510 wagon project

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

the 2 flasher units could also be bad :confused:

Well I managed to resolve a few of the issues I had previously.

Looks like one flasher unit was bad. So now the blinkers and hazards work.

Head lights do work but the high beams don't seem to want to turn on. When I flip on the high beams all the head lights turn completely off. I checked all the connections and everything looks good. I've cleaned the terminals on the fusebox. Not sure what exactly could be going on there. I do hear a click noise from the passenger side when I flip the high beam switch.

Got the front side markers to function correctly as well. Swapped one of the marker lights out (turned out to have a LOT of rust inside when I opened it up to replace the bulb) and only had to replaced a bulb on the other.

So far all I have left is to bleed the brakes, adjust the motor idle, replace all the fluids in the car, and then some new tires. :D

The list is getting shoter! Well maybe a little longer... think I need to pull out the seats that some one put in this wagon. They are far too low.. I can't see over the steering wheel!

I think even the stock seats would sit higher than these. I'll have to dig up a set from another car or just use the stock seats. I'll have to do a search for what people are putting in their cars with out much modification..

Well I managed to figure out the high beam problem. Turned out the high beams worked and the low beams didn't but only the outers turn on during the high beam and the low beams didn't turn on at all. Anyways I nabbed a head light relay from my other 510 shell and it looked like it was newer and had a diffrent connector with an adaptor cable. Anyways plugged it in and all the lights work great. :D

Currently i'm working on the radio. Trying to get the one that was in the car to work since it has a casset player (can use an ipod :D) I hooked up the stock radio which did work unfortunately the stock speaker has been destroyed over the years. Pretty much all 3 of my diffrent 510's had broken stock speakers. Oh well, figured using the stock radio would be a quick fix. Anyways, I have a few ideas on how to get this casset deck working.

The only other issue at the moment is that some of the cluster lights won't light up. I've replaced all the bulbs and cleaned the connections. The lights that light up the gagues work but the red lights for oil, chg, and pkb do not light up when the key is turned right before the turn to start the car.

Also the highbeam light under the speedo doesn't come on when the high beams are on. Not sure what exactly is going on with these lights.

nice goon

i know its kinda late in the game...

yes that is a yota gas cap.

73-77 celica and corona

i found one new in the box at a yard in a trunk once

gas cap when advertised for a 1st gen celica will go up in price a bit.:D

also dont know about the other three but the one rim with the center cap and beauty ring were 81-85 celica GT, the cap will prolly get you $5-20 on ebay.

nice goon

i know its kinda late in the game...

yes that is a yota gas cap.

73-77 celica and corona

i found one new in the box at a yard in a trunk once

gas cap when advertised for a 1st gen celica will go up in price a bit.:D

also dont know about the other three but the one rim with the center cap and beauty ring were 81-85 celica GT, the cap will prolly get you $5-20 on ebay.

Cool thanks for the info. Glad some one has a clue what it is from. I asked "toyota people" about this stuff and everyone had no clue.

if thats the case with the cap I'll likely toss it up on ebay before I some how destroy it. Too bad I don't have the set.

With all the toyota stuff on this car i'm betting the front seats in the wagon are also toyota. I should take some pics, I'm betting some one would want some front seats in decent shape.

Made a little bit of progress today. Noticed I didn't have a connector on the oil sender on the side of the block. Once that was connected the oil light did turn on in the cluster. Although I'm still not getting the CHG light.

I checked all the connections on the alternator and everything is connected. Replaced some bad spliced wires but still not getting that CHG light when the key is turned right before ignition.

Over all the car has a few issues but fairly complete. Still got some more work to do but the list is getting smaller. :D

Guest jaimesix
Man,it must be great to be able to take the doors off something without having to worry about animals jumping in and ruining the interior... Wish I could take the doors of one of my projects to do a thorough job.

In Los Angeles the only animals you could get inside your open vehicle are thieves and scum bags.:rolleyes:

That's the test position to check that the bulb isn't blown. Maybe it's telling you something?:D

Well I swapped a working light from the oil to the chg and it still wouldn't turn on.

Decided to diagnose an issue with the wipers. They won't turn on for some reason. It turned out one of the arms was totally stuck and that seemed to have burned out the motor. I just pulled the arms and motor from a parts car and swapped it over.

Overall most everything has been resolved only a few small things remain.

Well i've made slow progress, got A radio set up in the car... unfortunately a stock AM radio. I won't be using that very often. I almost never listen to anything while driving anyways.

I've been kind of bored so I've took on a small project to make side marker blinkers. Which is amazingly easy. Works nice.

0819081539.jpg

Also the wiper motor AND the arms wouldn't work. The motor appears to have died and the arm part of the arm was completely stuck. So I took the whole set up from one of my shells and it works great.

Umm, what else... Oh swapped out one of the seats in the car and put a stock seat in. Thought it'd be a bit taller but it is taller than the one taken out which was falling apart underneath. It looks like i'll need some sort of booster to drive the car correctly.

Pic of the old seat:

0819081759.jpg

The stock seat I put in isn't much better than the one that came out but the foam inside seems to be in better shape.

Still waiting on some one to help with brake bleeding and getting the idle properly adjusted.

Well i've made a bit of progress on the wagon.

Replaced the broken and worn out endlinks on the sway bar. Also noticed one of the other parts that mount to the body of the car was destroyed so I took it off and replaced it with one from another of my shells.

Managed get the brakes bled but still having a little trouble with them. Only getting some brake pressue. Likely the wheel cylinders need to be replaced. Could solve the issue.

Did get the idle to a normal rate with some adjustment of the timing but mostly adjustment on the carb. Seems to idle just about right.

Did get the car to move around a bit. The automatic seems to be a little jumpy. I think due to the brakes not working completely it sort of messed with the automatic. I assume once the brakes are working properly it should smooth it out a bit more, I hope. I have been considering swapping in a 4speed and getting rid of the automatic. My main concern is if the automatic wagon driveline is the same size as the wagon 4speed driveline? If that is the same i'll likely do the swap.

I think that is it for now. I've been thinking if I should keep moving on with the project or just sell it as it is and move on. Not sure if i'll ever get the wagon to my liking or if I have the patience.

Those are without a doubt from a Z. I would love to take them off your hands. Wish you were closer. Get up to the Portland area often?

Seems you're making great progress. On the brakes - Don't forget the hoses. I've seen them deteriorate internally causing inadequate pressure to the calipers or cylinders. Braided hoses are worth every penny. After putting them on my coupe, I'll never use anything else. Keep us all posted.

Those are without a doubt from a Z. I would love to take them off your hands. Wish you were closer. Get up to the Portland area often?

Seems you're making great progress. On the brakes - Don't forget the hoses. I've seen them deteriorate internally causing inadequate pressure to the calipers or cylinders. Braided hoses are worth every penny. After putting them on my coupe, I'll never use anything else. Keep us all posted.

I could make it up there in the next few weeks maybe but we'll see if it happens. I would likely make it as far up as Eugene / Albany? I'm going to going up that way some time soon, got some stuff that I need to do while i'm there.

In the way of progress on the wagon:

I have the stock 510 2dr seats bolted in. Managed to raise the back of the driver's seat so I can see properly. At the moment i'm working on getting some locks rekeyed so I can use one key on all the locks rather than having a bunch of diffrent keys. Early next week the wagon is going to get towed to my friend's shop to get a little work done. Mainly replacing all the fluids, possibly replacing wheel cylinders if they aren't working properly. Also going to have them bend some new trans cooler lines since the ones on this wagon looked to have cracked and been "fixed" in a ghetto fasion. :rolleyes:

I also replaced the valve cover gasket and put a very clean "Datsun 1600 OHC valve cover on it. I believe it really cleaned it up. I wanted to also replace intake/exhaust gasket but unfortunately coolant runs though the intake part of the head so unless I want to drain the radiator I can't replace it. If everything ends up working properly I'll be pulling the radiator out to get flushed (I bet it full of all kinds of crap) at that time i'll likely pull the manafolds off and replace a few more things.

Also eventually get a stereo. :rolleyes:

What do you want for the seats? Send me a PM if you get up this way.

no clue, open to offers.

Wagon progess:

Well today I went to have some locks rekeyed. I was trying to avoid having three diffrent keys but it appears that it is unavoidable at this moment. Went to get the locks done and it turned out all three locks were diffrent from each other. So the hatch will have a diffrent key from the ignition and the doors. The doors will also have a diffrent key from the ignition. Unfortunately that is just the way things go. I'll just have to make sure all the keys look diffrent. ;)

On monday i'm going to try and get an early start on the day so I can get the locks rekeyed and still have time to get my wagon towed to the shop for some work. If not it'll get towed on tuesday. Hopefully my friend gets though it pretty quick and doesn't take forever like he usually does. :rolleyes: