew it couldn't be the timing because there's only so many ways to set it and after watching Hainz's DVD I thought I had it right(and I did all along). So he adjusted my valve lash (which was nice) and it runs now. I'm used to working on fuel infected watercooled VW's not these damn carbureted Dattos (this is my 1st datsun experience), but Hainz has instructed me in the ways of the L motor and it only costed me $20 and a little embarrasment:o What a guy. THANKS AGAIN HAINZ FOR SAVING MY ASS!! HAHAHAHA

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The truck is timmed ok and the coil was firing. But nothing was really happening. No popping, Nothing just turning over.

I had to adjust the valve lash on 2 rockers and one intake bolt wasnt even ON there good.

I was stumped but then pull some spare spark plug out of my truck and it ran.

stuck the old ones back in and there were bad.

The Weber is a 34/34 type progressive. Its not a 32/36DGEV. So your description was wrong when you told me it was a 32/36DGEV. Really need to get this stuff right the first time!!!!!!!

That HEADER FRANK SOLD YOU IS BAD NEWS(not worth 25$). Its cumbersome and a super titie fit so everybody else this is a example of what not to get and never get used long tube headers for any datsun unless if specified/

Thats why I say get the short tube header from Top End Performance. or use a stock L16 type exhaust manifold. End of story. Fuck everything else.

But there still seems to be other iisue on this truck as it doesnt rev up quit right and need the PCV valve hooked up or plugged on intake) need s a compression test and timmed also.

Unfortunatly if that head has to come off those lower exhaust bolts are hard to get a wrench in there also. Then header is up againts the torsion bar. Hard to pull the header off the motor!!!!!!!!

There is no reason why you couldnt take a intake and exhaust off in 20mins!!!!!!!!!At least a L16 setup

Do not buy the 34DGEC!!!!!!!!(like you did) all other are fine on the linkage

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/Nissan_Replacement_Carburetors_s/37.htm

That HEADER FRANK SOLD YOU IS BAD NEWS(not worth 25$). Its cumbersome and a super titie fit so everybody else this is a example of what not to get and never get used long tube headers for any datsun unless if specified/

Thats why I say get the short tube header from Top End Performance. or use a stock L16 type exhaust manifold. End of story. Fuck everything else.

...So Hainz....What if you get a round port long tube and plan on cutting it "short" to fit better? It's been hell trying to find a round tube header...Isn't that better than the stock L-16 on an L20B / W-58????

Guest DatsuNoob

Hainz! What the shit? I told you it was a 34 DGEC all along! HAHAHA Check out the posts from when you told me my linkage was fuct. I watched the Hino 510 KA DVD last night, I had no idea you were so funny (just kidding) I laughed my ass off. I really cant thank you enough for coming out from Coving-town to lend a hand(and a few spark plugs). Sorry I couldn't hook up the poon tang payment(I don't chase it down anymore, I've forgotten what the thrill of the hunt feels like :D). Atleast I gave back an intake so you can help out the next poor bastard, or use it yourself. Thanks again!

Guest DatsuNoob

Hey Ice.. It's your typical hunka junk near stock 76 620. I do have mint green velour interior(buttons and all!), which is pretty cool I guess. I found all kinds of shit in there that made me laugh though. It was an old man's dump runner, so I found all kinds of stuff an old man might keep in an old datsun truck. I found a rubbing alcohol bottle with a masking tape label marked "drinking water", some old snotty tissue, an old school mini dustpan and matching brush, an AARP (american assoc of retired people?) card, Bob and Connie's phone #, an old ass glass tube style "pine" air freshener with a felt tip, a tarp, some polident, a Sears brand CB radio with a "realistic" box speaker, and a couple other items that escape my memory for the time being. That air freshener is super vintage style, and still full, so I decided to use it. I dont even know where you'd find something like that anymore. I shoulda sold it to an antique store and made some money, but oh well.

I found a broom in one of my trucks :D I also had a speaker like the, a thief thought it was a box full of cash or something, they broke it opened and ruined it....

Datsun76 620

They do not make round port headers andy more that I can find. I have one myself which I got from YellowCar(Tim) Its a short tube. But dont want to get rid of it YET. I always try to find squareport heads.

I dont know if you can put a squareport on a round. I think it can be done.

Datsunaholic/Mklotz or someone else might know, as I dont even bother with it.

DatsunNoob head looks like a pain and was a paint o get in and it right up againts the torsion bar. and is a long tube header which if you really lower the truck could hit a spped bump on its way down.

I suggest the Top End perf header but after seeing what Datsun Noob went thru I would just have told him install a 32/36weber DGV and just try to get it running. and he wouldnt hav ehad to take the intake exhaust off in the first place. He just needs a vehicle that runs right now beside his redline Bicycle!!!

personally I think that header he installed will make his car harder to work on !!!!!!

Also datsunNoob

I would have been funnier around you(or smart ass) but after seein that shotgun in the truck of that car, and your buddy that blocked me in(with the Toyota) He didnt look to friendly and It was time to leave!!!!!!!!!

I've seen 3 different sets of "new"(less than a week old) plugs go bad like that. The first time it happened to me....over 20 years ago...I was clueless.....spent over a week working on everthing with no luck. I was telling Paula how the only friggin' thing I hadn't replaced in the last week was the plugs.....DOH!!! Went out and put the old ones back in....fired first crank!!

Second time....worked on it for a day....told my dad it acted just like the other car (months before) .....DOH!!! Swapped them out....first crank!

Third time.....customer at Knecht's having problems...the counter guys asked me what I thought....it was a Sunday and I was feeling generous.....so I went over to his place to take a look. Yep...brand new plugs...dead. He swapped them and called me back....fired first crank!

Anyway.....don't feel too bad for not catching the plugs. I posted this just so that others will know that it is something to think about when the rig won't start.....even with brand new plugs! :)

Mike, that's true for anything 'new'. When trying to troubleshoot a friend's problems it's one of the first things I ask. "Oh, it cant be the points/regulator/carb/ ...(whatever)... I just changed that last week/ yesterday/ this morning... " (chuckle)

Guest DatsuNoob

Hainz, aw man, I I just brought out the shotgun because last time I was at your place you had mentioned turkey shooting, and how you were getting back into hunting. I didnt bring it out to be a "tough guy" or to intimidate anyone, I just thought I'd show you what a deal I got for $100 and figured maybe we could go shoot some clay or something some time cause I saw your clay chucker in the front yard, but you left in a hurry right after that, and I didnt really get a chance to bring it up. I dont hang out with shithead people(met plenty in my day already), they're all good honest guys with jobs and kids. Chris(the guy with the Lexus, is as fuckin harmless as a squirrel)

So, sorry if you felt threatened, it wasn't my intention. Why would i shoot the guy who helped me fix my truck? HAHAHA. Honestly that gun hasn't ever been used outside of target practice. Matt, the guy who came over later actually thought you sketched out because of that, then we felt kinda bad.

DatsunNoob

I have a conceled weapons permit myself

I just feel better when I have the gun and everybody else DOESENT!!!!!

I had to leave before I started smoking all your cigarettes!!!!!!!!!!

Everybody was smoking!!!!!!!!!!!You notice that!!!!!!!

let me know how the truck is running. I still think something else is wrong unless it s just the exhaust not being hookeds up but it should REV better than it was.

Guest DatsuNoob

Haven't had much of a chance to get into it much since you came over. I played with the mixture screw a little and it seemed to help some, but my buddy with the timing light didn't get off work until late, and I need to get paid before hooking up the exhaust system(looking at a new job tonight too). The boy had to see the doctor and get ear tubes put in today, so I've been at home taking care of him. I'll most likely tackle the timing and carb adjustments this Sat or Sunday. I'm stoked it fires right up on the first turn of the key though, so it can't be too far off 10 degrees, it also runs alot smoother than when me and Pumpkn210(Dave) got into it. It hardly shakes anymore which is nice.

Hope all the best for your pickem-up-truck. But the carb really needs to be adjusted right. If you run lean, you burn it up. If you run rich, you cant afford to fill it up or buy enough plugs. I am pretty sure if you get the carb dialed in(pain in the ass adjustment screw) and the timing set, she will be a ripper!

Nice truck too Hainz! That shit was hella legit!:D