510 wagon project

Well since my 521 project was taking longer than expected I decided to work on a 510 wagon I had sitting for about a year. Kind of a long story on how I aquired it but its easier to say it has been bounced around a lot in the last two years. It has finally ended up in the hands of some one who cared about it.

So far I've basicly put the car back together (I started stripping parts off it) I managed to actually get it started I also tested the trans with out brakes. Last time i'll do that. :lol:

At the moment I'm waiting for a title but decided to start working on the car to get it ready for the road.

I have begun work on the brakes which needed a lot of attention. Also need to work on keeping the car running which I have another thread going on about it. I've also decided to throw on some quick paint. Nothing special but atleast get the wagon all one color. I'll be replacing the passenger side fender and both doors on the drivers side. So the paint is so everything matches up. :D

From there it'll just be registering the car and insurance. Then doing whatever else shows up and needs to be fixed or replaced.

Oh right, wheels and tires. ;)

Here is how it looked when I got it. It was some one's parts vehicle. They had said it will likely not see the road agian.

DSC08620.JPG

DSC08619.JPG

Heres after I started stripping some parts off it.

DSC08883.jpg

DSC08884.jpg

DSC08885.JPG

Heres today as I began painting it.

0720081642.jpg

Showing how ugly the paint it on the drivers side. Those doors are getting replaced. Rear door is covered in cracking bondo. :eek:

0720081643.jpg

0720081643a.jpg

0720081729a.jpg

0720081729b.jpg

0720081729c.jpg

0720081730a.jpg

Hopefully in the next couple days I can get the doors and begin to paint the other side. Also get the brakes working and get the car to stay on. Get some new rubber and from there it should be good to hit the streets.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another wagon saved! Plus it's green :D so that makes it kooler. Questions...hey is that a viynl top or just paint & what engine is in it now? Also looks like it has the original gas cap & from what ive been told are worth alot of $$$.

I don't know... it looks like it sticks out, looks kinda like an early toyota cap. Heres what the good cap should look like; meet01.jpg

Another wagon saved! Plus it's green :D so that makes it kooler. Questions...hey is that a viynl top or just paint & what engine is in it now? Also looks like it has the original gas cap & from what ive been told are worth alot of $$$.

Yes, It will be saved and with a fresh coat of "Tree Hugger Emerald" as I call it. Even though it is a work in progress my father still says to me every time he sees it "so you are actually going to drive this thing huh?" He doesn't hate on datsuns but he sees how it looks now and doesn't see it as drivable.

It has a stock L16 with an automatic. It even used to have AC (and you thought a L16 automatic car couldn't get any slower :rolleyes:). Took it out tho.

I had no idea the gas cap was worth anything. It is actually VERY ugly i'd gladly sell it as I will be replacing it with a locking cap anyways. That cap is just asking to have my gas stolen. Plus it looks like it doesn't belong on the car it just sticks out WAY too far.

OH, PS: Yes, it is a vinyl top.

I don't know... it looks like it sticks out, looks kinda like an early toyota cap. Heres what the good cap should look like;

That is entirely possible considering it had stock toyota wheels when I got it. Maybe some one was slowly trying to make it a toyota? I dunno what a wagon gas cap is supposed to look like anyways. This is the first wagon i've owned. I'm used to 2drs.

i like how the front sat when you first got it :lol: looks like a great project locking gas cap? on a datsun i cant find one for my 610 but you can for a 510 did i miss somthing lol

Who knows there may not be one but I figure they have a locking cap for everything these days.

The reason the car was sitting like that was because the strut had been sheered off the spindle. It was used as some one's parts car so they took the good strut and put the broken one back on this wagon (why they even bothered doing that I'll never know). If they hit something with their other wagon hard enough to tear the strut tube from the spindle I wouldn't have bothered fixing it. I'm sure the damaged strut would be the last of your worries :lol:

There are original locking gas caps for the wagons... and I don't mean the hideous plastic garbage found at the local parts store. See the pic I posted above of Pats (I think its pats...) orange wagon with the original cap, well the locking ones look just like it only there is a little flip up key hole cover, if you can't see the pic I posted up there just reload your browser... that seems to work for me.

There are original locking gas caps for the wagons... and I don't mean the hideous plastic garbage found at the local parts store. See the pic I posted above of Pats (I think its pats...) orange wagon with the original cap, well the locking ones look just like it only there is a little flip up key hole cover, if you can't see the pic I posted up there just reload your browser... that seems to work for me.

Locking gas cap only works on '68 wagons maybe late '69.

Filler neck is different

Or get the filler neck from that year.

nos025.jpg

Well some progress has been made today. Got some much needed parts from Steve (known as Mr.Nismo here). Traded some parts for a set of wagon doors and rear hatch. Also got a window regulator for my driver's door and some locking / control pieces for opening that rear hatch. Both pieces on my wagon have failed so it'll nice to make some repairs.

Drums should be back soon and now that I have a door to replace my passenger rear door (lots of cracking bondo) and a passenger fender comming soon. I should be able to finish up painting with those parts on.

I'll be able to title the vehicle next tuesday. From there the only other issue is idling and that should be fixed in soon. If it remains an issue (carb could be bad) I can always steal the webber off my 521 :D

Tires will be comming soon as well. Got some nice classic wheels that'll make a return to the street after a 3 year absence.

Also any one know a good source for rubber squeegee pieces that meet the window at the bottom for wagons. Mine have cracked and been destroyed.

Also any one know a good source for rubber squeegee pieces that meet the window at the bottom for wagons. Mine have cracked and been destroyed.

i read somewhere you can make them from ones off of the roll down back windows off of some suv's (suburban 4runner and such)

inner? toointenserestoration has them for about the best price(~$25/pr - goon= 2pr) seen em on bay too.

inner? toointenserestoration has them for about the best price(~$25/pr - goon= 2pr) seen em on bay too.

I'll check those out.

i read somewhere you can make them from ones off of the roll down back windows off of some suv's (suburban 4runner and such)

That is a great idea. I'm going to look in to that tomorrow. Wonder if it'll work right.

Alright, spent some time today doing some work on the wagon.

I replaced the old hatch lock with one off another hatch since the one on this wagon was broken. Although it works you have to push it very quick to open it or it won't open :rolleyes: Alteast I can open it from the outside now.

Cleaned the vent housings on the rear hatch since they fill with crud and reattached the plastic hoses that had come off.

Replaced the window regulator on the driver's door. Man what a bitch that was. First time i've done it took a little while to get it right but now the window will stay up on its own and doesn't need a wire to stay closed.

I also swapped the drivers side rear door with cleaner one, mostly because of the bondo cracks on the old one. Turns out the old door some piece of the window had actually come off. I'm sure would have eventually turned in to an issue. Painted the inside of the door to match the green of the car.

In the next couple days I'll finish painting the car and get the brakes working. From there its just putting the rest of the car back together, dealing with the idling issue, and buy some tires. :D

Hopefully tomorrow I can make just as much progress as today! :cool:

0729081619.jpg

After painting the inside of the door

0729081619a.jpg

Door installed

0729081620.jpg

ready for paint.

Also, I think i'm just going to buy some new Window Squeegees. Since the dumb wrecking yard is charging a lot for nothing.