Shaved Handles

Ryno620

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The door mechanism looks easy enough to just have the rod come straight up through the door but i dont want it to be rough. My plans were to french it into the door so the button sits flush just above the bullet but im unsure if it will defeat the purpose. I have shit doors to trial ideas on

I did this on my Hardbody or...D 21. Shaved handle & lock...extended the rod that used to connect to the handle that opens the door...drilled a 1/4 inch hole on top of door...extended rod pokes out of said hole 1 inch...screw on chrome interior door lock pull & bam !

Push down on rod to open the door.

In Aus you've got to have a manual way on the outside to open the doors for it to be legal

Imagine the first person to get to you's surprise when they try to open the door to get you out of your burning truck.

• Like 2

I did this on my Hardbody or...D 21. Shaved handle & lock...extended the rod that used to connect to the handle that opens the door...drilled a 1/4 inch hole on top of door...extended rod pokes out of said hole 1 inch...screw on chrome interior door lock pull & bam !

Push down on rod to open the door.

Here is what Mark is talking about, this truck is a friend of mines and that is what he did.. You can see the rod up my the window slot.. that is the door handle..

1204mt-011978-toyota-hiluxgold-flake_zps

Now on my truck when I shaved the lock and handle. I mounted the selonoid inside the door on the side that has the latch on it. So the mounting bolts arent in the way.. I had remote/keyless entry, but my friend that installed it for me added a hidden swtich just in case you lock your keys in...

The entry with your key is the way to go. I've done this in the years past and it is great! Just have a spare key in your wallet or elsewhere so when you go gas up you don't lock them inside by accident. Show us some pics and let us know how it comes out.

Just so everyone knows, im not opposed to having a visable external manual way of opening the doors. I just wanted a clean way of doing it that worked in with the particular styling of the bulletside doors

Just trying to be the voice of reason here that's all. In a panic situation a would-be rescuer will reach for a door handle that he is used to seeing and it's not there. Would he have the sense to feel around for another lever? Would he even figure out that it's a push button electric solenoid? Things to think about.

Just trying to be the voice of reason here that's all. In a panic situation a would-be rescuer will reach for a door handle that he is used to seeing and it's not there. Would he have the sense to feel around for another lever? Would he even figure out that it's a push button electric solenoid? Things to think about.

I think any rescuer would break out the window. In an accident you never know what will not work anymore anyways. I usually have something in the car I can used to break out the window from the inside. Need to pick up a couple emergency glass hammers like I've been meaning to.

Thanks for all the feedback.

2eDeYe i thought the door mechanism needs to push down, how did u get the lock to do that? Cause i know it goes sideways. And then is your only entry by key?

You can see the modified linkage in the pictures I posted. Basically you set up the linkage to activate the door latch with the key lever.

Yes rescue personnel but what about about at night, you're knocked out and some old man or kid is the first one by? I say never walk into a room that has no exit. I suppose they may throw a rock through the window because the door would be jammed anyway. 

The entry with your key is the way to go. I've done this in the years past and it is great! Just have a spare key in your wallet or elsewhere so when you go gas up you don't lock them inside by accident. Show us some pics and let us know how it comes out.

Look, its really simple. Once you disconnect the linkage from the door handle, take a good look at where it needs to go on the lock. And go from there....