My new little toy...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find Doug!!! What are you going to do with it? It would make a bad ass motor home :D

I think it would be cool to paint it pink :D think of all the weird looks you would get driving a pink army rig around!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it only took 2 1/2 MONTHS, but I finally have Licence Plates! It was a bit of a hassle that didn't even have to be- partially my fault, actually.

See, when you buy a vehicle from the US Gov'ts "Official" Surplusser, they don't give you a very important piece of paper. It's called an SF97, which is the form that allows you to apply for a standard title. They tell you that you need to have it inspected to have the VIN, make, model, year, GVWR, etc so that they can issue you a "proper" SF97.

So I assumed that meant I needed a State Patrol inspection (VIN inspection).

Of course, I needed first to get the lights working and a set of batteries- got the light switch in mid-July, and got batteries the next week. SO I was ready for an inspection. Not. When I tried to set up an inspection appointment, I was told by the WSP officer that they cannot inspect a vehicle without the SF97. Catch-22- I needed an inspection to get the paper that would allow me to get an inspection. In reality, the WSP officer said I didn't even need an inspection if I had the SF97.

So I re-read the "Inspection requirements". No where did the say what agency I needed to use. They even had a form to fill out... and no where was there a name or a place to fill out who actually performed this inspection. And it has to be faxed in, so obviously it didn't need a notary stamp or anything.

Well, geez. I can just play "Fill in the blanks" and fax the bugger in myself.

So I did- teh last week of July. Today I got a registered letter, containing one very valid SF97 and a form reassigning the SF97 to me.

I took said papers to the Pierce County Auditor (they are the cheapest Licensing agent here, no subagent fees) and within 20 minutes walked out with a set of plates and registration.

So now I can LEGALLY strike fear in the hearts of the soccer moms in their Excursions on the highway.

Next up: Trailer hitch. I need to add a standard reciever hitch to this thing so I can tow my flatbed trailer or my boat. Unfortunately the first custom hitch shop said they didn't want the job.

Yes, a standard reciever hitch. I need to be able to attach a 2 5/16" ball mount no more than 26" off the pavement (the reciever can be higher, I'd just get a drop hitch). The truck has a large swivel pintle hitch but that doesn't work with my flatbed or boat trailers.

Welded or bolted, doesn't matter to me as long as it can handle a pretty heavy tounge load and a 13,000 lb trailer. We've had problems in the past using a Chevy K3500 Dually with the hitch getting ripped out of the frame with the trailers we tow at the Raceboat museum. The M35 has a much beefier frame, but the crossmembers and "bumpers" are riveted on (can't be removed) AND the air lines for the gladhands run inside the C-channel of the frame. I think that's why B&E didn't want to tackle it. They suggested tork-lift down in Kent, at some point I'll call but I haven't had much luck FINDING custom hitch installers any closer (Kent is kinda boring to hang out waiting for 5-6 hours).

Even that doesn't solve the 24-12V problem of the trailer lights and brakes. I could just swap the bulbs out, but that doesn't fix the brakes. Probably going to have to carry a deepcell and run relays, or run a batter equalizer (both are expensive though).