Will it make it?!

Ok so here's the story.

Buying my little brothers 72 510. 

It's located in San Diego, CA

I'm located in

Chicago, IL

With the possible L18 swap make the trip?

This is with the idea of NOT attempting the high altitude of the mountains (I've driven from Michigan to California and back)

Plan going the southern route so I can stay close to see level. A little longer but done it before.

My dad, years ago, bought his 510 from Fresno, CA. Drove it back to Michigan with three of us kids with him. Good thing I was a kid or else I would have had nightmares.

Either does anyone else have an experience of a long trip or considerations of improving my chances of making the trip?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

change all the fluids, transmission, rearend, a/f, oil. Bring an extra water pump just in case.

And don't be afraid of the mtns!. I took my '73 240z to long beach and back with no problems. I even took it out on the track at willow springs.

Not sure....but if you are buying from your brother, then he should have a fairly good idea if it will make it or the condition...bring someone with you.  How's the compression? make sure the car has a cig. ligther to charge your cell phone.  Good luck...

I bought a 1971 Goon, sight unseen in Irvine, CA & drove to Denver, CO. I'm not gonna lie, going through the mountains was super tough—carb was starved! Took a shizz-ton of tools coulda used them, but just had a buddy tow me 13 miles to my house. Not bad for a 14 hour trip. Just be prepared to break,,, you might not, but expect it.

jack up car and check suspension, check fan belt, hoses, tires, bring tools, fluids, several flashlights/batteries, jack/jack stands, coolant/water, get phone numbers of people you know along the way, duct tape, blankets, in case you get stuck you won't freeze, good luck....

I bought a 1971 Goon, sight unseen in Irvine, CA & drove to Denver, CO. I'm not gonna lie, going through the mountains was super tough—carb was starved! Took a shizz-ton of tools coulda used them, but just had a buddy tow me 13 miles to my house. Not bad for a 14 hour trip. Just be prepared to break,,, you might not, but expect it.

carb would have been flooding out at high altitude. 

Okay, on a more serious note.  Something nobody has mentioned yet: fuel filter.  Buy an extra one, or better yet buy an extra one PLUS a serviceable filter to install inline just before the paper filter.  Nothing like stirring up the chunks in an old fuel tank.  I had to change my filter twice and then finally installed the serviceable pre-filter filter on my 900 mile drive from Portland to Santa Barbara.  Not a big deal, but it was raining and getting close to dark...

Okay, on a more serious note.  Something nobody has mentioned yet: fuel filter.  Buy an extra one, or better yet buy an extra one PLUS a serviceable filter to install inline just before the paper filter.  Nothing like stirring up the chunks in an old fuel tank.  I had to change my filter twice and then finally installed the serviceable pre-filter filter on my 900 mile drive from Portland to Santa Barbara.  Not a big deal, but it was raining and getting close to dark...

lol.  Man, that thing kept clogging up on me and that's why I sold it. To many times left in the rain/dark cleaning the filters and carb out on the side of the road.  You have had much better luck with it.

I didn't see anything mentioned here of how long it's been sitting. If it's been driven daily or weekly, why wouldn't it make the trip? But if it's been sitting, or has a bunch of issues, then no I wouldn't drive it back. It's what, 2000 miles, 2500 if you take the unnecessarily long route? I do that every month.

Said something about a possible L18 swap? I wouldn't do a trip with a fresh swap, I'd want at least an oil change's worth of miles locally making sure the engine was OK.

I agree with datsunaholic. I wouldn't drive a fresh swap 2000+ miles. Hell, 500+ would be pushing it because a lot of shops do crappy jobs so people will bring the car back for more work.

If the engine is broken in (2000+ miles since the swap) and the car has been driven regularly, bring tools and filters and go for it. Might want to bring a spare alternator, especially if it has a reman POS. That is a long trip so be as prepared as possible.

it might also be a good idea to get AAA premiere membership for $119 you can have 500 miles of free towing anywhere, free emergency fuel  and delivery, one day free car rental, automotive repair hotline(lol), roadtrip intterumption and delay coverate(?). if you have somebody coming with you, you can add them for $74 which will add another 500 mile free towing 

• Like 1

well it hasn't been sitting a while. Brother drives it every now and again. Trying to not put too much mileage on it.

Thanks for all the intel too. Going to take it very cautiously.

I did think about getting it shipped to me but quoted it, and the cost could be about 800+.

I rather spend 200 on a plan ticket and 300-400 on gas. But we will see. Told my brother to break it in more and check everything before i make a final decision.

if you are going to drive it, your brother better check out the car thoroughly.  As mentioned by Hainz, these cars are like 40 years old.  Anthing canhappen.  My DD is a good runner but the farthest I drove it was like 180 miles back and forth.  On my way back, the car started sputtering.  Had a feeling it was the coil, luckily when I exited to Pleasanton/Dublin area found an auto parts store and they were able to ohm it out.  Yep..it was the coil. I was with the wifey and son.  Kindy nervous cuz it was getting dark and family was with me.

Then again there is the adventure but do bring someone with you.  So what does your brother say about driving it back...this is his car he should have an idea if it will make it.  Also when did he do the L18 swap?

He has yet to put the swap in which is what i'm concerned about. Maybe as I wait for the swap, I'll start saving up cash on the side for the delivery.

The adventure would be sweet but can turn sour the second trouble emerges.

If only he finished that KA24 swap. Should have asked him what he needed to finish it.

Either way I'm pretty excited for this summer only car while project car during the off season.