Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks- I'm leaning toward the black on red

The biggest thing in terms of wiring is going to get it to work with the stock turn signal stalk and ignition

Bigger issues have arisen though....

Apparently both KA heads I have are no good. Being told by the machine shop that they have head gasket material embedded in the head.... And can't seem to find a rebuilt head that doesn't require a good core deposit....

ebay? I bought a rebuilt head for my civic for about $300 and like a $30-$60 Core Charge I Dont Remember. But it came with a 3year Unlimited Mile warranty aswell which kinda had me sold. Could be wrong about the 3year part but thats what comes to mind first ill check

ebay? I bought a rebuilt head for my civic for about $300 and like a $30-$60 Core Charge I Dont Remember. But it came with a 3year Unlimited Mile warranty aswell which kinda had me sold. Could be wrong about the 3year part but thats what comes to mind first ill check

I was looking on eBay .... But it appears that they only have Altima heads available..... They say they will fit the 240.... But I don't believe them.

I actually have a good s14 head that has been resurfaced and valve seals changed. I might also have the receipt from the machine shop still ill have to check of youre interested.

Definitely interested I'll shoot you a pm

Looking at pics of both heads side by side it's a definite maybe... :rofl:

Also if you look at the cams one of them is longer and there is an extra cam cap at the back

The distributor wouldn't mater since I'll be running carbs and megajolt....

Either way I don't feel like being a guinea pig. Did some research today ... While at work.... Got some calls to make on Monday

• 3 weeks later...

Takes 2 to 3 sessions of "cooking" but i can confirm it works

Grab a 3/8" plate of steel, drill the holes out for the head bolts. Straight edge the head to find the warpage, shim about double the size of the warpage and cook. The first session will take about half the warpage out the second session will take anouther half out. ect.... 

shit you can do this in your oven if the wife wont kill you.

Alternativly a new head is like 350 bucks .

Update on the dash project

Got my sheet aluminum in- couldn't find anything thick enough locally so had to order some from online metals.com

Got it mocked and bent up. Forgot to take a final photo in the car but hope to have it fully mounted by the weekend. Then I'll pull it off order the gauges and get them mounted up.

Marked all my cuts and bends with a straight edge and a sharpie

then scored the cuts with a dremel then bent / broke them
off.

For the bends I clamped the metal between two 2x4s and used a third piece of the correct length to bend using the roundest edged 2x4 for the radius of the bends

• Like 2

Update on the dash project

Got my sheet aluminum in- couldn't find anything thick enough locally so had to order some from online metals.com

Got it mocked and bent up. Forgot to take a final photo in the car but hope to have it fully mounted by the weekend. Then I'll pull it off order the gauges and get them mounted up.

B9B5DB7B-FA20-4A59-A0FC-D0492FF52D4B.jpg

368AE964-7797-42F1-AA55-933A60BC4D4E.jpg

F3C3FB34-0346-48AD-AD8E-CBC24A21A0C9.jpg

77244B90-2286-424A-B13C-42C6DDEBF266.jpg

Marked all my cuts and bends with a straight edge and a sharpie

then scored the cuts with a dremel then bent / broke them

off.

For the bends I clamped the metal between two 2x4s and used a third piece of the correct length to bend using the roundest edged 2x4 for the radius of the bends

I just made my own dash etc. couldn't be happier with it and excited to see how yours comes out.

Here are some photos completely bent and mostly mounted.

Still need to add two screw one the driver door edge

Don't think I'm going to add upper mounting points since the dash pad puts enough pressure on it

Leaving the plastic on till in get the gauge holes drilled

Going with speedo and tach behind the steering wheel and then water temp, oil pressure, volts, wideband afr , and fuel in the center where the radio/temp controls used to be

Going to put a 3 toggle switch plate near where the stock wiper/lights were for the wipers, lights and hazards. Gauge dimmer will probably go under that some where

Irs obviously homemade... But given my lack of sheet metal tools I'm pretty happy so far, especially for my first try

Oh---!!

I want to put a USB or cigarette lighter port on there as well for the phone charger and what not- anyone have any recommended units?

I got a 2 insert 24a unit on Amazon for $7 and I'm more happy than anything else with it lol. I can't post pics from my computer but text me and I'll give you all you need in pics that I have haha
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Couple more updates -

Got most of the holes cut in the dash, just need to order the gauges and add the dimmer

Got an update from Ray at Garage Autohero - Pan is moving along

Went ahead cut the trans tunnel and test fit my spare block and trans - tossed one of my bad heads on top for reference

Trans seems to be sitting to low with a T3 Crossmember and 260z trans isolator.... giving the engine a bit of a tilt back. - Mocked up with 510 mounts with the upper soft mount holes in the lower crossmember holes... 

any thoughts? or remedies other then just adding a spacer between the trans isolator and crossmember?

• Like 1

Trans seems to be sitting to low with a T3 Crossmember and 260z trans isolator.... giving the engine a bit of a tilt back. - Mocked up with 510 mounts with the upper soft mount holes in the lower crossmember holes...

any thoughts? or remedies other then just adding a spacer between the trans isolator and crossmember?

Yup. The $85 "bolt in" crossmember dips down way too low. If you're going to rip off someone else's product, it should at least work. I put a piece of 1" rectangle tubing and a 1/8" steel plate cut to the shape of the transmission mount flange between the trans and mount, and my hood barely clears the L valve cover.I meant to call months ago when I got it but every time I though about it, it pissed me off. I made it work so I let it be.
  • Like 1

Yup. The $85 "bolt in" crossmember dips down way too low. If you're going to rip off someone else's product, it should at least work. I put a piece of 1" rectangle tubing and a 1/8" steel plate cut to the shape of the transmission mount flange between the trans and mount, and my hood barely clears the L valve cover.I meant to call months ago when I got it but every time I though about it, it pissed me off. I made it work so I let it be.

Bummer.... I bought mine months ago

It's weird with t3... I like there coil over kit and camber plates and the quality is good.... But their heatshield was all off and now this is off.... Bummer