1971 Datsun 521

Donedreamin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what i had, but i left my spares at home so i got stuck in a town 15 miles away, now i have a piece of piping that i can run straight to bypass filter (just in case)

They have cleanable filters too. I'm running one and I have a spare ready to swap if one gets clogged.

Sooooo jealous of your bumpers.

So i changed my fuel filter today and unfortunately it made no difference. 
When i pull the choke it revs up fine. 
When i disengage the choke, and apply any throttle it bogs right out!
I have been doing some research, and this site has been extremely useful, all the manuals in PDFs.
http://www.datsun510.com/manuals/

I want to believe it's the fuel pump, i'll start by diagnosing that than move onto the carb.  

FUEL PUMP? If you choke its its fine. Why then would it be the pump?

take the output end off point in a safe dircetion ans start the truck if lots of gas shoots out. I highly dough thats it. make sure the hose is not cracked before the fule pump(can suck air instead of gas making the pump look bad)

if you changed the filter after the dirt went thru its too late.

521 need the filter changed more often as the tank is exposed to the eliments and water can run down the filler tube in the wheelwell.

If carb is plugg the stock carb is a MOFO to take apart. I wont do it myself. I have a stack a Weber aDGVs to install and adapters/ You might not have this option.

Only other thing I can think of most like its could be the ignition/timming (was anything swapped by you?) hope not putting a GO FASTER coil in there. But if nothing was changed by you on that end then I still think carb ingestion.

got a timming light?

is this charging OK?

valve last set?

carb bolts and intake bolts tight?

I pulled the carb tonight, going to do a mild rebuild.
I have a timing light, alternator and battery are new, carb bolts and intake bolts are tight
I don't have a valve last set?

Anyways, she's down for maintenance but here's some pictures to hold over 

8720151207_d80af755a8_b.jpg

8720150393_ca660fced3_b.jpg

Is that across the street of some sort of UN building, or an IHOP?

My first inclination is a possible jetting issue by the way you describe it, but it's difficult to say without diagnosing it further. Shoulda checked the plugs to see if it was running rich, lean or getting a good mixture. It's like taking it's temperature and is usually the first thing you want to do. You don't want to just throw parts at it if you can help it, especially all at once. If it gets worse or better, it makes it difficult to figure out, not only what the original problem was, but also any possible subsiquesnt issues if any new problems arise.

By the by, are you running the stock Hitachi carb? Suckers are a bit of a bitch IMO, but if you're set on rebuilding it, the kits are pretty cheap.

I pulled the carb, cleaned the jets with carb cleaner and compressed air.. voila she runs like a champ!
Today was beautiful out, we have a clover leafs on ramp/off ramp heading out to the highway and i did about 5 laps, good tires, slightly lowered and everything else stock this thing was an absolute blast to drive. 

I'm prepping for a 6 hour drive, repaired the wheel bearing, and installed a temporary sound system and i'm after today's beating i'm confident she can take it. 

I also took some photos..

8741159589_2668ef124c_c.jpg

8741160251_9031542d93_c.jpg

(just surface rust)

8741161035_f368978ba9_z.jpg

8742278256_28544fef65_c.jpg

8741162513_60717889d2_c.jpg

dont need a manifold. unless you want sidedrafts.

but, for downdraft, yes adapter plate for the weber.  Or if you want to put a four barrel carb on an a 4cly L motor, you will need a different manifold.  (ive got one) kinda like this one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OFY-6262DP/

adapter plate for the 2 barrel weber...

IMG_15971.JPG

(stole this pic from one of qwik510's ads)

" />

and ofcourse a weber, usually a 32/36.

both easy to come by...

8751745291_4f95176d4a_b.jpg

8752867508_20460724f6_b.jpg

8752868050_63f93a3f78_b.jpg

8751744737_f1a76ab632_b.jpg

8751748015_a521b3a1b8_b.jpg

8751748447_35b8cd74da_b.jpg

8751747563_f1505b94d8_b.jpg

So, the last three photos. 

I was just wondering if there's an oem glovebox knob replacement?
What can i do temporarily to fill the cracks? black silicon or something?
And does anyone know where i can buy the felt like material used to guide the window?

Thanks, i was trying different things with the camera tonight, enjoy!