Meet Violet my 710 Vg 30

710Hippy

Hello i have had a few posts and have promised oics well i finally accumulated all my Datsun oics and am currently trying to get them all to photobucket atm i will start by giving you some background i owned a 75 710 (donna) original 227 orange rough when i found her i will post her story in a different post but "death of a 710" here on ratsun kinda gives you the end story of donna and the beginng of Violet. Any who i wanted to drive her so bad that a 2 gallon gas tank was bungied in the engine compartment and down the street i went hahaha also rough so i messed with the L-18 for a bit and got a header from Moedatto and ran it straight header for fun but i soon parked it in the garage and started my plans for this beast and yes it has been a slow process between medical problems work and life but progress is being made the plan was to put a VG30 in it i was going to do this to donna but she ended up my daily so never got around to it so half off day at the junkyard came around and after measuring many times and visually mocking up i decided i was going to put the DOHC VG30 out of an infinity J30 so Moedatto and i pulled the motor out swooped up the wiring harness and had fun ripping this car apart then we pulled a VG30 sohc with a 5speed out of a 300zx for his 620  well i paid for the tranny and ended up getting a ruined tranny but i guess thats what you get for being beat tired after pulling two motors at the ecology we didnt check the trans oh well  live and learn lol and the project begins my brother pulled the stock L-18 while we were at the junkyard and prepped the engine compartment so i could start the mocking process when we got back with engines in hand i put mine on the crane and set it in knowing cutom everything is going to be needed in this build but i had to see if it fit and wow talk about tight fitting but its going to work out wonderfully then progress stopped for along time when datsun 160J SSS was willing to trade me some much needed things best of all i got a brand new dash cap crack free YESSS!!!!! and some minor progress was made then another hault Ran out of money :crying: but work picked up recently but i have been stuck i skipped some of the story the part where i was gunna run dry sump and fashioned up some i guess motor mounts and they were a fail for sure hahaha and thats where i got stuck months went by and nothing the mounts stumped me until my little brother (the one who pulled the L-18) pretty much forced me to go out and with his help build the correct mounts (i guess i was being lazy) needed motivation so Moedatto and i made another trip to the local junkyard to where i picked up the needed accessories to put coil overs on the front datzen mike was kind enough to shed light on the shaft collars and procedures ordered parts recieved parts ran out of money for what i wanted now have to wait for the next paycheck to finish the suspension but in the mean time today i was able to for the first time mount the motor properly to plan my next move but once again a slow process now due to weather the AV has been seeing single digits in this brutal winter but there is progress and i can always count on ratsun for motivation and ideas now if i can only manage to get on here more :blush: and i promise oics are coming photobuckets at 74%

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking the junkyard motor   stand_zpsf067b2b8.jpg

Most comfortable shift knob yes its a skatboard wheel   shift4_zps9f160875.jpg

Trans tunnel cut for the bigger trans  shift3_zpsc0ff05d1.jpg

yes i know it looks like it wont work but the trans has no internals so the shifter just kinda flops around  shift1_zpsa1b250b7.jpg

found these diamonds in the rough at the junkyard   rims_zpsd6caf26f.jpg

DOHC beast  cl2_zps2957d893.jpg

taking apart to go moar low   IMG_0483_zps2dbf17c0.jpg

ready to go   IMG_0481_zps2ab5246b.jpg

fresh coat of primer  IMG_0515_zps7499a579.jpg

fresh paint i do have plans for all my color choices in this project  IMG_0516_zps3a02bf1e.jpg

almost ready waiting on my camber plates and adjustable strut inserts IMG_0523_zps96951217.jpg

yes i know the will get dirty its for the first look kinda thing  IMG_0527_zps2dd10708.jpg

rca's lowering blocks and many more goodies IMG_0529_zps103550ab.jpg

talk to me about the oil pan clearance 

LOL YEAH!!!...... About that.... its a work in progress if i can i will post Oics of my clearance issues the brake booster is in my way and possibly the stearing box i might have to go r&p if i had 500$ to take a gamble on im like 60% sure vg30.com's http://vg30.com/images/oilpanbottom.jpg will work but i have a buddy who is a great fabricator and im eh alright but im pretty sure i/we can build the right one to fit in the car. gotta figure out what i could use for r&p and as far as the brake booster master cylinder ect clearance issues wilwood has a pedal assembly for break and clutch to mount it all on the inside so that seems to be the plan for now   

possible clearance issues

first off the steering box might be a little close to the last cylinder exhaust port DF1775D0-6EB8-4362-A577-3F71346BD466-149

brake booster is like an inch too close to the valve cover couldnt install it C25995FA-0815-48E5-8CE3-615F29FC3FD0-149

height wise i have plenty of space for the oil pan6B53033F-C177-469E-A738-1B6A03072830-149

its getting it to fit in between the cross member and the steering (sorry for the bad pic best i can do atm) 269D1299-A542-4D3E-B92C-A47875B95FDE-149

yeah i figured you would have oil pan issues im still considering the single cam swap and i talked to the guys at vg30.com they said there stuff should work but im not sure myself

yeah and i dont want to blow the money if im not positive

I'm in the process off putting a j30 vg30de in my 620. I have even less room than you for the brake booster, so I came up with the idea of running a clutch master cylinder to a Harley rear brake cylinder and using that to remotely actuate the vacuum booster. I figure that way I can put the brake booster where ever I can find room (probably in the bed.)