What year is my truck? Conflicting data.

I've been curious for a long time. 

The underhood tag on the firewall lists 1975, but I believe that was for emissions standards? It's long gone, so I can't go back and look again. 

It's titled as a 1976, but I just got all of the original registration from the previous owner today (Hitch) and it was sold as a 1975 via the warranty booklet, but the owners manual is for a 1976 and all of the information in the owners manual says 1976. The vins in BOTH booklets match, but the years are off.  :geek:

I also have paperwork from Titlemax from 2006 stating it was titled as a 1976 'Datson.'

IMAG0196_zps127dbe3b.jpg

IMAG0198_zps19c9e797.jpg

IMAG0193_zpseb93315f.jpg

IMAG0197_zpsa45f3e78.jpg

IMAG0199_zps79b10a43.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say built in '75 and first sold/registered in '76. 

The sale data above says 'date of delivery' = 1975, I'd assume that's when the owner picked it up? Or maybe that's when it was brought to the dealer, so why don't they have the date of sale if that's the case? 

75 1/2 makes it sound like a significant change in styling/chassis. Like 72 521 and 72 1/2 620...

Forgive me for being nieve, but what would it matter?

It does say MY 1975 in original paprs, but things weren't as stringent back then. Built75, but should've been sold as 76... later corrected. Seems like it was a typo...

75 and 76 model years are easy to distinguish.  '75s have side pillar vents.  76 and later do not.  There are also numerous interior and wiring differences.  75s did not come with retracting seatbelts or a seat belt warning buzzer or light in the dash pod- the only thing in the pod on a 75 is the egr light.

74s are even easier- as long as you have the original engine room plate.

I'm more curious then anything. I like to call my truck what it is. Call me crazy, but it bothers me that there's even a shred of a doubt.

The DATSON is on the titlemax paperwork from mid 2000's, not the title ;) Thank GOD. 

75 and 76 model years are easy to distinguish.  '75s have side pillar vents.  76 and later do not.  There are also numerous interior and wiring differences.  75s did not come with retracting seatbelts or a seat belt warning buzzer or light in the dash pod- the only thing in the pod on a 75 is the egr light.

74s are even easier- as long as you have the original engine room plate.

Sounds like mines a 75 then, because I do have an EGR pod on the dash, no self-retracting belts, or belt buzzer. 

When production starts on a new model year the pollution standards for the new year are often not yet established.  In that case, it is both legitimate and required to test and certify the vehicle to the prior year's standards.  My J30t is one of these cars.  It is a very early  three digit VIN 1997 model but tested, certified and tagged for follow-on California etc, testing to 1996 standards.

The titlemax paperwork is iffy at best. It already has one clear screwup, so having the year wrong too doesn't come as much of a surprise.  The original paperwork clearly shows as a '75, as all the dates, including the date sold, were months before the 1976 model year PRODUCTION even started.  However, when it changed States (from TN to GA, or anywhere in between), someone could have fat-fingered it just like they misspelled "Datson" on the titlemax paperwork.  Plus being in Georgia which is a "no title over 25 years old" State.

It's clearly a '75, but if you're really worried just make sure the Chassis numbers all match- particularly the one on the frame.