rb26dett awd swap :)

I'm now think of buying an RB26DETT AWD. At first it seemed to look like a difficult task. but the engine and trans are the same size. The only thing I think ill have a problem with is the front and back diffs. Pretty much the only thing Z on that car is going to be the tank and the shell:) I'm buying everything for the skyline.swap and I mean everything for 8k

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when you think about it it really wouldnt be that difficult if you know how to weld the front diff for the skylines are in the oil pan the only real difference between this and a rwd swap is you need to mod the inner fenders to allow the axles to reach the front struts it can be done the question is if the original poster has the skills and tools to make it happen

when you think about it it really wouldnt be that difficult if you know how to weld the front diff for the skylines are in the oil pan the only real difference between this and a rwd swap is you need to mod the inner fenders to allow the axles to reach the front struts it can be done the question is if the original poster has the skills and tools to make it happen

exactly... I guess these nay sayers can't understand that.

if he has 8k to drop on a pick-a-part car he better have at least the tools...

sounds fun but expensive and alot of trouble, whats the purpose of the car? DD, rally, drift?

Yes sir I do.

and I'm just doing this build for me. not going build it to enter it into anything. pretty much I'm doing it for show, and if it comes to it, ill smoke anyone who crosses my path. if everything goes as planned this will be my baby soon. someone's done it before, with the same intentions as me as far as I can see.

Perhaps save yourself a load of frustration and money and simply take the car to the crusher. It would be a more humane way of handling it.

This.

I'm all about projects, but I would assume there would be more of these if it was remotely easy. Some Z guys dumps upwards of $15K into their cars and none of them are AWD.

pretty much... I dunno where I would go about buying a chassis for a skyline... would probably be more than 8k-_- haha its too late tho, I already ordered everything lol

If you really ordered all of this, I will simply say good luck. I won't discourage this but you have to understand the number of people that come around saying they are going to fab their lawn mower into a stealth bomber. Being your only 18 it's suspect.. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Now for the important part.... If you already got the 240z and you ordered this stuff... BUILD THREAD AND OICS NAOW

I have over 2k into my Z right now and I just did suspension stuff, havent really touched the brakes yet.I dont know if this has been covered but if youre throwing an RB in your 2000lbs 40 year old car, you might want to build it up to handle the power first, but thats just me. Good luck on your build! Hybridz and Ratsun will be your bestfriend

There are a few RB26 AWD Z's I've seen and heard of, Mostly on hybridz one is a drag car in japan another was being built by a member but he decided to make it rwd but build all the provisions for AWD later. If I'm 19 and halfway through building a AWD VW super beetle, I believe you can do it too, Just got to have great mechanic skill's fab skills and money lots of money all of which I have access too. :D

Your best bet would be to buy the entire shell, possibly a wreck with minimal damage and be able to use everything, you'll have to get all the frame specs and everything, Just because it seems like a hard build doesn't mean it won't happen just might take longer then a few months.

Here is the major problem with this swap, the location of the front suspension/struts/crossmember on the Z car is much farther forward than on the Skyline.

This is a RB in a Z, notice the strut towers are in line if not forward of cyl 2

IMG_3922.JPG

Here is the oil pan/front diff of a RB:

8rb26dett_oil_pan-1.jpg

Axle line is pretty much centered if not just to the rear.

Here is the orientation in an actual Skyline:

11855mgap2.jpg

Notice how much further forward the engine is relative to the strut tower line?

The location of the diff wold need to be shifted forward or a divorced front axle used.

Using the RB pan/diff would necessitate moving the engine forward about 8-10 inches.

Looking briefly at other attempts at AWD Z's the engine is practically sticking out of the front of the car.

Not to mention what happens to shifter location, floor pan mods to fit the transfer case etc....

Is it possible? Sure..... Is it feasible or in any way practical to do this to a Z? No....

I applaud your enthusiasm, and I wish you luck if you attempt this but, I don't see you doing it, and I see a sad dead S30 in the future if you try.

My $0.02

Here is the major problem with this swap, the location of the front suspension/struts/crossmember on the Z car is much farther forward than on the Skyline.

This is a RB in a Z, notice the strut towers are in line if not forward of cyl 2

IMG_3922.JPG

8rb26dett_oil_pan-1.jpg

11855mgap2.jpg

The location of the diff wold need to be shifted forward or a divorced front axle used.

Using the RB pan/diff would necessitate moving the engine forward about 8-10 inches.

Looking briefly at other attempts at AWD Z's the engine is practically sticking out of the front of the car.

Not to mention what happens to shifter location, floor pan mods to fit the transfer case etc....

Is it possible? Sure..... Is it feasible or in any way practical to do this to a Z? No....

I applaud your enthusiasm, and I wish you luck if you attempt this but, I don't see you doing it, and I see a sad dead S30 in the future if you try.

My $0.02

Aggrreed...

I would say, contact doug at Fairladymotors /up garage, hes done plenty of rb swaps into , well anything. Even made an awd s13... but, yous in Texas... talking to that guy is way better then anything you can can find online...

If you do actually do this and get it running, I want to see it go down the road without crabbing...

There are a few RB26 AWD Z's I've seen and heard of, Mostly on hybridz one is a drag car in japan another was being built by a member but he decided to make it rwd but build all the provisions for AWD later. If I'm 19 and halfway through building a AWD VW super beetle, I believe you can do it too, Just got to have great mechanic skill's fab skills and money lots of money all of which I have access too. :D

Your best bet would be to buy the entire shell, possibly a wreck with minimal damage and be able to use everything, you'll have to get all the frame specs and everything, Just because it seems like a hard build doesn't mean it won't happen just might take longer then a few months.

finally someone positive. thanks bro. Good luck with the beetle ill post some pics of everything

IMG_3922.JPG

8rb26dett_oil_pan-1.jpg

11855mgap2.jpg

My $0.02

Listen. it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks is practical or not. I mean if I wanted to put the rb. into a complete piece of crap. what does it matter? Its the builders decision to build whatever they want because its their vehicle. not yours. so being practical isn't a factor here.

thanks

Listen. it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks is practical or not. I mean if I wanted to put the rb. into a complete piece of crap. what does it matter? Its the builders decision to build whatever they want because its their vehicle. not yours. so being practical isn't a factor here.

thanks

Bahahahahahaha

Oh man, this is going to be a good thread. :rolleyes:

When do you receive all your parts so I know when to expect work?

Well, I was going to say something negative about Texas, especially for quoting Flobots in the sig, but I guess I'll refrain. If I WAS going to say something, it would be something like "Harden the fuck up Tejas!" :rofl:

• Like 1

Its not that the nay sayers dont understand that its possible its that the kids dont have a clue whats involved. You didnt even know the dif was in the pan but you ordered everything? You also didnt do any research to know the engine would be hanging out of the front of the car if you tried it in an s30? Sounds like you have more money then knowledge to me.

I would 2nd the body drop, there are so many options too. There is a famous drop onto a 4wd s10 used for hill climb thats pretty sick. A few years ago doing actual research I found the e30 bimmer xi has very similar dimensions, as if the shell would drop right on. That bimmer can be had cheap as hell and they sell an off the shelf turbo kit for it. I also researched doing an awd z32, had the trans and everything then my z32 was stolen lol.

The rb26 swap for awd requires a ton of fab and more money then you got. I can say that confidently because its would be cheaper to body drop onto a fucked up 12g r32 then it would be to convert. Which seems outside your means.

Its been mentioned, if it wasnt next to impossible you would see a bunch of them around. Looks how many wacky swaps you see in s30s, v12 jag, v10 viper, v12 bimmer, a million v8s, body drops etc.... You dont think people would be doing rb26 awd swaps if they could? lol

W/e you'll learn one way or another I just felt like typing to a wall. Good luck to ya.

Its not that the nay sayers dont understand that its possible its that the kids dont have a clue whats involved. You didnt even know the dif was in the pan but you ordered everything? You also didnt do any research to know the engine would be hanging out of the front of the car if you tried it in an s30? Sounds like you have more money then knowledge to me.

I would 2nd the body drop, there are so many options too. There is a famous drop onto a 4wd s10 used for hill climb thats pretty sick. A few years ago doing actual research I found the e30 bimmer xi has very similar dimensions, as if the shell would drop right on. That bimmer can be had cheap as hell and they sell an off the shelf turbo kit for it. I also researched doing an awd z32, had the trans and everything then my z32 was stolen lol.

The rb26 swap for awd requires a ton of fab and more money then you got. I can say that confidently because its would be cheaper to body drop onto a fucked up 12g r32 then it would be to convert. Which seems outside your means.

Its been mentioned, if it wasnt next to impossible you would see a bunch of them around. Looks how many wacky swaps you see in s30s, v12 jag, v10 viper, v12 bimmer, a million v8s, body drops etc.... You dont think people would be doing rb26 awd swaps if they could? lol

W/e you'll learn one way or another I just felt like typing to a wall. Good luck to ya.

Its going to be hanging out of the front? No it won't. how do you know how much research I've done? I'm not going in on this project alone. People have done it before. I can do it, you just have to have no fear. you said its going to cost more than I have? Yes obviously you know how much I have?;) exactly how many people have tried to do this? Not many but the few that have, have been successful. I'm not afraid. and I don't care what any of you think. its going to work, maybe you don't have the mind to build it. but I do, yeah I'm 18. But who is to say that an 18 year old can do it or not, if you don't even know what I'm made of. I'M OUT