Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

That's cool.... trying to keep tabs on datsuns I know that are close by.... I would love to get an east coast datsun show going some day.... or even start a local club for Sunday morning meets...

The CTZCC crew used to be pretty active -mostly z's , but they were always open to other nissans and datsuns 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Only the 2nd page this time... not too bad -

Finally got some time to work on the dime. Went down to CT for a few days to take care of some issues. 

Pulled the engine the reseal the oil pan--- hoping it holds this time... 

Tried to use the "stock" 2?0z trans mount.. but it dropped the trans too far and in turn angled the engine too far back so it hit the firewall... oh well back to the poly mount...

Got a new TPS sensor and adapter for throttle shaft--- and it works! Which allowed me to finally update to a real ignition map. Ill have to screenshot a photo of it later, but its basically a tweaked version of Dukes map adjusted for a TPS sensor instead of MAP. Could probably use some fine tuning, but it works for now and the car runs much better then the flat 15 degree map I was running before.

For anyone interested, and hopefully this helps someone else since I had a hell of a time trying to figure it out... Kinsler Fuel Injection sells these TPS sensors, and this adapter for a 3/8" throttle shaft (such as the one available from pierce manifolds) I used the clockwise rotation sensor for my application. 

Some engine shots... it just looks too good!!! 

Also worked out a few other electrical kinks - added a second fuse panel. Got the reverse lights working. Got the AFR wideband gauge working. And finally got my speedo working!!! Ended up being a bent pin in the vss sensor, carefully bent it back and it works. All my gauges work now!!!!

So since everything was working I took it out for a spin --- 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

-Exhaust work - header back (was hoping to get my spare rear crossmember exhaust opened and adjustable... but I dont think thats gonna happen... Ill just go full 2.5" or full 3" and have then do a smaller pipe through the x-member and replace it down the road)

So when I was doing mine, one thought I had was to just treat the xmember as exhaust.  Weld pipe to both ends and v-flange or whatever flange you want.  The rear mount should allow for some movement and the front of your exhaust should have the braided section to allow for movement.  Not sure if this is a good idea, but it was one "idea" I had as a work around when I was doing mine.  

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Damn... I made it all the way to the 4th page even with Ratsun being pretty dead these days.... damn instagram and facebook killing the car forums... anyway I haven't given up yet! 

Haven't had much to update since the move back east. With the car being stored in CT and living in an apartment in MA... there  weren't many updates... until a few weeks ago. We bought a house which means the car gets to come back up. The garage is small... but big enough to fit the 510 and a nice work bench. ultimate plan is to tear it down and build a nice 2 car garage... we'll see how long that takes....

anyway...

Yesterday was the day to bring her to the new home. 

Picked up a Uhaul trailer and did the round trip MA->CT->MA in today to bring her home!

33814545188_fb347ab51b_z.jpg20190424_113941 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

46776025215_70164d4d05_z.jpg20190424_113949 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

32748824077_4680fb7f1d_z.jpg20190424_114003 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

33814544508_8296fb6cc3_z.jpg20190424_171809 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

We'll see... future updates may be slow as well cause the house needs love too, but at least Ill have the 510 to cruise around in. 

• Like 2

Not to bad your about an hour away,  just means you have to put up with me for a while if I come and help... just make an afternoon of it.... 

I think mainer311 is closer to you..... 

I forgot where he said but I thought it was up in the lowel/Lawrence area....

When your ready we should talk about putting together a datsun meet , I think we briefly brought that up at the Lars Anderson car show....

Catch up with you soon....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Not to bad your about an hour away,  just means you have to put up with me for a while if I come and help... just make an afternoon of it.... 

I think mainer311 is closer to you..... 

I forgot where he said but I thought it was up in the lowel/Lawrence area....

When your ready we should talk about putting together a datsun meet , I think we briefly brought that up at the Lars Anderson car show....

Catch up with you soon....

Definitely will be some driveway wrenching this summer... gotta get down and help b^2 get his 510 running. We got half way through a side draft swap and then the weather got to cold.

Always down for a good weekend cruise or event. We should definitely try and put together a gathering. I think there are a couple guys up in NH too. I think threebsracing is pretty close.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:29 PM, demo243 said:

Definitely will be some driveway wrenching this summer... gotta get down and help b^2 get his 510 running. We got half way through a side draft swap and then the weather got to cold.

Always down for a good weekend cruise or event. We should definitely try and put together a gathering. I think there are a couple guys up in NH too. I think threebsracing is pretty close.

That's correct, I'm in Southern NH.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So.... I did a thing today.... 

No I didn't sell the 510... Never!

But I did add another vehicle to the collection. 

Today I joined the 620 club. I think I'll call her Orange Whip

48516221166_62c2393227_z.jpgOrange whip 620 by devon M, on Flickr

48516395217_a82dd7e680_z.jpgOrange whip 620 by devon M, on Flickr

The 510 is still very much in the picture... but its less fun to drive all the time now as its essentially a race car, so I was looking for something to be able to cruise around in.

Link to Orange Whips builde

Orange Whip '78 620

Edited by demo243
  • 4 weeks later...

Not much to update on the 510... been spending alot of time working on the truck...

I did steal away to Limerock in CT last weekend for the vintage races and drove the 510. Cruises like a champ on the highway! Although the trans is not sounding good.... need to swap the spare one in and see if its any better... 

Anyway here are some photos. 

Trackside camping!

48648756597_df12151db2_z.jpg20190830_125713 by devon M, on Flickr

48685981632_39206127af_z.jpg20190830_130915 by devon M, on Flickr

Neighbors are Datsun fans too!!! 

48685808691_b9bd9cf772_z.jpg20190830_105026 by devon M, on Flickr

There is no racing on Sundays due to the church across the street.... but they do fill the track for a car show... and obviously had to put the 510 out there --- drew quite a lot of attention. 

48685978527_097c8f6754_z.jpg20190901_121830 by devon M, on Flickr

And... Dos Dattos!!!

48685805416_212de00968_z.jpg20190905_204111 by devon M, on Flickr

48685796946_16abdfc928_z.jpg20190829_182603 by devon M, on Flickr

48532556747_b43ae3e819_z.jpg20190812_190110 by devon M, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Long time no updates... car is tucked away in the garage for winter. I've pulled it out and ran it for a few minutes... but that's it...

Starting to have some thoughts about cutting out the roll bar.... 

Still think I want the option of having one...it will always be a bit of a race car... but thinking a bolt in for the couple days a year it sees track use might be nice to allow for some rear seats...

I think  Busta Nut put some prelude seats in the back of his four door... looking to see about maybe put an wrx seat in the rear of a 4 door?!?!?

Might just be the winter doldrums messing with my head....

Also need to plan on doing all the bushings up front and maybe some new lower control arms and rods in the spring

• 1 month later...

Not much to update.... Been driving the 620 alot since the roads around here are still pretty messy... 

Pulled the car out of the garage yesterday to make some organization and cleaning a little bit easier. Started up fine.. although the clutch pedal is feeling really light... I am gonna have to go in there and rebleed it and hope its just some air or old fluid... 

20200315_151214

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the 510 out for its maiden spring voyage. Car is running good! Just begs to be hammered and driven hard. Definitely faster then the 620... which is a very good thing. After driving the 620 a bunch recently the 510 feels so planted, quick and precise.

Clutch is really light... bleed it... but still feels really light... works but I dont remember it being that light... maybe the spring on the 620 is just that much heavier...

Anyway... my new go to photo spot was taken... but here are a couple...

20200327_171854

20200327_211018

Hoods Up!!!!

20200327_160059

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Teaser shot...

The 510 has been a bit neglected recently.... but test fit these 13s i got from a buddy a little while back... just waiting on proper lugs... unfortunately even super performance 13 tires are getting hard to find since the last time a looked... and these tires are old as shit...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

All cleaned up and no where to go!

49847978631_1f3e30f530_b.jpg

swapped the 15s back on since the tires on the 13s are really old... it was also pulling to the left pretty bad with them on.

Also gave her a quick bath and quick polish. Sadly no where to go with all this covid stuff going on...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Isn't there a grocery store in Connecticut that you need something from?

Took her for a quick spin. Got a couple good on ramps on I-95 near me... those big long bendy ones with a straight in the middle... the kind where you can be well above the highway speed limit before you have even hit the last bend to merge on 😈  😈  😈  😈

• Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:49 PM, demo243 said:

Teaser shot...

The 510 has been a bit neglected recently.... but test fit these 13s i got from a buddy a little while back... just waiting on proper lugs... unfortunately even super performance 13 tires are getting hard to find since the last time a looked... and these tires are old as shit...

Yeah, good 13" rubber is slim pickens. Its either Toyo or Michelin for treaded tires, even though they are actually track tires. Michelin is kinda pricy. Dunlop and BFG still have some offerings but they're wsw tires.

https://www.cokertire.com/michelin-tb15.html

1 hour ago, docbainey said:

Yeah, good 13" rubber is slim pickens. Its either Toyo or Michelin for treaded tires, even though they are actually track tires. Michelin is kinda pricy. Dunlop and BFG still have some offerings but they're wsw tires.

https://www.cokertire.com/michelin-tb15.html

If I run these I might get some Federals. Looks like you can still find 185/60 595s for about $50 each... Narrower then I want... but oh well...

Still deciding what I want to do for 13's... or if I even want to keep pursuing them... The original plan was for them to be Track/Autocross wheels, but I haven't been good at getting to the track or autocross in a while.... I still am considering picking up some 13" Rotas so they use the same tuner lugs as my 15's. I just dont like the old shank style lugs... Just dont know if I can justify buying full on track/autoX tires at the moment... dont know if I will get there enough times in the next few years to use em up... Or I just get some new Azenis or StarSpecs and run them for both street and track use.

They also offer Rota Grids in a 15x7 +20 now too in both bronze and black which is really tempting... the 15" RBs need new tires anyway... so is it time for a change? swap to 15" Grids for daily use? 

If your going to put Azenis or StarSpecs on the 15s for daily driving, I wouldn't even bother with the 13s, unless you do put track tires on em. No need to put crappy tires on your car just to run 13" wheels. Stick with the those15s. Since your in the east, track tires do not like to be in cold weather (freezing). I run kumho ecsta 205/50-15 treaded track tires on the street. I got a killer deal from a closeout gig on the tire rack. As far as wearing them out. Im lucky to drive 100 miles a year. Those type of tires would probably be good for about 3K miles on the street. I did have to buy the cheapest az 13" tires to put on the car when its cold (winter). Ended up getting 185/70-13s off of ebay for like $125 for all 4. Made in Vietnam!!! All's I know is they hold air for me to be able to move the car around when the track tires are off for the season and in the house. The best performance radial tires will be 2 ply tires. You'll see some nomenclature on the tire that will say something like tread = 2 polyester 2 steel 1 nylon ,  sidewall =  2 polyester. The 'ply' is polyester, nylon or rayon is better, the steel is the belts and the 1 nylon is the overlay. Overlay holds the tire together at speed.

• Like 1