A10's U-nite !!!!

When I call it a 510 people ooohhh and aahhh thinking ive got a PL510 KA swap. Lolnope. I've got that ugly, disproportionate forgotten step-sister, the A10.

No way. I find it appealing in looks. Kind of leaning forward ready to charge.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't shorten the driveshaft when a stock one fits.

That's the thing. I don't think a stock one will fit. 

In the pic the Fat510 provided, it seems like it might work if I use an A10's auto driveline. 

I mock up my A10 manual driveline and it appears to be 4"-6" too long. Haven't really looked too hard.

Keep in mind not a lot of people have A10 ... nor do many folks swap in KAs into them. I feel like I'm almost pioneering this swap... albeit state side, that is. Aussies have been doing SR20 and CA18 since the dawn of time, which is physically the same, wiring is different, of course. But those Aussie datsun forums are dead and I cant find a "cookie-cutter" guide to follow.

• Like 1

No way. I find it appealing in looks. Kind of leaning forward ready to charge.

Aww! Jeeze.  :blush: I feel the same. (I just don't admit it!)

I can't wait for the day It's slammed and has some bad ass wheels!! 

Took me a while to find the right thread. But im glad i did because A10's are the shit!

My 1979 510. automagic,lowered on cutsprings. l20b runs awesome,

1499494_10151882265427919_1453980526_n.j

I really liked this pic Connerd gave us of his A10. I haven't ever seen an HLA10 lowered before. I must say I do like! It needs more low if you ask me, though.

There are 71B transmissions which fit KA that are the same length as A10 transmission. Plenty strong.

And those would be...?

Also, on the topics of A10's .. imagine that.. Who's got some ZX struts for sale?? might be a stupid question, but what do S110 200sx struts and ZX struts share? s110 200sx struts good alternative for lowering my a10?

• Like 1

I really liked this pic Connerd gave us of his A10. I haven't ever seen an HLA10 lowered before. I must say I do like! It needs more low if you ask me, though.

Thanks man I appreciate that. Lowering the rear is super easy with a lift. The fronts I did on the ground in the shitty weather and was really not fun but got it done with help from the guys at my work. It honestly steers alot better and rides ok. I agree that it needs more low. I want wheels first though. Gotta get me some old wheels.

You cut the front shocks while on the ground? Ballsy.

Haha I actually jacked it up a foot pulled the whole strut assembly off, then pulled the spring off the strut and cut about 1 and half coil.

I also wonder if zx/200sx struts will work and if they will improve the ride

Stock automatic drive shaft you say?

Sitting here next to the hood mhub asked for months ago. 

oh damn. I had forgotten about that hood, to be honest.

any chance you're coming to the seattle area?  :blush:

Just lower your car. You don't need to swap struts to do that. You don't need to cut the springs either. You can lower the A10 spring perch. Fit stiffer 280ZX rear springs if you want a stiffer front suspension.

S110 struts I believe are nearly identical to A10 struts anyways.

ZX struts do work, and if i remember correctly, lower the A10.

Fat510 knows well about this, ask him.

use the stock A10 springs...they're smaller so there's more room for bigger wheels.

Oh...and you won't be able to 13s anymore

Stock automatic drive shaft you say?

Sitting here next to the hood mhub asked for months ago.

And I sit here swirling my drink in my lowball glass thinking "well played, sir"

• Like 2

couple pictures i took for someone else to show tube height differences of 510-A10-280zx struts ,, but it also shows how small the diameter of the A10 springs are.

left to right,, real 510,, wannabe 510,, and a car driven by men that wear moustaches 280zx

MonsterJam7002_zps92db051b.jpg

MonsterJam7001_zpsc721d4ef.jpg

MonsterJam7003_zps22d05736.jpg

I am sure the 200sx struts will fit your A10 but if they aren't vented you probably aren't gaining anything by changing.. Not sure if lower mounting point (hole) is bigger and requires a bushing to take away shear on mounting bolts or not as i don't have any of those.

There are 71B transmissions which fit KA that are the same length as A10 transmission. Plenty strong.

This is very true.

The A10 automatic is likely about 31.5" long or very close. (have someone with one measure it)

The 71B 5 speed is also 31.5" long so it's not a stretch to imagine an automatic drive shaft working fitting it for length.

As the KA and the Z series motors have the same 'tilt' in the engine bay then the transmissions will also.

The KA and Z series transmissions have the same bolt pattern.

Read all the above.

The 71B 5 speed from an '80-'83 S110 (200sx) or any 720 5 speed that is 31.5" long will bolt to the KA24E or KA24DE and should accept an A10 automatic drive shaft for proper length and fit. Other than modifying the trans mount this is all you need to know.

As mentioned earlier the 710 auto in 31.5" long (or close) To instal a 31.5" long 71B 5 speed all I did was use and automatic drive shaft.

• Like 1