L20B oil filter

I read through the Fram vs Napa comparrison and think I have my question answered but would like verification.

I don't know what year my L20B is. Does it matter what filter I run on it?

A Napa 1521 or Napa 1452.

As long as it is not too tall for my application I'm good?

It has a 1521 on it now. The guy gave me a 1452 before I knew I had a 1521.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not use Fram if you care about your L motor. NAPA are ok. I believe the old Ford 4.9 liter (300cu in) inline six will also work. I've used 305 chevy filters too I think. Just compare the position of the rubber gasket on the bottom are the same. These are at least as big if not bigger and usually cheaper.

Always check the block surface and make sure the old rubber gasket didn't stick to it from the old filter. Wipe some oil on the new filter gasket and hand tighten. Start and always check for leaking.

I use the traditional "Ford" filter, as datzenmike says. NAPA 1515 or Wix 51515. HRH here on Ratsun first told me this would fit an L20b (Thanks, Matt!). This size is slightly taller than the original size filter, but there should be room on most Datsuns for it to fit. Taller size should mean a little more filter area, and they are usually somewhat cheaper than the original size filter.

Len

1515 Ford V8 filter fits 90% of Ford V8s, and 90% of Datsuns. You only need to use the 1521 if you need a shorter filter. As in to clear a frame rail. 1452 is the exact same as a 1515 if I recall correctly, but they charge you twice as much.

1515 is the cheapest due to being Ford V8 filter. Conveniently fits a slew of other vehicles, including Datsun. If you're in Spokane, we're having our filter sale for the corporate stores Sept 4th-21st. That includes Post Falls, ID. Don't know about NAPA Canada.

Thanks for all of the replys and info!

1515 Ford V8 filter fits 90% of Ford V8s, and 90% of Datsuns. You only need to use the 1521 if you need a shorter filter. As in to clear a frame rail. 1452 is the exact same as a 1515 if I recall correctly, but they charge you twice as much.

This is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you!

Go to Wix's site, and check the 51515 page. The list of vehicles that filter is used on is huge! It seems that almost every manufacturer has used it at some point.

I also used Wix's site to compare the 51515 (1515), and the 1452, and they are identical spec wise.

Here is the difference in size. The smaller one is from Canadian Tire a local Canadian auto store and other crap. This is from my 710 sedan L18 and came with it on. The oil was spotless clean so I'm just now changing it because of all the short trips to work by Mrs.D this summer. They are made by Fram and this one's likely NOT from China as it is still printed with red... all the new ones are made in China and have black lettering. Can you imagine Fram..... AND made in China??? Could it get worse??? I've never had problems with Can Tire (or crap tire as we like to call it) oil filters but I also change more often than needed. Once I found they were really Fram filters I stopped buying them. Now, unbelievably, there is an even better reason to not go down the oil filter aisle.

NAOAoilfilter003Large.jpg