Jdm720

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good  :thumbup:

So your stock 14" rims cleared?

Thanks. Yes sir they did. I wasn't sure they would, which is one of the reasons I put it off so long..

What I did, just in case, is remove my rotor, threw it on the new spindle, and mounted it in the rim too see what I was working with. I saw I had a decent amount of space and dived in. 

If my rims had a little higher offset I would've been screwed. Only thing I'm kinda anxious about now is how the 16x8's I ordered are gonna fit.. We'll see when they get here  B)

EDIT: Just saw you asked if my "stock" 14" rims cleared. They are 14" rims, but they aren't the stock ones.. I do have some STs, but as far as I know those won't clear when directly bolting them on. 

Edited by Jdm720

I was thinking of trimming the sleeves, I probably will on the new ones if need be.. I used a pipe wrench on them after a decent amount of frustration at 2 in the AM. I got it pretty damn close, but either it's still very very very slightly off, or it's an illusion. Well, it'll do for now until I get the new parts in the post  ^_^

Looks sweet Jdm!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

So did you use all the hardware that came with the spindles? Or did you not have to use them.

Flo thanks, I did actually. the spacers were necessary to get the calipers in the right position. The new bolts on the calipers.. And all the little cotter pins

Flo thanks, I did actually. the spacers were necessary to get the calipers in the right position. The new bolts on the calipers.. And all the little cotter pins

Next time you replace the rotors, if you get hardbody rotors they will bolt right on. You will not need the spacers that came with the spindles.

When I did mine I went with cross drilled and slotted rotors.

Next time you replace the rotors, if you get hardbody rotors they will bolt right on. You will not need the spacers that came with the spindles.

When I did mine I went with cross drilled and slotted rotors.

Sweet, good to know. I've been wondering what I'm gonna do about brakes in the front..

So I got a few goodies in the mail today, we'll see how these ride.. Still waiting on ball joints

20130725_165946_zps76146898.jpg

So how much you want for your truck.

Nope  :D

Does anybody know what size the nut on the EGR pipe is..? Where it meets on the exhaust manifold.. The highest one of my wrench sets goes up to is 22mm. 7/8 is too small and 15/16 is too big.. I'm thinking it's a 23mm, maybe 24..?

I sprayed penetrating oil on it all last week and it still wants to strip when I try to get it loose with a crescent.. I'm gonna make a plate for the intake manifold and delete the pipe, but I'd like to rock it temporarily on my new un-cracked exhaust manifold until then. I'm getting tired of listening to the awful leak...

• Like 1

Apparently nobody in my shop has that size, it's not very common.. Nor do any of my tool trucks carry it, has to be ordered. Gotta check out pep boys.

Not sure if that nut can be replaced without replacing the pipe. If I can get it off with a wrench I'll just reinstall it. It won't be permanent anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

A few minor additions. I got new shocks, center link, tie rod assemblies, and ball joints installed a few weeks ago. And a few days ago this.....

Before:

SAM_0410_zpsb5a8c895.jpg

SAM_0411_zpsa15c4c23.jpg

Cleanup:

You can't see it, but's really F'd up on the driver's side above the instrument cluster.

SAM_0413_zps9805b87b.jpg

Installed: 

SAM_0414_zps7324d95f.jpg

Oh yeah... I gots me a sexy "new" steering wheel, too

SAM_0415_zps7d8faefc.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied with the dash cover, it fits well. I got it from Rockauto, made by Coverlay. About 50 bucks before shipping (not sure how much it would be as I usually order a bunch of parts at once) You can pretty much install it in minutes, as it's adhered with silicone (included)

Because crack kills.

I'm gonna get a shade and start using it to keep the interior out of the sun as much as possible.. But replacing it isn't too much of a hassle anyway.

Yea I know I was just excited when I got it in the mail haha

• 3 months later...

Time for a so-so update, nothing too exciting.

I've been busy, and when I'm not busy.. Lazy..

Got into a new place where I can down my truck as long as needed. So I've been picking away at it when I can. Pulling out the Z. We'll see what I throw in. I'm gonna handle the suspension, basically get the whole truck cleaned up and finally make some good progress now that I've got another daily. One crappy pic for now.

o5q2r4.jpg

More to come as it happens.

I've only worked on a few, but man I love em. Everything on the engine is accessible. Macks n Volvos suck. Now I'm working on refuse, raise the body, tilt the cab, and BAM everything within reach. None of that pulling a muscle and busting my head open trying to get a damn valve cover bolt

Refuse you mean Garbage trucks,nothing like smell of maggots in the morning.lol

Or maggots falling on you.lol

Refuse you mean Garbage trucks,nothing like smell of maggots in the morning.lol

Or maggots falling on you.lol

Yes, garbage trucks. You know what they smell like though..?

They smell like money.  B)

We've got a bunch of bays, and they actually don't even smell too bad, even before we open the doors in the morning. Or maybe it's just grown on me.. 

Haven't seen maggots in months, we had them every few weeks in the summer. But the don't phase me, they're like little rice crispies that snap crackle and pop when you step on them  :rofl:

Apparently nobody in my shop has that size, it's not very common.. Nor do any of my tool trucks carry it, has to be ordered. Gotta check out pep boys.

Not sure if that nut can be replaced without replacing the pipe. If I can get it off with a wrench I'll just reinstall it. It won't be permanent anyway.

Just in case anyone else is looking for this, the HF service wrench set includes a 24.  I sprayed plenty of PB Blaster, dropped a cheater on it and off she came.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-piece-metric-service-wrench-set-93668.html

As mentioned, the wrenches look pretty horrible (not polished or anything; picture is inaccurate), but they definitely get the job done.