Fisch's Suzuki Swift GTi

EDIT- 2/28/12- Motor mount issue on page 3! Advise?

Yup it is true. I bought an 89 Suzuki swift GTi.

I know it isn't a Datsun, but I just couldn't help my self y'all! And people do put SR throttle bodies and some nissan brake parts on them so there is minor crossover.

It barely has any rust, and if you've heard me bitch about N.E. winters, you will know how hard that is to find something like that. I actually looked for a GTi for a year about 5 years ago and couldn't find one.

It is fast, and got me 41 MPG the other day!!!

This is just a cool year round go cart of a car so the 521 can sleep the winters away in the garage.

Hard to believe an 89 is almost 20 years old now!!

This guy is about as stock as can be. Even down to those wheels I think. (Need to change that ASAP!)

So here is where I am at with it, it needs to pass safety inspection in MA and emissions. They will test it tomorrow. So far I know it will fail safety for 2 things.

1st- no hazards. The fuse is blown. I am hoping the fuse is the end of the story there, I will replace tomorrow and report back.

2nd- No horn. The factory shop manual seems to be pretty lame when it comes to the horn! I also read these horns just die after a while so it might be that?

On a 12 V horn, can I just use a jumper wire between the positive terminal of the battery, and touch it to the non ground wire on the horn itself to see if it is bad? I tried the horn w/ the hood up to see if I could hear a clicking sound from the relay, and i heard nothing. Does that mean I should look at the relay?

Other than that everything seems pretty swell on this little beast w/ 149k miles. It idles high when cold (common problem) and when warm it is so quiet you'd think it wasn't running, (and infact stalled out on me 3 times at lights today, Not a rough idle at all, and thankfully started back up in a snap)

The PO replaced the gearbox (Still doesn't like to go down to 2nd from third), the clutch, the struts, the muffler, the waterpump, Timing belt, all within 20k miles ago. So knock on wood, I am hoping it will be good to go for a while!!

For wheels I would love some old skool 15" Red Rota RB panasport looking units, but we will see. They sell them in 15x7 4X114.3 with a +30 offset. I am not sure about the bore though...

I even joined another forum... Teamswift.net it feels weird being anywhere but here. i so wish swifts were part of Ratsun (and were RWD)!

Enough jabber, here are some pics! Some good ole TR-3 cleaned it up nice! I know it isn't a Datto but if anyone can help me out with the above issues THANKS!!!

Swiftbeforeafter.jpg

swiftbodies.jpg

swiftinside.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a kool little car. I envy your gas mileage :D

Thanks Pac! Man I wish I could've found a Datsun that did what this did, and w/ the same performance MPG and price range. Alas, maybe a 1200 could've. But There was nothing like that around here!

And the swift has a beefed up suspension and disk brakes all around, stock.

And to be honest w/ myself. If I had a 1200 in this nice of shape, I wouldn't want to drive it in the winter, in salt land! And I needed something I would drive in the winter. I hear these things will kill in the snow with some snowtires.

And the Suzuki Swift is kinda the bastard child compaired to VW gti's and Crx's, and I like that about it. Sorta like out dattos.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Swiffers rock..

They are great commuters..(is what I use mine for)

They are pretty quick for what they are..

I have a 1.3 sohc now have had a couple of them ,I managed to get upwards to 60 mpg on an easy foot drive

510 wheels fit them ;)

great auto-xers too! They have been pretty dominant back in their day... as far as the horn if you just want it to pass safety, get some airhorns and wire up a horn button on the dash (if the stock horn button on the wheel doesn't work), then when you get around to fixing the stock button you got you some nice LOUD horns under the hood and those SUV drivers can't say they didn't se (or HEAR you), and BTW The body of the horn should receive ground just like all 1 wire horns.

Swiffers rock..

They are great commuters..(is what I use mine for)

They are pretty quick for what they are..

I have a 1.3 sohc now have had a couple of them ,I managed to get upwards to 60 mpg on an easy foot drive

510 wheels fit them ;)

Are you serious about the 510 wheels? Might have to get one if I can put some cool wheels on it. :thumbup:

Fisch your swift looks great after a cleaning. Those cars get really neglected, they just need a good cleaning every so often.

Fisch your swift looks great after a cleaning. Those cars get really neglected, they just need a good cleaning every so often.

Thanks guys, you make me feel good!

Are you sure about the 510 wheels? That'd be awesome. I know some late 80's nissan wheels will fit, so it would make sense!

These are 4X114.3 and the hub is 60.1 MM. I hear you shouldn't usually go wider than 6-7 inches and w/ a 40+ offset.

I got alot of learning to do on this thing. Just spent a good hour learning about throttle position sensors.

BTW it is a 2 wire horn. So does anyone know if I can jump it from the positive battery terminal to the non ground wire on the horn to see if it sounds?

A louder horn would be great. Even an ooooga would be swell!

Thanks guys, you make me feel good!

Are you sure about the 510 wheels? That'd be awesome. I know some late 80's nissan wheels will fit, so it would make sense!

These are 4X114.3 and the hub is 60.1 MM. I hear you shouldn't usually go wider than 6-7 inches and w/ a 40+ offset.

I got alot of learning to do on this thing. Just spent a good hour learning about throttle position sensors.

BTW it is a 2 wire horn. So does anyone know if I can jump it from the positive battery terminal to the non ground wire on the horn to see if it sounds?

A louder horn would be great. Even an ooooga would be swell!

with the 2 wire horn the polarity shouldn't matter, but the outside does not ground on most (MOST but not all).

Nice car dude!! I want to see under the hood :D that's where the real magic takes place :D

My buddy had a metro, it was so light he accidentally ran over my skate board and it didn't even break!!!

If Suzuki was still alive here.... We could of gotten something like this...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/2070122.005/all-new-nissan-pino-minicar-released-ja

Its not bad. For me it would of been better if it were a diesel with outrageous mpg!!!!

http://autospeed.com/cms/gallery/article.html?slideshow=0&a=2413&i=

Its not bad. For me it would of been better if it were a diesel with outrageous mpg!!!!

http://autospeed.com/cms/gallery/article.html?slideshow=0&a=2413&i=

I'd love that too! But I think this car is a great compromise between MPG and ZOOM! It gets much better mileage than the VW gti from the same year.

BTW if anyone is interested, 89 was the only year Suzuki got to call it a GTi in the states. Under fear of lawsuit from VW they shortened it to GT.

THanks for that big image of the engine! I will repost it here for those interested! Mine is a little newer with 4 disc, and different body style, but this gets the idea across well!

2413_7mg.jpg

Well guess what y'all, the Hazard and the horn were the same fuse! You'd think they would've mentioned this in the shop manual. So now my horn and my hazards are working! And I passed inspection and emissions, so I am a legal eagle!

It likes to grind just a tad downshifting to second, but up is fine. And I read on Redlinegti that 2nd is usually the first to go on a mk2 GTi. Too bad, seeing as i have a receipt that the PO replaced the whole gearbox with a rebuilt on 20k ago.

For now my solution is to not downshift into second, but to brake till I can get into first. I figure brakes are cheaper to replace than a gearbox!

Other than that it idles so low and smooth sometimes that it just shuts off. I've read that the TPS might be the answer. But it has only done that on one drive for me, and the idle isn't erratic and jumping all around like i've read w/ others, so i might wait and see on that one a bit.

So all in all this was a pretty smooth inspection compaired to my 521!!!

I want that engine to fit into my Datsun 1200! That suzi is one of the greatest small-bore engines ever... loves to rev.

That'd be freaking cool GG! And if you could somehow swap the brakes over too, that'd be slick! Wonder how hard it is to make a FWD into a RWD.

And on a side note, My post about the swift on Team Swift has had only like two responses... Look how many responses I've had here on Ratsun. And it isn't even a Datsun!

This place rocks!

Scott

I was thinking more of using the engine alone. But now you got me thinking.

This Datsun 1200 has Suzuki Swift brakes:

As far as the brakes go I used Holden Barina (Suzuki Swift) vented disc rotors which fit over the standard Datsun 4 stud pattern and I made up brackets to mount Mazda BFMR front calipers to suit.

365.jpg

It likes to grind just a tad downshifting to second, but up is fine. And I read on Redlinegti that 2nd is usually the first to go on a mk2 GTi. Too bad, seeing as i have a receipt that the PO replaced the whole gearbox with a rebuilt on 20k ago.

For now my solution is to not downshift into second, but to brake till I can get into first. I figure brakes are cheaper to replace than a gearbox!

My Protege does the same thing, but if I double clutch it like a big truck it downshifts fine.

I was thinking more of using the engine alone. But now you got me thinking.

This Datsun 1200 has Suzuki Swift brakes:

Nice! This gets even better! I wonder how close the swift motor mounts would be. I will tell you it is a small motor. Almost looks like one person could lift it out, but it must be heavier than that!

What's the weight on a 1200? The swift GTI mk2is 1775 pounds to 1850 pounds. Would the power to weight ratio be similar?

Man that Swift is overweight :-)

Datsun 1200 weighs only 1640 pounds. I can pick up the Datsun A12 engine by myself (but just barely). The Swift engine reportedly weighs less than an A14, but a few pounds more than A12.

As you can see we have discussed and thought about Swift engine swaps before.

14126.jpg

great choice for a winter car, I for one give you thumbs up for posting this car on this forum as sometimes we all need a break from datsuns, especially if you plan on keeping them for a long time you really don't want to thrash on them in the winter, not that I'm getting old or something but I rather keep the datsun for the real fun stuff not stop and go traffic and grocery shopping were A$%holes will ding your pride and joy.

If I remember the swift motor can be interchaged with the miata motors, 1.6 vs 1.8 miata or better yet drop in the 2.2L mazda/probe turbo motor and you will waste all comers.

Always loved those homologated rally cars for the street, I for one drive a galant vr4 turbo all year and have a greater appreciation for the datsun as the feel is different compared to a 2200lb datsun with 200hp vs a galant vr4 with 195hp at 3300lb its a pig but its a damn good sleeper since no one knows about these cars.

Silmilar cars to the swift are as followed:

Dodge Colt GT turbo/Mitsubishi Mirage turbo

Mazda 323 GTX rally special

but all above cars should bow down to the grandfather of a rally special the almighty all conquering, drum roll please:

Audi UR Quattro special, 5 cyl turbo awd hatch