1971 Datsun 521

Donedreamin

Took possesion of a 521 yesterday and i'm in love! An absolute blast to drive even with the l16
I bought my first Datsun last summer, a 77 280z and it didn't stop there.

The truck needs some TLC, the dreaded mystery bearing is going, brake caliper is slightly leaking,carb needs a good tuning and the exhaust needs to be fixed. But besides that she takes abuse well, no rust and handles better than my 1992 honda civic. 

I'm hoping to invest into a go-pro and post some video's before she goes under the knife.. I also write a blog at www.donedreamin.net if you want to find out a little more about me

280z

dsc_0176.jpg

dsc_0055.jpg

dsc_0060.jpg?w=640&h=425

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't mess with the exterior - it's already perfect.  We call that Arizona Red here (though your desert looks funny).  What's the inside like?

I've got a carrier bearing if you're desperate, replaced when swapped to L20/5 speed.

Can't figure our your Datsun sequence though.  Don't you need to buy a truck first to haul Z parts home?  :confused:

I can't get over how fun these trucks are to drive, not to boot i'm surprised by its powerband! 
The front hub cap was on there when i purchased it, i'll take some closer look and photos as i have no clue what there off of, but i do know it sticks out like a sore thumb :|

The inside is in "rough" shape, it definitely needs some tlc. 
The story was it was originally beige but the original owner did crop-dusting and used the truck as a marker point, well he couldn't see it so he spray bombed it orange. Its clearly aged now but i think it adds character.

And she's an excellent hauler, you can even see my propane heater if you look close enough

Thanks for all the kind words, last question, where can i get a TSRM?

I took her for a spin tonight and she was bogging out and huge loss of power, fuel filter has some rust chunks are the bottom of it. Unfortunately i'm going to comox bc for a couple awakes so i guess it goes to say i put her away wet. 

Should i purchase new king pins?

this was driving ok and now its Bad?

take photos of the motor and coil area.  coil hot.

Point adjusted correctly?

swap fuel filters. Might be too late already as carb might be rusted/dirt in idle jet.

buy Kingpins if you gonna keep the truck.

Lift truck up and see if the Kingpin is loose. King Oins are a MOFO to change and soembody needs to do it for you.(machine shop Procedure) M klotz has a write up on how to do them.  Mine was 250 to get swapped out and I gave the Kingpin set and spindals. then I reinstalled them back on truck.

I assume you have a electronic ignition since you have a MSD coil on there. But I cant tell as I wanted better photos. Firstof all if still running points you should have a stock coil with the ballast resisitor. However you could have a EI distributor on there As I see 2 wires.

Bettershots would help.  If you have a Electronic dist then its fine that set up you have.

Since there is snow and if warmed up  fast it could be condensation under the distributor cap.

the filter is questionable. but needs to be swapped out but like I said it could have dirt in the main jet and its blocking the fuel . But most time sthey will not idle also as it blocks the idle jet.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, finally got back into town today, fired her up and she still bogs under acceleration. 
To the point where it's barely driveable, i'm going to tackle it tomorrow but was hoping to get some advice from some of the guru's out there as this is my first experience with carb's and l16's. I'll start with the basics, and do my research but perhaps there's some quirks about this engine i should know about!

Thank you