A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah... mine's 48 7/8" or 124mm and I don't think it matters, mine's a goon d/s

Yeah, but 710s might be a little different. but I read somewhere in my FSM and the wheelbases are a little different between sedans and goons by like a few inches so I just put that on there.

Interesting.... Would someone... Don't want to mention any names! But would someone be willing to swing by and let me take a look that automatic A10 driveline? I'm fairly certain it would fit. Being that this is Ratsun, and I'm a poor sombitch, i'd like to take a gander at option before I buy! 

If anyone is interested, I'd have a case a beer for you waiting!

Unfortunately I think all my spare A10 drivelines (including the Automatic one) are in storage.  80 miles north.  In Monroe.   I really should have marked them- I have A10 manual, automatic (and a mix of body styles for the manual ones- the automatic one came out of a Coupe), 520, and 620 (those are easy to ID) all in a big pile.  Probably around a dozen driveshafts.  Most with bad U-joints, as I habitually bought replacements in junkyards and never returned the cores.  Some are ruined- had one break a U-joint and destroy the yoke even though it didn't actually fall off.  And a lot of the A10 ones are the swedged-in "non replaceable" type.

• Like 1

What I'm trying to avoid is paying come chump 300 bones to make me a driveline here in Tacoma when it 'might' be possible to use an existing datsun driveline. 

eitherway, what it really comes down to is that I'm getting damned anxious just to drive the ol' bucket! I've owned it since early August of '13 and have only put roughly 100mi on it. I got my panties in a bunch and decided to fix what wasn't broken and throw a KA in there. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I almost wish I would have kept the ol' L20.

Yes I do mean the A10 or the HLA10. Some call it the 510 but this confuses the issue as they may not know there was an earlier 510 and really it's a 510 in name only and is really a Stanza? The original 510 is a PL510 (P=L16) so I say HL510 (H=L20B/Z20S) Most owners who know their shit call it an A10 not a 510. As this title above shows A10s UNITE.

Calling it a 510 is the least correct. HL510 is only slightly better but it differentiates from the original 510.  HLA10 is better again and A10 the most correct.

• Like 1

Interesting.... Would someone... Don't want to mention any names! But would someone be willing to swing by and let me take a look that automatic A10 driveline? I'm fairly certain it would fit. Being that this is Ratsun, and I'm a poor sombitch, i'd like to take a gander at option before I buy! 

If anyone is interested, I'd have a case a beer for you waiting!

The short one is on my car and you'd have to crawl under it. But don't you have to get a the driveline shortened anyway because of the KA trannys length?

But to get one shortened its only like $180

What I'm trying to avoid is paying come chump 300 bones to make me a driveline here in Tacoma when it 'might' be possible to use an existing datsun driveline. 

eitherway, what it really comes down to is that I'm getting damned anxious just to drive the ol' bucket! I've owned it since early August of '13 and have only put roughly 100mi on it. I got my panties in a bunch and decided to fix what wasn't broken and throw a KA in there. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I almost wish I would have kept the ol' L20.

Pretty sure the KA 5 speed will not be the same length of an A10 automatic d/shaft. If you had a long 71B 5 speed from a Z series vehicle it would.

Measure the length of the KA 5 speed you plan to use. If from an S13/14 it will definitely be longer.

I think he has a '79 which would still have an L20B motor. I suppose he could get an '80-'81 4 speed but the KA would chew it up sooner.... or later.

I see he has an S110 listed as owned. If a standard, this 5 speed would fit the KA (and be stronger) and all you would need is an automatic drive shaft.

Yea our cars have/had the l20b until like 1980 or 81.so The A10s with the squared headlights have the z20, at least that's what I think. I can put my car on the lift at my work and measure whatever you need. Or I can make a trip out there if need be but it's probably a ways from me

Canada had the L20B in the '80 model year but in the States it was changed to the Z20S motor. The square headlights came out in July '79 or the beginning of the '80 model year.

I think I said earlier that it was half way through the model year for the change to rectangle lamps but it wasn't. (I was thinking of the 210)

Yes I do mean the A10 or the HLA10. Some call it the 510 but this confuses the issue as they may not know there was an earlier 510 and really it's a 510 in name only and is really a Stanza? The original 510 is a PL510 (P=L16) so I say HL510 (H=L20B/Z20S) Most owners who know their shit call it an A10 not a 510. As this title above shows A10s UNITE.

Calling it a 510 is the least correct. HL510 is only slightly better but it differentiates from the original 510.  HLA10 is better again and A10 the most correct.

It's so funny when I talk to other Datsun guys and say "Oh yeah, my A10 this... My A10 that..." I can see the wonder in their eye. The brain is rushing to find just wtf an A10 is. I think it's funny. When I call it a 510 people ooohhh and aahhh thinking ive got a PL510 KA swap. Lolnope. I've got that ugly, disproportionate forgotten step-sister, the A10.

Yup, it's for the best that you keep and use the much stronger 71C trans that comes with the KA.

I know, but I'm getting so damned antsy! I want to drive the thing!! But, when it comes down to it, I know if I do the right thing the first time it will be much more enjoyable. But, until then... I guess you guys gotta deal with my bitching and complaining! :angel:

• Like 1