KA swap questions..

AWSpoofwil

So I am once again seriously considering a (preferably dual cam) KA swap, but I have some questions and concerns.. HELP!

1, If I use the stock KA tranny, how hard is it to make tranny mounts?

2, can I use my stock 620 driveline for the KA tranny? Is there modification needed to be done?

3, where can I buy the engine mounts?

4, any other concerns that I should have in terms of mounting and hooking up?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Open up, here comes the spoon....

Since you like short cuts, get a Z series (71B) 5 speed from a 2wd 720 or S110. Be sure it is 31.5" long and it will fit your 620 tranny mount and also bolt to the KA E or DE motor. You can use the KA (71C) transmission but the driveshaft will need shortening and the mount modified.

2, can I use my stock 620 driveline for the KA tranny? Is there modification needed to be done?

See above

There were no KA 620s so no mounts for them. You will have to use the engine brackets that come with the KA block and mount to the 620 rubber isolators.

WOW too general a question and might take several pages to answer. Let me ask one,... is this a KA24E or KA24DE motor and from a D21 or S13/14?

Oh, hi jeff.

• Like 1
Open up, here comes the spoon....

Since you like short cuts, get a Z series (71B) 5 speed from a 2wd 720 or S110. Be sure it is 31.5" long and it will fit your 620 tranny mount and also bolt to the KA E or DE motor. You can use the KA (71C) transmission but the driveshaft will need shortening and the mount modified.

See above

There were no KA 620s so no mounts for them. You will have to use the engine brackets that come with the KA block and mount to the 620 rubber isolators.

WOW too general a question and might take several pages to answer. Let me ask one,... is this a KA24E or KA24DE motor and from a D21 or S13/14?

Oh, hi jeff.

well it will probably be from a s13/s14.. and thank you! 

You can get mounts from me. The link is in my sig. Everything you need to read before doing the swap is in that link and in my build thread, also in my sig. Icehouses thread is super helpful and linked in my motor mount thread. 

So I am once again seriously considering a (preferably dual cam) KA swap, but I have some questions and concerns.. HELP!

Use a NAPZ trans and no modifications are needed

See answer to #1

I offer swap brackets. See my sig.

Electrical, fuel pressure & nickle n dime shit.

As I ere all to use the ka 5 speed you need to shorten the kc truck driveline 3.5 inches and slot the trans x member and remove the shrouding on the output of transmission.

My question is about the gear ratios of the 720 5 speed and the ka 5 speed. Pretty sure the ka tranny is stronger tho.

The 71C is about twice as strong as the 71B 5 speed. Better larger bearings, wider stronger gears, better synchros (specially 2nd) good for about 300 HP. The 720 5 speed is fine too.

well it will probably be from a s13/s14.. and thank you! 

These are a lot heavier than the truck blocks. They also have a front sump oil pan that won't work in a truck. You can't swap a truck pan onto it easily as the car KA's had a crank girdle in the way. Custom oil pan.

• Like 1
The 71C is about twice as strong as the 71B 5 speed. Better larger bearings, wider stronger gears, better synchros (specially 2nd) good for about 300 HP. The 720 5 speed is fine too.

These are a lot heavier than the truck blocks. They also have a front sump oil pan that won't work in a truck. You can't swap a truck pan onto it easily as the car KA's had a crank girdle in the way. Custom oil pan.

So if I was to get a KA from a s13/s14 I'd need to make a custom oil pan? How difficult is that?
  • 1 month later...

If its a daily like mine and you want done real fast youre gonna end up spend a whole lot of money for the motor, tranny, mounts, fuse box/ switches, electric fan, probably want an aluminum rad and so on..... Something to really think about. I've thought many times but its not practical being in high school with no money its kinda hard to spend around a $1000