California DMV is a MOFO...I need smog equip!

Ok im a dummy, i purchased my 1978 Datsun 620 truck, Zumi, from up in Oregon. I saw him and I got so excited, forgot about all the smog crap I have to deal with.

now here I am, a month later, DMV lady brought me back to reality and all the crap I have to do to get it registered...long story short, I need all the smog equipment back! Please help if you have any part of it.

Thanks!

Bonghit

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a '78 you'll need parts that are pretty specific to that year, though some parts are the same year to year.

It really depends on what's missing.  It parts were removed and capped off, great.  If parts were CUT off, you'll have a lot of fun trying to reattach those.

The intake and exhaust manifolds and their associated parts interchange for 1978-80 L20Bs, but no other years.  The hoses and various valves that attach to the air cleaner are 1978 specific though you'd probably be OK with 79-80 parts.

The smog pump itself and the associated brackets should work form any 75-80 truck.

Ok im a dummy, i purchased my 1978 Datsun 620 truck, Zumi, from up in Oregon. I saw him and I got so excited, forgot about all the smog crap I have to deal with.

now here I am, a month later, DMV lady brought me back to reality and all the crap I have to do to get it registered...long story short, I need all the smog equipment back! Please help if you have any part of it.

Thanks!

Bonghit

Take a look at the service manual.  There is a 1977 one here, should be pretty similar to the '78. I know the cars after '76 required a cat, not sure on the trucks.

http://www.datsun510.com/manuals/Service_Manual_Datsun_Pick-Up_1977.pdf

Yeah,that sucks. Glad I don't live in CA.Here in NC my 80 gets a very mild safety inspection. And once it reaches 35 years old, NO INSPECTION!

funny a mild safety inspection for cars under 35 years old

but after 35 years the car must be plenty safe so no more inspections  

this is,what you need to do find a early model truck ,buy it cheap and put the vin tag in it as a early model 620 .on one will know  shush :thumbup:

You know we would never condone such shenanigans here, especially as the DMV checks two vins when you register, such as those on the cab.

I believe since the 620 does not have a dash vin tag they check the door tag which is held on with rivets, and the vin number stamped into the firewall. They usually do not check the frame as those get swapped occasionally.

Of course should you pickup a titled truck with a good cab from a '75 or newer and swap the frame/bed ect... over that would be totally legit. Even if that cab needed lots of holes filled in the rusty firewall and other bits welded on. Of course like everything in life neatness counts and you should always strive for an OEM look when welding and filling rusty holes . ;)

California is such bullshit. For the hassle I would just register it as a non op, and go in every 30 days for a temporary permit. Did that on my 73 Datsun when I lived down there. Didn't have wipers, seat belts, seats were coat hanger fastened down... ect ect ect. Was too broke to fix it all but loved driving my 510!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.