Sightings 2, the not a datsun but... Thread

I'm driving down a taxiway at the Denton TX Airport when I see THIS in a hangar!!! OMG, is that what I think it is??? Holy Crap, I almost drove off in the ditch. Gotta Check this out!!

IMAG01254_zpsfab46ac4.jpg

1963 Grand Sport Corvette. There is only 5 of these things ever built. Why is this thing not safe in a museum somewhere?

IMAG01243_zpsa856c77a.jpg

OK, now I understand. It is a VERY convincing replica. Fiberglass package, paint and a modern interior and drive line. 480 HP LS3 crate engine and T56 6 speed tranny. Lots of modern motivation so I was fooled until I took a hard look at it. If you saw it on the street, you couldn't tell it wasn't the real deal.

IMAG01271_zps5b7f61d8.jpg[/url]

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the lot at work on Friday morning, Saratoga CA.

52E08E95-0030-43DF-8039-54AC467AF822-179

52B31208-9B69-46CF-A025-DF1A92283321-179

The owner came out as I was snapping my oics.  He was super nice and took a few minutes to chat.  The California is his wifes car, it had 2 baby seats in the back and was filthy outside :D  He said his was an older Ferrari.  I ask and he tells me, "It's a Maranello"  

As a bonus he seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the 510 a few spots over ;)

Except if it was real, it wouldn't be on the street. Same reason you never have to ask if a 427 Cobra you see on the street is "real"...   ^_^

Fairlane 500 fastback seen on my way home...

b6fd2dbe480011e399ca22000ab5bc2f_7.jpg

Unless you lived in Kerrville TX in the '80s & '90s, Bob Atwell had a car museum and would drive one out of his collection on the street on nice days. Including the Duesenburgs. After Bob passed away, his son kept all of them off the streets.

My parents' next door neighbor has a real 427 Cobra that gets street driven regularly. It was his DD when he kept it at his house in Hawaii. Said it was miserably hot inside. He now keeps a late-'50s Corvette with modern drivetrain like the Grand Sport clone posted earlier on the island. The Cobra is here now. He had about a dozen cars until a couple months ago when he traded several for a reeeally nice boat (yacht). I don't have pics of all of them but these are some I worked on last year.
'57 Thunderbird
002-61.jpg
003-53.jpg
'55 convertible
005-32.jpg
008-17.jpg
'62 Impala 409
005-34.jpg

006-28.jpg

He also owns (owned) the Wrecks to Riches Hemi Roadrunner. http://www.magnumforceracing.com/cars/1968_plymouth_roadrunner.htm
There's also a '37 Ford woodie, Boss 429 Mustang, Ford GT (new GT40), Jaguar XKE, and a couple Corvettes ('57 and '61?), along with the first Harley V-rod sold in the area with only a couple hundred miles on it.

• Like 1