alum wheel cleaning advice

So ive got these sick command 800s, but they have some corrosion. and I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best way to remove it. So far ive been told steel wool and elbow grease, but I dont want to scratch the sh#t out of them. The z should be back on the road in the next two weeks or so and id like to have them cleaned up throw tires on em and enjoy the car before I take her off the road again to stril her down and go through everything

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if they'll scratch with steel wool, they'll also polish pretty easy, i would think.... have you considered a metal polishing compound?

also - probably not helpful, but I use "magic erasers" on old paint and it cleans up pretty nice.. don't over-do it though (try a small part on an unseen part of the rim, like the backside)

Yeah I started using some mothers mag alum polish and stopped cause it didnt do anything to help with the corrosion ill try steelwool on the back and if I dont mind how it comes out ill do it. If not ill go search for a remover im kinda tight on cash at the moment so hopefully the wool works out

You need like 0000 steel wool, that shouldnt scratch as much. If your polishing them after you can use a bunch of stuff. If keeping the finish as is your options for removing the oxidation but not mismatching the area are slim to none. 

Keep in mind you have to seal the wheels after because once the layer of oxidation is removed it allows the process to happen all over again. 

I mean deep. If its just light but wide spread a cleaner should be fine. If your going to polish them after you have a lot of options. Since thats going to remove/hide scratches and imperfections. 

Pics would help, but if they are/were clear coated you may have some funk growing between the aluminum and the clear coat. Would be best to strip off completely and reapply after addressing the trouble areas.

If it looks like a trail or spider web look into this, Filiform corrosion

img5521xor.jpg

54302d1237643368-alloy-wheel-corrosion-p

That is under the clear coat. Only save is to strip the clear coat and polish. If you are not really in love with them it may not be worth the trouble and cost. Cheapest fix is to live with it until you can't stand it and them glass bead them.

I use super clean and a toilet brush, then 1k grit wet/dry sand paper, then 2k grit paper and then polish or never dull. Lots of elbow grease. Also have used alumibrite too.

Yup. Lots of elbow grease. I probably sunk 20 hours into de-oxidizing my Appliance wheels. That and a whole bag of shop rags.