Inlet connector elbow on head?

Oh what the hell... it is one thing after another on my 521. Went to check out a leak on my heater return hose on the fire wall. And just cause that leak wasn't enough. This is what happened at the other end of the hose to the inlet connector elbow on my head. CRACK!

IMG_4610.jpg

Argh... I know it is a small thing, but lately is is one small thing after another!

So does anyone have a l16 one? I am checking on an entire l16 that is local today that I am thinking of swapping in. But if I can't get it, another solution would be great.

Or would this z car one on ebay work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Heater-Inlet-Connector-240Z-280Z-280ZX-NEW_W0QQitemZ310052230783QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310052230783&

It looks right. But do the threads match?

Thanks guys.

Scott

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is you'd think I put a ton of pressure on that hose, but I barely touched it. Now I am wondering abut the connector at the heater/firewall where the leak started. Maybe it isn't the hose after all! I better get that hose off of there and see.

Pac I didn't think about JB weld! But the ring is busted off almost the whole way around. And realy low on the elbow too. But hell it is broken anyway, can't hurt to try while I am waiting for a replacement.

Phleb, I wondered if a plumbing supplier would stock this? I don't know enough about plumbing fittings to know if the thread is right. Could be another cool thing to try though!

A hardware store will have a tool that tells you what the thread size is. I swear from now on when i visit the yards ill be buying all these small parts for moments like this. BTW off topic, do you still need those brake adjuster clips? I may have some on some 520 drums i saved.

BTW off topic, do you still need those brake adjuster clips? I may have some on some 520 drums i saved.

Thanks for asking, but I just had some adjusters show up today with clips. A nice hook up from Datsun4u. But I shudder to think what else I might break putting them in!:D

Sounds like a hardware store might be worth a shot on this elbow. I hope it comes out easy!

I hate to say it but that's going to be a bitch. I have a feeling it might be British Pipe Thread... metric at the very least. So plumbiing shop might not be able to help as they resist any changes to metric. All L series pipes should be the same. I have found the aluminum and steel tent to sieze together in a very short time so it's going to be 'in there'. On the plus side it looks like the split is above the hex fitting so at least you can get a wrench on it.

Fisch, make sure you use a 6 pt socket and a long breaker bar to get it off. be careful not to twist or you cound end up breaking it off at the head. your best bet would be to buy one new from e-bay or something. some things you just have to buy new.:eek:

I replaced one of those in a straight six head. It was hard to break loose. I hope yours stays in one piece...

Z-car fittings might work. But, note that some of the Z's had dual outlet fittings right there. :) (just to make it more difficult for you)

Well you guys are making me a little nervous about trying to take this thing off, especially after the fiasco with my t-stat housing.

Since it is broken anyway I thought I might try something. What if I JB weld a slightly smaller tube into the existing tube, like an inner wall. Then JB weld the outside too? (Being careful not to put the inner tube too far down of course!)

The guy at NAPA seemed to think JB weld would have no problem holding the joint. But the break does go all the way across at this point, so that's alot of JB.

I've got about 1/4 below the break line. If I get the clamp real low, alot of it should be over the part that is still connected.

Do you think a copper inner pipe would be ok against the steel?

Or should I just man up and get out my breaker bar 6 pt. socket and pray?

The good news is that the outlet on my heater/firewall looks great!

(Hehe... I've seen that brand new JDM sss head that was on ebay and dime quartly recently. $500 or something. That'd be kinda different! Though I don't know if there is anything better about it than a normal peanut?)

Do the breaker bar. The inlets are pretty sturdy going into the head. I was referring to stripping the part with a wrench. ( the reason for 6 pt socket ). They are real tough to get off. I used a 1/2 drive socket & breaker bar and still had to "put my weight into it". Good luck

I personally do not like the JB Weld idea, would consider it an emergency only temporary band-aid.

Man up and take the broken fitting out of the head(we can all pray for you). I bet that somebody has one of those laying around and would make you a good deal, rather than paying $20 plus freight on Ebay.

Jason

Man up it is. Yeah I'd always question the JB breaking on the highway somewhere. I've started soaking it in PD blaster...

I will of course report the results...

Rather than a plumbing or hardware store, try to find a place that does hydraulic hoses or refrigeration. They would be more likely to be able to match the thread, and would probably have it in brass or stainless as well, to avoid the whole galvanic problem in the future.

SA-WEET! Your prayers must've worked my Ratsun Brothers, cause that puppy broke loose pretty easy and came right out!

I can sleep easier tonight!

Now I just gotta buy a replacement!

Hey fishy you can still buy new heater hoses from nissan, they are cheap to :D Maybe since you are replacing the fitting you can through on some new hoses :D just a though :D

sweet! at least it came out in one peice. i too suggest a plubing supply outfit. they might have something that would work for cheaper than buting form nissan or fleabay. i have fixed a few cars with household plumbing stuff. works just as good but might not look pretty. hell part of my passat is held together by store bought plumbing supplies. my freinds cressida, the temp contorl valve isnow a 90* elbo fomr coast-to-coast. works fine except the heat is on all the time:D

Hey fishy you can still buy new heater hoses from nissan, they are cheap to :D Maybe since you are replacing the fitting you can through on some new hoses :D just a though :D

Totally. Tried to call them yesterday to order some, but they must've taken off early for the holliday! Figure even Nissan would be cheaper then the $19 I was quoted on ebay for shipping 2 hoses! (That doesn't include the $31 B.I.N. price of the hoses.):eek:

I love how the folks on ebay hide the part #'s on the packaging to you can't order it yourself. Can't blame them! Information is a commodity. Alot of folks are too lazy to dig for the # themselves...

Speaking of which... I've torn through the parts sheets I downloaded from The620, and CAN"T find the part # for this elbow?

I have the #'s for the hoses (Thanks HAinz) . I've looked in the 'head' section in the 'Heater' section and in the 'Radiator' section. Anyone know it off hand?

I might try to hit a plumbing place today. But if I am ordering the hoses from Nissan anyway, I will grab an elbow too.

good going, i tried to break loose my elbow a couple weeks ago and couldn't get it to budge. i didn't try to use a breaker bar. mine was just slightly turned too far clockwise.

yep another pocket part to collect from the yard. let us know if you need a used one.

OK now that you have found out that the "EBAY GUY" (from Texas) that seems to have all this little stuff has a habit of making up his own shipping prices..(gentlemen:..I for one will not buy anything from him...yes, I have in the past, but just the thought of paying < Like you said Scott $19 bucks shipping for those hoses> makes me wonder what kind of dude he is...Believe me ALL of his shipping quotes are outrageous...........................yep I know supply and demand and all that stuff, but jeez...) anyway I feel almost certain that Nissan parts would have that one if they have the hoses...remember, that fitting goes on all the 16, 18 and 20's...........maybe even the Z motors too...might check with parts houses as well and as has been stated already, that is not just an SAE thread, it is metric at least and could be BPT...

Quick update for y'all.

The elbow is standered pipe thread!

But I had to buy 4 various pieces to make it work at the local hardware store, total of like $11.50. And it now has 3 additional places it could potentially leak over the stock one piece unit. (I did use plumbing tape on the threads btw) I think of this as a temporary solution. And I was impatient and should have waited because...

I called Nissan today and ordered the real thing. Nissan had the piece in the system for $15.94. So for like 4 bucks more than plumbing supplies you can get the real thing.

(I did not try refrigeration or real plumbing suppliers. Who knows they might've had a one piece unite that would work.)

Took me a while to find the part # but here it is for future elbow breakers:

27070-21600 CONNECTOR- HEATER HOSE

I also ordered the heater hoses from Nissan. For $10.82 and $10.86 respectively. So a total of like $22. The guy on ebay was charging $32 BIN for both hoses w/ $19 Shipping. Thatis $51 bucks folks. Compared to $22 direct form Nissan! And I don't have to wait for some guy in Texas to get around to shipping it. I ordered it today and Nissan says it will be here thurs. A three day turn around!

So hell yeah OL YELLER, I don't think I will ever buy from that guy unless he was the only source for a part on the planet!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.