Weird power issues

I have a 1979 620 and started having some strange electrical issues. I'll try to be as clear as I can but I'm pretty stumped. One of the issues is the starter won't work when the truck is off but will engage if running which I know shouldn't be done but it does work. The other issue that seems to be related to the same problem is hard to explain so bear with me... When the lights are on and the radio is on the lights dim and the radio shuts off completely if I turn on the brights. The brights aren't lit up tho. Sometimes the radio shuts off at idle too. I've cleaned all the connections at the battery and the starter. It seems to be running completely from the alternator when running. If the truck is off and you turn on the key all the lights come on and everything works but the radio and light issue is there.

Oh and the reason I know the starter and the other issues are related is it happened before and once the short stopped happening the starter also worked just fine again.

Any ideas? I'm pretty lost

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you hit the starter while the engine is running, how do you know the starter is actually running, and not just slamming the moving flywheel?

Check the main cable from the battery to the starter, also check the actual post cable connection, same with the ground cable.

Modern radios shut off when they get down to a certain power level, an example would be that the radio will work till you turn on the headlights, and will come back on when the lights are shut off.

Another example would be that the turn signals/radio work when the engine is at higher RPMs, but when you drop to an idle things quit working, check everything, cables, alt, battery, voltage regulator, fuses, ect.

My truck is a 79 so the alt is internally regulated. I've cleaned all the connections I can think of connected to the starter. Al the battery cables there is plenty of juice coming from the alt. I guess I can check the alt wires too. Problem is the starter worked perfect again after it stopped last time. So I'm thinking some how it's connected. I'm starting to think it's the battery the more it think but last time I checked it and it seemed fine from what we could test

When I first got my '79 200SX it had an intermittent electrical problem that drove me crazy. It turned out to be a bad fusible link. It hadn't burned out and bubbled the outer insulation like they are supposed to. The insulation looked just fine, but internally it must have been almost broken in two. Probably not what your problem is, but I thought I'd mention it. I looked at the wiring diagram for a '79 620 and it shows at least one fusible link.

Now I have to go out any deal with my own electrical weirdness on my 510. After I came in last night I came up with "The Answer" to my problem. Feeling pretty good I know what's wrong - until I test my theory on the 510 and find out it doesn't help at all.

Len

I haven't had a starter issue but I highly recommend starting with a baseline of checking your battery and alternator output.

Idid have a similar issue with lights dimming and then getting brighter. My concern turned out to be a bad ground to the body. My battery ground had a good connection to the engine block but the connection from engine block to body was bad so my lights would dim and flicker depending on throttle input. My throttle cable was actually providing an alternate ground path.

Perhaps you can connect a jumper cable from battery negative to body or chassis and see if there is an improvement? Maybe even use a clamp on battery jumper cable for a temporary trial?