My new little toy...

Just a teaser... I got it home and had to skedaddle to work (plus the camera batteries were all but dead, and I had it on the wrong distance setting).

I'll get more photos this weekend...

20080529_154702_DSCF0012z.JPG

Drove it home from Fort Lewis, though not exactly legally. It has a couple problems that I need to address- the military-type blackout/running light switch got scavanged by somebody, and the generator doesn't work (add dead batteries, I drove it home with no electrics at all. Gotta love full-mechanical Diesels). It does however have almost all the standard equipment- 3 fire extinguishers, a Jerry-can nozzle, the special lug wrench, NATO slave cable adaptor (too bad it doesn't have the cable), a jack, an emergency kit, part of the pioneer kit (well, the axe is there), accomodation ladder, tire chains, and the tarp and bow set is in the bed, and it came with a full tank of Diesel.

But it runs great and drives, well, like a Deuce (but shifts OK).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have seen how many they had. Have. The Army is liquidating all of the old M35A2 Deuces, and they're all selling for under $1500. It took us 10 minutes to FIND mine amongst the masses. I just realized I drove the thing all the way home with that pink item lot # tag stuck in the windshield.

hmmm... i wonder how that woudl work as a tow rig???? i might have to look into one.

You can hook up your entire neighborhood and tow it with that thing. I drove them back in the 70' when I was serving our country. balst to drive just don't be in a hurry to get anywhere.

hmmm... i wonder how that woudl work as a tow rig???? i might have to look into one.

Why do you think I got it?

Main problem is that it's 24V electrics. And the pintle hook is 4' off the ground... I'll have a receiver hitch put on eventually.

A hurry? I was at 2000 RPM (redline is around 3500) and doing 40MPH- in 5th gear. I was in 5th at 30MPH. At least the tach and speedo work without electricity (only other gauge that is mechanical is the air pressure gauge).

I used to drive these when I was in the service, so I knew what to expect. I did forget that 1st gear gets you up to about 3MPH... so 1st gear is normally not used (doesn't have syncros anyway). Starts off just fine in 2nd anyway.

That's in High range. Imagine what 1st gear + low range is. Redline at 2MPH...

I will have to admit that I much prefer the 5-ton trucks (power steering and almost twice the horsepower) but their GVW is over 30,000 LBS making a CDL required to drive them. Of course, the Deuce is right on the edge of CDL required- in fact Michigan and California both require CDLs to drive them under Civilian ownership due to the brakes having an air component (Air over Hydraulic)

It already HAS a gun rack. 2 holders for M16s, butt end on the floor, and barrel clamps on the dash. I'll get pics when I can- my camera batteries are in the charger now.

The hard part is getting the M16s.

Not to hard, pick up an AR-15 from your local gun shop. They just aren't fully auto. ;)

24 Volts not a problem, you just need the 24-12 convertor. Or wire the lights of one battery to give you 12V lights, which is what I would do since the 24-12 convertors have an annoying habit of failing without warning, ex Australian Army Land Rover with 24V as a family car when I was a kid. The pintle hook means you can tow a bigger trailer and carry most of your fleet to shows.

SWEET. I love Duce and a halfs. My dad picked up three of them about 15 years ago. They are quite large... he sold em all but man they are pretty crazy trucks..

If you need sources for parts I can hook you up. My dad used to deal exclusively in WW2 and later Dodge military truck parts. A family friend still has mountains of parts although I think mostly for 1/2tons, M37s, and Powerwagons. Let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

only m16 a-1's are fully auto, a-2's have a three round burst and even it isn't really worth a damn over 25 ft.

My unit used M16A3's exclusively, except the pair of AR-15s we somehow got. We also had a couple "mutts" (M16A2 stock/barrel and an A1 reciever/trigger group).

I would have preferred an M14, but I got pretty darn proficient with the 16. Of course I preferred the M1911 pistol over the M9, too. But it didn't matter because I always got stuck with the Mossberg.

Gensaiken, I think the light switch unit was the same on an M37, at least the pics of M37s show that unit and it looks the same. I know I can get new ones for $60.

Guest jaimesix

That is a cool truck. I want one of those. Are those in good working condition??? Can I get them in California???

That is cool!!!

Jaime._________________________________________________________

As promised, a couple more pictures...

DSCF0014.JPG

I tried putting up the bows... one was giving me difficulty (the stake sleeve is bent on the right-center post)

DSCF0016.JPG

The big gaping hole is the missing light switch. The connector hanging loose plugs into it.

DSCF0017.JPG

88,349.1 miles (probably original). That's actually pretty high.

DSCF0019.JPG

These are the rifle racks.

DSCF0020.JPG

View from the driver's Seat

DSCF0022.JPG

Built-in air conditioning ie- open the windshield (it also can be folded down to the hood)

DSCF0023.JPG

Not a speed demon- the max speed table. And check out the shift pattern. It's amazing how many guys have trouble with that 3-4 transition.

DSCF0024.JPG

The tailgate is a bit bent.

DSCF0025.JPG

Profile. I had to stand all the way across the street to get it in frame.

DSCF0026.JPG

I even got the boarding ladder. Didn't get the handrail though.

I did start it up Sunday after a futile attempt to charge the batteries (one battery has a shorted cell). I used the batteries out of my Ford. The generator does in fact work, it just takes a couple minutes to create a field (I recall that being somewhat normal). New batteries will be required I guess.