Repairing welded rear doors/rockers

Have a 69 4DR 510 that had the rear doors welded shut.

I'm taking the 510 down to the neighbours tomorrow to get the rockers/quarters repaired.....nothing fancy.

The problem with welded rear doors is that the water accumulates on the inside and eventually.....rusting out, as seen in pic.

3 options.....repair then cut the factory gap back in the bottom (only) of the rear doors, so the water that comes in from the window drains out the bottom of the door....than out.

Or......after the repairs, drill a couple of drain holes in the door sill....but that would have to go right through the rocker I believe... :huh:

Or....after the repairs....slather the shit out of the inside with some tar/urethane and never let it see water/rain again.... ;)

rearquarters.jpg

Or???????

I'm leaning towards the 3rd option... :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the rear doors aren't gutted... they should be removable and re-useable ... . just grind off the paint where you think the door seam is and cut-off wheel the door seam neatly

... .. There's alot of air space for water to get trapped in... after a few more years outside the rear doors will open anyways ... :lol:

it's going to be hard to fix the rockers right with the rear doors on,,, so 3-4 years and you should be done,, :lol: , or get some Henry's wet patch roof cement and drive it for a few more years

Forgot to mention ...there are fiberglass flares....which I'm assuming are 'mudded' over the rear doors

I think 'we'll' cut the factory slot/gap back in on the bottom and spray/slather the void with paint......then 'wax oil'

Hopefully the drains in the bottom of the door are still open.....which I'll confirm and or 'address'

Oh...... and scuppers are self draining....no need for pump.... :P

WOW

this sounds like fun, we need more pics of wonderfulness

Not quite worthy for posting pics/repairs......... compared to the keeper.. :)

But.....Here's the 'client'

rear2.jpg

Front rails/floors/trunk are good.....not sure what we'll do until we open up the back 1/4s/rails/doors...mucho bondo...etc.

Gratuitous horn shot..... :D

horn1.jpg

Not quite worthy for posting pics/repairs......... compared to the keeper.. :)

But.....Here's the 'client'

Front rails/floors/trunk are good.....not sure what we'll do until we open up the back 1/4s/rails/doors...mucho bondo...etc.

Gratuitous horn shot..... :D

horn1.jpg

Those are awesome! I would totally rock those :thumbup:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

That's what we jokingly call a Tudor - a 4-door with the back doors covered over.

th_rear2.jpg

JR just texted me and said why are horns mounted so low down?

th_horn1.jpg

Bobby-Ewing-dallas-tv-show-31199715-412-550.jpg