510 new comer

Well, at the suggustions of a local i am supposed to start a "build" thread. It wont be a build as much as a make it work. There's a leaking fuel tank, it melts the coil for some weird reason, and it needs a lot of tlc to many other things.So, my name is Nate, ive been a datsun lover since i was young ang i finally got one. Im not a mechanic by any means, but i didnt think that was a reason for not getting one. So, i bought a 1972 datsun 510 2-door. I doesnt run, there's some rust, but not too bad. The way it sits is the way i got it (besides the paint). All im gana do is try and make it run, then drive the hell out of it.

towing it home...

myd_zps0a51fff0.jpg

i will get more soon, this is just a start

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent score there Nate.  I wasn't much of a mechanic when I got my Datsun (hell, I still ain't), but there is a wealth of information and a bit of smartassery, or is that the other way around, on this site along with folks that are willing to share their knowledge.  Welcome aboard.

edit: oh yeah, I'd drive the hell out of that ride too

I promised more pics so here are a few of it so far. Im waiting for a fuel filler neck in the mail. the old one was all rotted out. i welded up the fuel tank so it's working again.

I had to make the car all one color. I couldn't stand the multi color job on it. right before that i welded up all the trim holes in it and some other really bad spots on the rocker. there's more body work to be done but that will have to come in time. that was another purpose of the bombcan. easy touch up

datsun0068_zps995f2a94.jpg

It came with fiber glass fenders already on it. They were loose because the bolts were only half in and rusted in place so i have still have some tapping to do to get them all the way on

datsun0067_zps0a1bb022.jpg

Back seat is still in pretty good shape. there was a roll cage in it but i took it out so i could get a car seat in it. I sold it to a guy around here. I cant remember his name, nice guy though. I think he got a great deal on it though.

datsun0065_zps4b643647.jpg

Engine bay is clean. Random wires are everywhere not connected to anything, so im thinking that is part my runability problem. Battery was already located to the trunk, so i guess i will leave it there.

datsun0066_zpse090d5b5.jpg

No front seats. Just a little surface rust on the floor. the pan is amazing condition underneath. it's still the original paint color. All interior seems to work even the annoying fasten seat belt light and buzzer  which i thought was pretty cool.

datsun0063_zps4e539e90.jpg

datsun0064_zpsc261002c.jpg

Swapped the old rusted steel wheels for some american racing wheels i picked up. The tires were all rotten and not holding air so the new tires i had on my brat before it quit working on me got put on. robbing peter to pay paul. it's ok cuz the datsun is way cooler.

datsun0062_zps8dc8d3fb.jpg

That's all i have so far, but its a project car so i will keep pluggin away. It'll only get better with time.

Good idea pulling the roll-bar, probably over a hundred pounds of dead weight, good way to make some money and free up some horsepower at the same time. Moving the battery back may help out with any grounding issues you might have unless the leads are in good order. Looks ready for the Thunder Dome. Maybe we will see you a February's South end meet.

Watch out, this site can be bad for your health and sleep habits.

Good idea pulling the roll-bar, probably over a hundred pounds of dead weight, good way to make some money and free up some horsepower at the same time. Moving the battery back may help out with any grounding issues you might have unless the leads are in good order. Looks ready for the Thunder Dome. Maybe we will see you a February's South end meet.

Watch out, this site can be bad for your health and sleep habits.

I have noticed that this website can be very addicting. I've almost spent more time on here than on the car. Once it's going I hope to hit up some meets. That's another thing ive never done before that I thought would be fun

I would put the battery up front to get it running.

Be honest everything looks like it there and should be able to start pretty EZ.

Dont be a typical dumb as kid and swap shit rite away. like the ignition coil. get it running first. This is a point ignition and needs point coils and ballast.

Onece get spark see if you get gas in carb. ck the timming ck the rocker arm lash and the thing should start.

If not watch this

Some Bushmen in Africa seen my vedio and got a Datsun truck running they found in the desert

http://vimeo.com/19077890